Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

03~05 FULL circle Brake light BRIEF

Kurts05Z4

Re: 03~05 FULL circle Brake light BRIEF

Post by Kurts05Z4 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:58 pm

I did mine a little different... Instead of just bridging the circuits I installed a nitrous delay controller I had laying around and used it to control relays to bridge the connections. This gives me the option of delaying the illumination of the inner half of the lamp once the outer half comes on. I have it set at a delay of one second right now. It is adjustable from one tenth of a second up to 20 seconds or so. I used the input from the third stop lamp to activate the controller so as not to alter the circuit voltage on either lamp which might bring on the lamp out warning light. I've been using it for six months now without any issues at all. :thumbsup:
The controller is quite small (2"x2"x.5") so it and the relays fit nicely under the trunk liner below the right lamp access panel.

Cool Z4

Post by Cool Z4 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 am

I did mine last Thursday before leaving for the holiday weekend. Took me about 15 min following the pics from the original thread. Really easy to do. :thumbsup: Thanks. :D
ImageImage

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 am

did the how-to also according to original thread, easy as 1-2-3... or is that 3-2-1? Thanks BlacksapphireZ :thumbsup:
Go Topless

Rasalon

Post by Rasalon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:11 am

I did mine today the way cj10jeeper hand done it, it was simple enough but one note of caution, it's not the outside wires... its the first and the second to last... both sides have gray color wires so take the gray and the last wire on the other end and make a bridge. I did mine in 30-40 min while entertaining my 14 month old son :) so it' not that hard and I feel safer with more light in the back warning people that I've got the brakes on :driving:

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:13 pm

This is a safetly feature to warn following drivers when you are braking sharply - why would you want to remove it? :?

Rasalon

Post by Rasalon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Davo wrote:This is a safetly feature to warn following drivers when you are braking sharply - why would you want to remove it? :?
frankly till I got my Z, I had no Idea that If the full light came on it ment that the car was braking hard. and I doubt that I'm the only one... I always went with the old stanby which is Keeping proper distance from the car infront of you... if the car is tailing me, it wont matter how the lights com on, they will still hit me. So, If I can warn people with brighter Brake lights, I am more likely to get their attention and get them to stop earlier. Or so the theory goes :poke:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Rasalon wrote:I did mine today the way cj10jeeper hand done it, it was simple enough but one note of caution, it's not the outside wires... its the first and the second to last... both sides have gray color wires so take the gray and the last wire on the other end and make a bridge. I did mine in 30-40 min while entertaining my 14 month old son :) so it' not that hard and I feel safer with more light in the back warning people that I've got the brakes on :driving:
I did not realise I had given the impression that it was the outer wires?? My posts shows photos of the exact wires I used before, during and after fitting.

In terms of removing a safety device I can see that argument, but firstly I tried and could not get the inner part to illuminate whatever I did. Hard, locked, ABS working, etc. so I reasoned 'all on' is better than half and if I'm braking so hard as to activate ABS to trigger it then the guy behind is certainly going to have a job to stop as quick as a Z4 in any normal car. I also really don't think the average tailgater is attuned to 2 lights means 'sh*t' better really stop...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for this guys, did mine tonight :thumbsup: although I had a moment, because I used the connectors, when I first did it the inner lights did not work, a bit more pressure on the connectors did it, you have to push them home quite firm, guess i was just being cautious :oops:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Rasalon

Post by Rasalon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 pm

No wories cj10jeeper, It just looks that way to me, no one else seems to have a problem :D

Albertoxx

Post by Albertoxx » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:15 pm

Finally I did it!
It took just a little screwdriver (to unplug the pins) two little wires and a couple of clamps. I didn't even solder the wires.
It's easy to recognize the right wires because on the connector they are numbered!

bezza

Post by bezza » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:15 am

Did mine yesterday... quickest mod I've ever done! Only took me 10 minutes in total... and that included making a cup of coffee halfway through! :P

Very pleased with the results! Think is looks a million times better with both lights coming on when i break!

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 pm

I'll do mine tomorrow! 8)
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 am

Quick question, the inner rear light bulb is a single filament so how can this be used as a brake light?

Edited: All done! Looks good, i also removed the pins and soldered a loop in.Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:56 pm

*AL* wrote:Quick question, the inner rear light bulb is a single filament so how can this be used as a brake light?

Edited: All done! Looks good, i also removed the pins and soldered a loop in.Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
I like a guy that does things the right way and solders a link in and not uses chocolate blocks or Scotchlocks :thumbsup:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:50 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
*AL* wrote:Quick question, the inner rear light bulb is a single filament so how can this be used as a brake light?

I like a guy that does things the right way and solders a link in and not uses chocolate blocks or Scotchlocks :thumbsup:
:) Cheers Jeeper for the excellent pics and info!

One thing i noticed after doing this mod is that the rear lights are actually brighter than before, has anyone else noticed this?