Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Car Paint Work Defects!!

ironman69

New Car Paint Work Defects!!

Post by ironman69 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

Hi There
Had my 30i for a couple of weeks now, and loving it!! Anyway whilst I was giving the car a little TLC with a pot of wax I noticed some bad water etching in places, and there is no way this could have happened since I have owned the car. The main problem area was the roof, but there are spots all over the car when you take a closer look, I tried to polish them out but the etching was far too deep. Took it back to the dealers who were excellent and booked it in at their recommended BMW registered bodyshop, who took a look and said it was industrial fallout (Acid Rain) etchings. Anyway they had the car for two days and gave a once over, a full paintwork detail, on picking the car up it looked great in the daylight but up close those marks were still evident under a florescent lamp. So now it looks like a respray job in the badly effected areas, not good. Mine is Sapphire Black which is going to show up most marks I know, but these marks were totally unacceptable. Has anyone else had any such problems?? My car has only just done 500 dry miles.

jamiez

Re: New Car Paint Work Defects!!

Post by jamiez » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:59 am

Its unlikley to require a respray - it just need a PROPER detailing job done, like what can be found on detailingworld.com
BMW dont detail their cars in this way

I know people who have bought brand new cars such as yourself and their 1st stop has been a pro detailer for this very reason

good luck

Jamie
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

ironman69

Post by ironman69 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Again
I hope you are right!! I don't like the thought of any respraying, it was just what the dealer suggested as the next step. I am trying to get this done under warranty as you can imagine, fingers crossed! I will mention about the detailing being of a poor standard, see what they say!!

Cheers for the Jamie!

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 am

Hi,

If you have a look on here pro detailer confirms what Jamie said...
http://www.elitedetailing.co.uk/FAQs (3rd one down - although I doubt your's has been in long term storage)

May be worth dropping them a line to see what they think?

Anyway, good luck! Sucks when you get anything new and it's sub-standard... especially such a nice car.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

ApolloZ4

Post by ApolloZ4 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:44 pm

It sounds like the same as on mine, although only on my 2 roof panels. I noticed it the day I picked the car up when I parked it in my garage under fluorescent light. But It is noticeable in certain lighting conditions outside.
My dealer took the car back for a day to machine polish the roof, but it was raining when I picked it up so looked ok. However later that week when cleaning the car I could still see the marks but not as bad as before and only under fluorescent light.
My dealer has agreed to take it back again for another go whenever it suits me, and I have stressed to them that would not want a respray.
I have not got round to taking it back yet ( been enjoying driving it too much)but I will in the next couple of weeks, I worry a little that they might think I am being too picky, but the car should be perfect, it cost enough!
I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Stu

ironman69

Post by ironman69 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:05 am

Alright Stu
I am 101% with what you wrote, I also worry about being to picky but thirty odd grand affords us to be I think! I am away working at present so it won't be until I get home that I will be able to sort out my paintwork. If you could let me know how you get on when they have a second go I would be very interested to hear what they have to say.
B_____y annoying isn't it!!

Cheers for now

andythescientist

Post by andythescientist » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Out of interest did they put BMW protect on it?

MY previous Z was black sapphire and the dealer insisted on putting protect on (but didn't charge). First time i washed it i noticed some odd marks in the paintwork that looked like concentrated areas of metalic. I stripped the protect off (fairy liquid wash) and redid the sealant with my favorite brand (zaino), which you layer up, after 3 coats the funny marks had gone. Might be worth a try with a proper detail as i;m not a fan of the crap they use in dealers. BMW protect, superguard and the like aren't a patch on sealents like zaino IMO.

ironman69

Post by ironman69 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:43 am

Hi There
No didn't go for the BMW Protect. We had it on our previous X5 and I thought it was a waste of time and money.
I have been in contact with the dealer ship since starting this post, and they are still saying that respraying the roof section (worst affeted area) is the way to go!!
I have been on the detailing world website, some good stuff on there, but I would hate to have a go myself and make a complete bodge job rendering the warranty useless.
Are there any recommended books, dvd's etc recommended to give me a start on detailing as once this paintwork has been sorted I have promised myself to keep on top of the paint protection.

Cheers

ironman69

Post by ironman69 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:43 am

Hi There
No didn't go for the BMW Protect. We had it on our previous X5 and I thought it was a waste of time and money.
I have been in contact with the dealer ship since starting this post, and they are still saying that respraying the roof section (worst affeted area) is the way to go!!
I have been on the detailing world website, some good stuff on there, but I would hate to have a go myself and make a complete bodge job redering the warranty useless.
Is there any recommended books, dvd's etc recommended to give me a start on detailing as once this paintwork has been sorted I have promised myself to keep on top of the paint protection.

Cheers