Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Where Have You Got Yours...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
oo7ml

Where Have You Got Yours...

Post by oo7ml » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm planning on fitting my AUX lead tonite and can't decide where i am going to bring the lead through to... I have seen on several threads that a lot of people have secured it under it to the panel under the air controls, while others have bolted it to the ash tray itself...

I would like to be able to secure an iPhone holder of some sort to the panel under the air controls so that my iphone can be easily accessed, i have tried to illustrate what i want to do below... has anyone managed to do this neatly or has can anyone suggest any similar methods which might be worth a try...

2008 Manual Z4 3.0si Coupe Sport Black (with cream interior)

easty027

Re: Where Have You Got Yours...

Post by easty027 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 pm

panel under the heater controls is great as you dont have to have the ashtray lid open.........job done !

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Couldn't you find a right hand drive car to use. :poke:

Looks a good point to mount though as you can use the cover plate which is easy to replace later on. Alternative would be a brodit mount

oo7ml

Post by oo7ml » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

easty027 wrote:panel under the heater controls is great as you dont have to have the ashtray lid open.........job done !
Thanks, I have no problem bringing my lead to the panel but just need an optiopn to secure the phone itself... something that will snap in and out easily (not asking for much am i :oops: )
srhutch wrote:Couldn't you find a right hand drive car to use. :poke:

Looks a good point to mount though as you can use the cover plate which is easy to replace later on. Alternative would be a brodit mount
HA, actually couldn't... googled the brodit mount... that mount uses the iphone connection... i have a mini jack to iphone connection lead which is supposed to improve the sound (sound is better out of the iphone connection output as opposed to the 3.5 jack)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:32 pm

the brodit mount I meant is a damage free mount that fits to the left of the AC controls and is the mount only nothing to do with phone/gps etc.

I have one, there is a pic in the link in my signature

oo7ml

Post by oo7ml » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Ok cool, i think a neat suction mount would probably be more suitable for me

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Is this a Coupe or a Roadster? If a coupe I'd put it in the sunglasses compartment in the headlining - it's too small for sunglasses but just about right for an iPhone.
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

brodit clip is great, i have 1 for my parrot

oo7ml

Post by oo7ml » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Newbers wrote:Is this a Coupe or a Roadster? If a coupe I'd put it in the sunglasses compartment in the headlining - it's too small for sunglasses but just about right for an iPhone.
I thought about this but not too sure how easy it would be to wire it up there

daveR6

Post by daveR6 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 am

oo7ml wrote:I'm planning on fitting my AUX lead tonite and can't decide where i am going to bring the lead through to... I have seen on several threads that a lot of people have secured it under it to the panel under the air controls, while others have bolted it to the ash tray itself...

I would like to be able to secure an iPhone holder of some sort to the panel under the air controls so that my iphone can be easily accessed, i have tried to illustrate what i want to do below... has anyone managed to do this neatly or has can anyone suggest any similar methods which might be worth a try...

I tried to fit my iPhone holder to the panel your talking about, unfortunately the weight of the phone coupled with the not so plush ride caused the panel to dislodge, the only solution I have found so far is to fit a suction mount disc to the side of the removable panel & use an adjustable mount.
I did consider the ash tray mount, but £120 for a piece of plastic & the risk of damaging the connector on the iPhone when the bumpy ride bounces the phone, I took the ugly but cheap & practical option.
Pm me if you want piccys.
Hope this helps Dave

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:34 pm

I actually "wedge" my iphone 4 between the fat lip of the ashtray and the console above... surprisingly secure actually. I have a clear "zagg shield" on the iphone, so perhaps that aids in the grip a bit, I don't know.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Richard!

Post by Richard! » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I just have an ipod connector in the storage compartment between the seats. Dont need to see the screen :)

On side note why is the image mirrored?

Psy

Post by Psy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Richard! wrote:I just have an ipod connector in the storage compartment between the seats. Dont need to see the screen :)
Same here.

Connected to the CD-changer aux cable, popped a hole into the back of the storage compartment and ipod connects to the cable nice and hidden. Control songs etc through stearing wheel, so no need to ever get it out.

S
'06 3.0si M-sport Auto
Midnight Blue, Pearl Leather, stubby, flappy paddles, foldy mirrors, OEM brace, defoamed, debadged, forum sticker, and now on Falken 452s!

oo7ml

Post by oo7ml » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Richard! wrote: On side note why is the image mirrored?
As I couldn't find a decent google image of a right hand drive car so I just flipped a left hand drive image that I found

Dannyd

Post by Dannyd » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:38 pm

old ipod in glove box connected to the stereo for tunes, iphone in a snap in cradle in the centre console arm rest. simples.
Montego Blue SI Sport, Black Leather & Titanium, Auto, Bluetooth, Ipod, Cup Holders, Warp Drive.