Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 3.4S LUX

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
legacywr

Z4 3.4S LUX

Post by legacywr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi, new member here, looking for advice if you don't mind?

I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 Alpina Z4 3.4S as in the title, is there anything i should be concerned about? Is the BMW engine this conversion is based on a good one?

Thanks in advance.

nick_z4

Re: Z4 3.4S LUX

Post by nick_z4 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Ive just searched google and from what i can see

"the Alpina Roadster S model utilises the renowned ALPINA 3.4 litre six, each hand-built in Buchloe, Germany, and fitted on the production line during the cars’ manufacture."

Looks like its a bespoke built engine
Z4MR

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 pm

I think you will find it based on the M54 fitted to the 3.0i, don't think you will find any real issues with these engines.

flatout

Post by flatout » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Had one back in 2006/07 and really loved it for what it was. They come with between 300-310BHP which is less that the M, but weigh much less 1320kg from memory meaning that power to weight ratio is on par with the Z4M :D if not slightly quicker in a straight line. In terms of engine, i believe it's based on the E36 3 litre lump and bored to 3.4 - red lines at 6.9k so arguably pegged back abit.

IMO, the engine was :thumbsup: and didn't have any issues at all. Alpina tend to build cars for all round drivability, so you don't feel like it's highly strung, more a lazy power delivery - you could tick along in 6th doing 30MPH at just over 1k :thumbsup: .

Not sure what you're looking for in the car, but if its an all round sports car then this could tick your boxes. However, if it's a precision/driver focused tool your looking for, then probably better going for something else. That's the only downside i had with it

PS - how much do they go for these days, probably about the same as i sold mine 4 years ago after loosing shed loads on deptn.. :headbang:
Z4MC -120kg, SS Manifold, H&S Exhaust, 100 cell cats, Gruppe M Induction kit, L/Weight Forgestar wheels on R888's, Recarro PP's & Harnesses, intrax, AP BBK, Strong Strat Brace, RPI scoop, but stock engine :)

***Z4MC now...SOLD SOLD SOLD****

legacywr

Post by legacywr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks for the replies do far. I have heard that the only weak link can be the head gasket?

I'm more interested in it as a top range convertible rather than a hardcore driving machine, so I think it will fit the bill for me. I already have an Alpina E30, and I love the brand!

The car that has caught my eye is black with 60k on the clock, which is being advertised at £13500.

fluxco

Post by fluxco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:48 am

the engine is same as the b3s. head gasket on mine went at 62k. having read up on the internet it wasnt unusual.

the suspension is comfy as standard, i have replaced mine with gaz gold coil overs, with camber plates, poly lower arm bush and rear trailing arm bush, the handling is seriously sharp.

i have also installed a quaife lsd which makes it fun with the traction control off

its a fastish car, but truthfully, I think a z4m would have suited me better.

my next upgrade is porsche 4 pots conversion, the brake is adequate, but leaves room for improvement

legacywr

Post by legacywr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am

Ok, how much did the head gasket cost to replace? This won't be my every day car, I just want a smart convertible, and as I say I like Alpina. A Z4M is probably going to cost me another 5k, and apart from the fact it has 4 tail pipes, I think the Alpina looks better.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 am

legacywr wrote:Hi, new member here, looking for advice if you don't mind?

I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 Alpina Z4 3.4S as in the title, is there anything i should be concerned about? Is the BMW engine this conversion is based on a good one?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum!
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

tjlazer

Z4 3.4S LUX

Post by tjlazer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:30 am

legacywr wrote:Ok, how much did the head gasket cost to replace? This won't be my every day car, I just want a smart convertible, and as I say I like Alpina. A Z4M is probably going to cost me another 5k, and apart from the fact it has 4 tail pipes, I think the Alpina looks better.
If you're after a z4m it shouldn't be much over your budget in convertible form, especially if 50/60k miles is ok with you. It will also be newer but that does mean higher road tax...try both, I think the visual differences of the z4m (when csls are added) and the s54 engine warrant a test drive.
WAS: black on black MR with carbon trim. NOW: IB/Champagne/Carbon ZMC

legacywr

Post by legacywr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 pm

AlanJ wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum!
Thank you! :)

mickl

Post by mickl » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks in advance.
Hi
I have a Roadster S which I have owned for nearly a year now, I am very impressed with this car, I havn't compared with a z4m but
servicing costs are cheaper, on a par with a 3.0 as the engine is, I think, based on the e36 american spec M3 engine with a single vanos, also fitted in the E46 based B3S. Mine has just cliked over 40,000 miles. You will have the option either Lux or non lux. The lux has sat nav, bluetooth, xenon headlamps as extras. You will get an easy 30mpg, I have just got this over a 600 mile run mostly at 80-85mph on the French autoroutes. Road tax is cheaper than an M .Head gaskets dont seem to be a major issue, although there are a few reported incidents.
check http://www.thealpinaregister.com/ for more info. Make sure the all important running in service has been carried out.
You can check to see if the car you are looking at is listed in the register by checking the build no on the plate mounted over rear view mirror, there were only 167 ish of these cars built for the uk market so pretty rare.

Good luck

Mick L

legacywr

Post by legacywr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 pm

It will all come down to what I could get it for? It's not a car I need, so it's a car i shouldn't really buy.. but i was surfing the classifieds... :?

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:55 pm

legacywr, welcome to the forum.... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

legacywr

Post by legacywr » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Well, I have made a very cheeky offer!

legacywr