Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2011 Z4 Road Trip

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
RTDGlobetrotter

Re: 2011 Z4 Road Trip

Post by RTDGlobetrotter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:24 pm

An informative thread! I'm also planning a European Road trip for around May 2011. Being careful not to hijack your thread, I'm going to share some thoughts. Also will you be driving solo or with friends?

Route: Get as far South as quickly as possible before boredom has chance to set in. Depending on your objectives and destinations there will be a few options open. I really like the idea, as mentioned by Lance, overnight boat to Spain and hit the interesting roads straight away and the Pyrenees. For me a couple must do way points: the Millau Bridge and the Verzasca Damn as seen in Goldeneye. Heading to see some uni mates in Switzerland, this helps define the route for me.

Now the boring details: check list of things to remember. 2 way radios (if driving with friends), European breakdown cover, European insurance, top up of fluids (oil, screenwash, coolant), head lamp conversion/switchover, roadside warning triangle, fluorescent jacket, and a cracking ipod playlist.

All the best and enjoy the planning!

Z4 2.5si Sport 2007. Titanium Silver, Champagne Nappa Leather, Heated seats, sat nav, 17" turbine alloys, PDC, cruise control, phone prep, comfort pack and Xenon headlights.

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Also in some countries you need to buy a Vignette at the border (motorway tax sticker) for your windscreen. Hungary and Bulgaria come to mind but I'm sure there are others. Don't forget....the cops often wait for easy offenders and the fine is steep

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:04 pm

RTDGlobetrotter - Hijack away, feel free, more info the better

I will be driving with a friend, bought her from tesco recently

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 pm

mikedav wrote:Also in some countries you need to buy a Vignette at the border (motorway tax sticker) for your windscreen. Hungary and Bulgaria come to mind but I'm sure there are others. Don't forget....the cops often wait for easy offenders and the fine is steep
Are you advised at the borders?

Hark

Post by Hark » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Rach* wrote:Will the big passes be open that early in the year?
We went to the Stelvio last year and a few other passes and some were open not all. That was May.

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Taz x wrote:
Are you advised at the borders?
There tends to be 5000 signs saying 'Vignette Here' above lots of huts and shops as you approach the border, but yes usually there is a sign or an official office where you can get one, just keep an eye out when you head towards a border. Not relevant for France, Belgium, Germany etc though

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:34 pm

The Swiss vignette is ONLY required if you use the motorways.

Slovenia there was no charge, most countries that do charge collect via motorway tolls rather than a vignette, not been to Hungary or Bulgaria so not sure.

As Mikedav says though, most European countries don't require one. The following I've been too recently (ish) and are not required, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Spain, France, NLs, Lux, Belgium, Andorra.

The AA/RAC sites will probably have accurate details.

Cheers
L

Rach*

Post by Rach* » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Hark wrote:
Rach* wrote:Will the big passes be open that early in the year?
We went to the Stelvio last year and a few other passes and some were open not all. That was May.
I've been up May/Jun/Jul/Aug over the years, there was snow on the top, but of course the world doesn't stop over there at the first scattering of white stuff :roll:
Z4R drivers do it with their top off

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:42 pm

This may be useful, just type in your countries and all is explained,

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... 45&go.y=18

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:30 pm

I am thinking I may change my dates, leave it till end of May or beginning of June

RTDGlobetrotter

Post by RTDGlobetrotter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Taz x wrote:I am thinking I may change my dates, leave it till end of May or beginning of June
That's what I'm thinking. My friends in Switzerland advise the best passes may still be closed or worse, wet and risky up until end of April, beginning of May. Otherwise, the rest of the route, Millau Bridge, French Riviera etc will be fine from March onwards.

Z4 2.5si Sport 2007. Titanium Silver, Champagne Nappa Leather, Heated seats, sat nav, 17" turbine alloys, PDC, cruise control, phone prep, comfort pack and Xenon headlights.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:20 pm

mikedav, just checked on autoroute, Ljublijana is 1170 miles, not too far, looks a nice destination

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Slovenia is very nice indeed. Near Ljublijana a nice little place Kranska Gora. From that area an its within easy travel to Italy and Austria

My road trip is already planned (ish) for July /August - Planned route is Sail from the Tyne £350 if booked now or about £400 if booked nearer the date (DFDS). Drive from Ijmuiden to the Koblenz area then on down to Staufen-im Breisgau (Black Forest) Drive down thro Zurich to Cher and then over the Spluggen pass into Italy and pootle around Lake Como.
We did the German bit last year so we know the hotels we are staying at and will sort out the Italian bit when we get there.

I know the ferry is expensive but I did my sums and its a break even deal with a 20 mile trip to the ferry on the tyne v a 400mile hike to Dover and a cheap crossing - and because I'm at codger age I would need an overnight hotel prior to the crossing!

I did the Spluga with my Disco 3 and caravan - I'm sure the Z will be faster and less stressful!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:56 pm

is it easy enough to find digs when you are on your travels?

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:27 pm

Taz x wrote:is it easy enough to find digs when you are on your travels?
Yes, never had problems anywhere in Europe. Usually start looking around 5 ish, settle in, shower and then food/beer/wander :thumbsup: