Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DO YOU BELIEVE CRACKED ALLOYS TO BE A WARRANTY ISSUE, click

HELP! DO YOU BELIEVE CRACKED ALLOYS TO BE A WARRANTY ISSUE?

YES- BMW should replace cracked alloys as under UK LAW they have to be fit for purpose.
39%
YES- BMW should incur all costs relating to cracked alloys including tyre replacement.
21%
YES- Out of round measurement is irrelevant (as the dealer cannot prove they were straight / round when they sold the vehicle )
14%
YES- I too am very unhappy with excessive tyre wear on the supplied Bridgestones
9%
YES- I will support you and your cause in order to get BMW UK to take this issue seriously
18%

Total votes: 57

iwatchlive

DO YOU BELIEVE CRACKED ALLOYS TO BE A WARRANTY ISSUE, click

Post by iwatchlive » Thu May 19, 2011 2:30 pm

There are numerous reports of BMW alloy wheels having issues and BMW customers having faulty problems with alloy wheels, run flat tyres, excessive tyre wear and wheels actually cracking - especially on the Style 296 - V Spoke style wheels.

Several of us on this forum have had issues ourselves with tyres wearing excessively and cracks appearing in wheels. :-o Do you have experience of this?

I know that some of us have been misinformed and are really not happy with the lacklustre response we have received so far, some of us have had to fork out for replacement wheels and tyres and have to now run the gauntlet of BMW customer service to try and get a refund. Some of us have used dealers that do not know the out of round measurement, some of us have been given one measurement whilst others have been given a different figure!

Do you feel that as this is clearly a safety issue BMW should replace any cracked wheel no questions asked?
One defence used by BMW is that they measure the wheel in an "out of round" test and refuse a warranty claim if the wheel is outside of their golden value, HOWEVER, if they have not performed this test on your wheels prior to supplying you with the car to prove that they are round when supplied to you, how can they use this as a suitable defence? :shutup:

I am currently in discussions with legal counsel on this matter and have been advised that this defence will not stand up in a UK court, so a few of us are currently considering further action if our costs are not covered under warranty.

Our wheels will be going to a laboratory for investigation into whether there are any defects in either the design &/or the manufacturing of the wheels and tyres. Mine are now back and I am unhappy with the results so will expect a full refund.

Please click any option you agree with & thanks for your feedback, feel free to email me or post your experience here

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: DO YOU BELIEVE CRACKED ALLOYS TO BE A WARRANTY ISSUE, cl

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu May 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Not wishing to step into your specific issue and I have great sympathy, but if you're having a poll and for it to be valid surely there has to be a 'no' option and reasonably worded, albeit few may select it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Thu May 19, 2011 4:19 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Not wishing to step into your specific issue and I have great sympathy, but if you're having a poll and for it to be valid surely there has to be a 'no' option and reasonably worded, albeit few may select it.
This poll is almost as democratic as a general election in Zimbabwe.

Bloody load of tosh. :thumbsdown:
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Thu May 19, 2011 5:52 pm

I think the BBC did a show (report) about this some time back. It's a well known issue, world wide....
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Again e mail watchdog :headbang:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Thu May 19, 2011 6:43 pm

lacroupade wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Not wishing to step into your specific issue and I have great sympathy, but if you're having a poll and for it to be valid surely there has to be a 'no' option and reasonably worded, albeit few may select it.

+1 :thumbsdown:

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Kryton wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
+1 :thumbsdown:
:rofl:
Blimey Guvnor, terribly sorry if I have missed the poll etiquette in some way or other ol chaps, wot wot- however no need to get your panties in a twist over it though folks that's for sure :exitright: :wink: never done a poll before and was having a bit of a paddy after forking out a grand and a half on a wheel, two tyres and associated over priced services- then also having to run the dealer gauntlet just to be able to drive the zed. Anyway, I wasn't looking for democratic, I was trying to see if I had a fair reason for a good bleedin moan and give anyone that is also experiencing this issue (like NickM) to have a moan too; but looks like this point has turned into giving you folks a reason for a moan at me instead of me at BMW huh - still-like me ol grannie used to say - if you stick your head above the parapet expect some bugger to try and blow it off huh :rofl:

Bit of a shame as I thought those of you more learned in polls and forums may have given me some advice because the forum was to here inform and educate not just for ranting at other members - I am however happy to accept fair criticism on my lacklustre ability to get my first poll perfect- all constructive criticism gratefully appreciated, Have a nice weekend all of you happy campers.. :cpilot: ..I'm off for a drive

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri May 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Well you've had a good 'ol rant now. Plea re-read what I posted and then tell me if I was doing anything other than supporting you and offering constructive comment?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm

The issue is, are the cracked wheels isolated cases, or present across a huge range of wheels.

BMW UK did have this issue before and iirc, Watchdog brought it to light, it was a widespread issue, and BMW rectified/replaced wheels.

The tyre wear is a function of driving a sports car with lots of negative camber, in long straight lines everywhere, and having a demographic of customers that are so worried about a flat tyre, that they are given horrible RFT as OEM fitment.

Wheels issue is a concern, I'd start to try work out what % (using good maths) have been effected across ALL the E89 wheel ranges. That is a possible fault of BMW, or just people driving in potholes.

The RFT and weird wear is down to user choice. Do you want a sports car, then live with negative camber wearing inside of tyre if you do lots of motorway work. RFT wear worse than normal tyres in this regard too.
My rear tyres do 12k miles, I do a mix of driving. If I do all motorway and gentle driving, they would probably get 12k, because I just wear the insides at the same rate anyway.

I feel for people with brand new expensive cars and damaged wheels, but keep some perspective. It might simply be the roads damaging the wheels. I've had dinks in my 108's and 107's and had to pay £80 a time to have them removed. I didn't go running to BBS or BMW trying to get replacements!

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri May 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Calm down IWL. LOL Nobodys getting at you mate......a quick google would show you that cracked alloys on ultra-low profile tyres is not a BMW-specific problem by any means......we have crap roads in this country and if you drive such wheels across most of the potholes I've seen at speed then you can expect damage. No manufacturer can legislate fully for that and all we're saying is just put your reasonable head on - its your responsibility to drive sensibly on bad surfaces, its a sports car not a tank. By all means have a good moan but all things in moderation?

If your wheels cracked after just a few thousand miles of smooth tarmac then no question you have a case.....but its totally unreasonable if the damage has occurred after many 000s of miles of spirited driving on A/B/C roads. Thats all.

And of course your poll was silly.........that one you have to take on the chin LOL. :thumbsup:

We look forward to ripping the piss out of you again at some juncture during your long and enjoyable membership :)
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Fri May 20, 2011 1:41 pm

The poll is not silly, however I can see how might be perceived as silly because all options start with the word "YES" :D If you don't agree with the statement, then don't tick the box, that's the way I looked at it anyway. :P

I believe my 296's are ok at the moment, and I hit a few deep pot holes over winter. I would be equally as angry if any of my wheels started to show signs of cracking, and I support iwatchlive on this.

I think I would probably go through my insurance and then take it up with BMW directly rather than the dealer. None of my wheels have ever been kerbed and are in perfect condition, and I try and check the inside rims and pressures regularly.

I would also be tempted to see if the likes of AutoExpress want to make a story out of it? Even the suggestion of this to BMW might make them think about how to handle things.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri May 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote:The poll is not silly, however I can see how might be perceived as silly because all options start with the word "YES" :D If you don't agree with the statement, then don't tick the box, that's the way I looked at it anyway. :P

I believe my 296's are ok at the moment, and I hit a few deep pot holes over winter. I would be equally as angry if any of my wheels started to show signs of cracking, and I support iwatchlive on this.

I think I would probably go through my insurance and then take it up with BMW directly rather than the dealer. None of my wheels have ever been kerbed and are in perfect condition, and I try and check the inside rims and pressures regularly.

I would also be tempted to see if the likes of AutoExpress want to make a story out of it? Even the suggestion of this to BMW might make them think about how to handle things.

But thats no different to saying "I crashed my car into a brick wall and the bloody things got dented so the manufacturer is responsible".....wheels and tyres are made for driving on smooth tarmac, not gurt potholes or kerbstones - I really don't get this argument at all and I'm a right outraged crusty curmudgeon on most things? :? You'll be telling me next that when your steering geometry goes out of line or your tyres wear out on the inside because of speed humps, thats BMWs fault as well? Just what extreme conditions (and yes potholes are extreme whatever you think, thats why you can sue the council for any damage they cause) are manufacturers supposed to legislate for?

I mean even Mr so-called Honest John has been harping on for years about the inadvisability of running ultra-low profile rubber and large rims.....I thought this was an issue that the entire population was aware of?

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Fri May 20, 2011 4:09 pm

But you NEED to run 19's to make these bloated water-retention issue/obese car designs look half decent these days :D

Do RFT users tend to check their tyre pressures every week or two?

I think they can run low without you noticing, and that might make it so any bumps might have more effect on the alloy than if they are inflated (ie, forces are damped more with air at correct pressure)
Does make you wonder :D

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Fri May 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:forces are damped more with air at correct pressure
Does make you wonder :D

Dave
So keeping them at the recommend pressures means that any sudden bump will be less likely to damage the alloy?

Either that or just make sure you drive on "smooth tarmac" as lacroupade recommends! :poke: :P
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

iwatchlive

Post by iwatchlive » Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Well you've had a good 'ol rant now. Plea re-read what I posted and then tell me if I was doing anything other than supporting you and offering constructive comment?
wasn't directed at you pal :wink: