Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Love the new TireRack vert!

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
flyboyaj

Love the new TireRack vert!

Post by flyboyaj » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Sp3ctre, Lovin' the new TireRack vert! I'm gonna use it when I order my Goodyear Eagle F1's in the spring so the forum get's the (however small) donation from the purchase! Excellent idea!

It would be great IMHO if we could get some other links to fill that whitespace up there as well. Not too many, but some of the Forum's favorites like RoadsterSolutions and I can't think of any other's off the top of my head at the moment. Anyway, I feel that would be kewl anytime I wanna do a mod or purchase an upgrade I can come to the forum to read about it, then just click on the vert and go to the site I need to order it.

Would like to hear other member's opinions on this.

Oh, yea, and I wanna see if this works Image and if it does, is it kewl if we do that in threads when we are discussing the verts?
Member ZSCCA

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Love the new TireRack vert!

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:31 pm

Yeah, just to clarify this, those in the UK will not see that, instead there is a (very thin) banner with a link to a UK insurance page... you can see it at http://www.z4-forum.com/insurance

I do not want to scatter adverts all over the site, I know a lot of the members appreciate that, but the forum could do with a little extra funding (thanks, by the way to those who have donated, that's appreciated too) and so I decided to put some specifically targetted adverts in place.

I don't like big flashy banners (very irritating, I think you'll agree), so I decided smaller ones that dont impose too much were a better option, and also they don't push the forum down any further, but instead just fill in white space already there.

Secondly, I wanted to target it... that is to say I don't want you guys in the USA to see UK insurance adverts, just as there is little point people seeing Tirerack adverts in the UK. Firstly it is pointless in that they will never click it, and secondly I do really want these links to be useful, not just a revenue earner.

It took a lot of thinking before I did this as I didnt want to get anyones back up. I hope I have implemented this in a subtle way that won't offend, while giving the forum that little helping hand it needs to keep us growing.

Thaks for the kind words AJ, now get those tyres (tires) ordered :poke:

:D

P.S. Yes, that worked, and yes that's fine to do... in fact it is very much appreciated.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Awesome! You've done great! I think it's classy and appropriate. That's too kewl that you can target it like that too!

And without this Forum, I wouldn't know what kind of tires to get or where to get them from. I would have most likely been ripped off by the stealer when I needed new tires. I need to find a forum like this for my truck too. Damn Fords :lol: . I'll post that gripe in the other marquees section... maybe shipkiller can help me.
Member ZSCCA

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Yeah, I used the same system that I used to build my sig ;)

One thing I did wonder about though, how come you US guys never discuss insurance? It seems such a hot topic over here, but not so much over there, hence I decided Tirerack was a good option. If I could find out which insurers are the best over there I could create a US version of the insurance page. I only want to use recommended insurers though, this is not just a revenue exercise. :)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:18 pm

haha. I never noticed that your sig says "hey there all you guys from the united states!". hehe. too kewl!

Insurance in the US. hmmmm. Don't know. I guess we just all use the same company that we grew up with and have grown to trust. Being the son of an Insurance Actuary I'm well aware of the governments role in regulating insurance prices and required coverages, so the price differences aren't much of an issue, although many uninformed consumers may view the price as a deal maker/breaker. The company I'm insured by isn't available to the general public, although it seems every day that they are opening their doors to more and more people. It used to be available to Military Officers only. In 1996 they decided to offer their products and services to all military members, then soon after to all members and their dependents, and now it's like all members, dependents, veterans and their family members, lada lada ya di da. What's next? "All Members, thier dependents, extended family, and three of your best friends, and three of your extended family's best friends..."???

WTF? By opening it up to all these people they have now assumed a greater risk which has increased my F-ing premiums!!! Now my premiums have to pay for the stupid 16yr old son of Seargent Smith's second cousin - who is probably a gang member in LA.

Dayumm! I just went off on that!! :rofl: Such is life. I liked it better when it was an exclusive benefit whose clientel were all responsible, low-risk adults which kept my premiums way low. I think it's greed that has led them to where they are today. But at the same time, they are AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME on the customer service they provide and that's just worth ANY price they wanna charge me.
Member ZSCCA

seanwr400

Post by seanwr400 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:25 pm

crap, didn't know about ordering from the link here. Next I will I promise. Just got my new wheels/tires today.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:26 pm

No worries mate... all help is appreciated, but if some slip by then it's no biggie! Thanks anyway :D

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:08 pm

2 Zero wrote:Just wondering how you get paid Jim is it per click or is it per order or both??

If it's per click I propose that everyone the baner at least a coupl eof time per day every day.

If it's per order I propose that someone buy me me tires today.
hehe, it's per order... I get stats based on instances and "orders per instance" but the only payment is if a purchase is made. I hate large flashy adverts and am not too fussed on the google ads either so I think we've got a good compromise here... certainly the feedback so far has been pretty good.