Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

+49

Re: AUX DIY

Post by +49 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Pauly_G wrote:Hi all,

Have just removed the radio and vent and plugged the aux 65120153502 cable (purchased through my local dealer) into the radio. Have not plugged the iPod in yet, however when I cycle through the modes all that appears is the radio and CD function.....no Aux function....does the Aux function only appear if it detects a sound source - i.e. when the iPod is actually playing?

Cheers

Paul

I've ordred this part for my car..picking up tomz... £49 inc i paid

Got a really basic question..

Do all these AUX cables let you play via sterio or just the ipod?

Just wondering guys AUX only play IPOD? Can i use anything else? Like a a USB drive? or other phone? as long as it has a headphones outlet? (AUX?)..Like my Samsung i8150? Also do a need a cable for the ipod ? Because the cable a ipob comes with has that weird square block connection that's USB? ...I presume i need one that goes into the headphone slot and into the AUX?

Sorry for the dumb questions...

Great thread!..Really good help

R

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm

To play an ipod or any other mp3 player you need a 3.5mm Jack to jack cable
plugs into headphone socket to AUX socket
This limits the quality of playback to the headphone output
For better quality you need the BMW iPod connection kit which puts a connection cable ( with the familiar apple connector )
to plug into the iPod dock connector usually passed into the glove compartment
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

+49

Post by +49 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:52 pm

wegras wrote:To play an ipod or any other mp3 player you need a 3.5mm Jack to jack cable
plugs into headphone socket to AUX socket
This limits the quality of playback to the headphone output
For better quality you need the BMW iPod connection kit which puts a connection cable ( with the familiar apple connector )
to plug into the iPod dock connector usually passed into the glove compartment
Ok .. So this ipod connecter thing?Doe it plug onto tthe AUX kit i've ordered ? or do I have to order somthing differnt?

Has anyone else ordered this BMW Ipod conncetion thing ?

Sorry i find all this audio stuff very confusing :( lol

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:05 pm

No its a specific "iPod connection kit" for the ipod
Special cable that plugs into back of radio and gives a small level of control over iPod functions via head unit
Utilises the CD cartridge connection so if you have the multi CD player option that is no longer functional with this kit
I believe fitting of the "iPod connection kit" also requires a recode ( well mine did )
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
All BMW family

+49

Post by +49 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 pm

wegras wrote:No its a specific "iPod connection kit" for the ipod
Special cable that plugs into back of radio and gives a small level of control over iPod functions via head unit
Utilises the CD cartridge connection so if you have the multi CD player option that is no longer functional with this kit
I believe fitting of the "iPod connection kit" also requires a recode ( well mine did )

Do you have a part number ? Price dude?

Well i don't have a cd changed... So It would be an empty slot..altho i have Nav/Carver.

So normal AUX does'nt provide any control via the head unit? Just through the Phone/ipod etc etc...

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm

So normal AUX does'nt provide any control via the head unit? Just through the Phone/ipod etc etc....

correct

Dealer fit c £260+vat ish for BMW iPod connection kit but all Dealers charge different labour rates
If you want to fit a Dealer will know all relevant bits
All BMW family

+49

Post by +49 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Think ima go for a basic AUX.... then i can use anything... And install is easy enuff :)

Thanks for advise dude

sbtwister

Post by sbtwister » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Just thought I'd chime in on this one to keep it alive. Bought the Mini cable 82 11 0 153 367 ($29.99) and installed this weekend.
My car is a Sept '05build 3.0i, with Premium (Carver) stereo, DSP, Bluetooth, but no SatNav.
Hardest part is getting out the center vent, but previous instructions will walk you through that. Once the radio was out, the plug from the cable went right in the unoccupied space in the lower left of the radio plug area. AUX mode immediately appeared, and Ipod plug in works right away - no problems at all.
Don't be intimidated by this one -it works great!
Alpine white Z4 3.0i, Dream red leather, M-sport seats, suspension, Xenons, Hot seats, Prem. sound, XM Radio, Aux in, Strut brace, Black grill, CF Roundels, Stubby, Half foam, MM Tips.

planetibo

Post by planetibo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 am

What do you think about this?

12 GBP

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... Track=true

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22 am

planetibo wrote:What do you think about this?

12 GBP

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... Track=true
not sure that's the right plug....
:zzzz:

amro

Post by amro » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 am

i fixed mine on the weekend :) very easy and simple .. it took me 20 mins max.. thanks guys for the steps :)

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:10 pm

I too bought the Mini cable and installed it today in under three minutes (if you don't count drilling the hole in the fascia!). Fantastic sound quality and zero problems!

I can't find the post now, but a really helpful member suggested recently (as I notice overkill did at the beginning of this thread) going in through the panel under the stereo...that pops out easily in seconds with fingernails, then its just a matter of reaching up to the lower left hand corner of the back of the stereo (as you look at he front), feel the space for the plug...then put your hand back in, with the plug itself oriented so the plastic retaining clips are uppermost, then fiddle a bit til it pops in...as I say, mine went in almost immediately.....far easier then getting the vents out - on my facelift roadster I couldn't see any clips at all, no matter how hard I looked, so I was really grateful for this pointer whoever posted it!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(Obviously his doesn' work if you have a CD changer as I suspect getting the plug out is nigh on impossible without seeing it).
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Update on an AUX cable install. After spending a few minutes looking and fiddling with the vents I decided to try and get in underneath the climate unit and fit the cable while the stereo was still installed. I don't have the smallest hands either so after reading a few threads on how tight it was back there, didn't expect to succeed. How wrong I was! With a little movement and ensuring the clip was at the top of the plug, I managed to hear and feel the satisfying 'click' as it located. Stereo switched on, AUX appeared and I now have ipod capability!

In my mind its worth the 10 minutes or so trying this method (regardless of hand size as there's more room than you think) if you are experiencing issues with the vents.

:thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Great - you obviously don't have the bluetooth though, that wouldn't have been so easy to do :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Bought a Kingston iPod/iPhone charger hold thing today but in the car it looks awful, dominates the space and I plan to take back to the shop for refund. Still trying to figure out where I want my mp3 player situated and the ashtray might be a good candidate for conversion. Testing with foam spacers at the moment but it's not permanent. Idea is that it would stop rattling and fit snug. The ProClip option looks okay, or Im going to route the aux cable to the oddments tray. Just don't want clutter messing up the interior look!

Here's my temp spacer system:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us