Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

13 new pets. I must be quackers!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:41 pm

Sadly unless they find water and cover soon the local neighbourhood cats and foxes will have them :cry:

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 pm I also can't face the thought of letting them find their own way to the river, as they have to pass at least two Chinese takeaways. :o

Oh and five Polish food shops; but they aren't a concern, as they are too busy selling stolen Carp and Pike from the said river.
They are beautiful Andy and your garden is probably the safest place for them at the moment. We have a child’s plastic paddling pool if you want to borrow it. 👍

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 pm

TitanTim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:41 pm Sadly unless they find water and cover soon the local neighbourhood cats and foxes will have them :cry:

Tim.
Never seen a fox here and there are only a couple of cats but they don't come near as we have a dog.
Not saying it can't happen but the mother has obviously been sitting on her nest for weeks with no ill effects.

I now feel responsible for their welfare, so need to find out the best thing to do with them. They obviously can't stay here for long. :(
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:04 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:54 pm They are beautiful Andy and your garden is probably the safest place for them at the moment. We have a child’s plastic paddling pool if you want to borrow it. 👍
Thanks Ian. :thumbsup:
I made an impromptu 'pond' for them from a big shallow plant tray. It's about 3" deep but the mother just sat in it and the ducklings can't get up the sides! They struggled to get up the 2" step onto the patio earlier.

I have now put some timber 'steps' up to the new pond so they could get in but don't think they could get out! I don't want to drown the poor little buggers. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 pm
TitanTim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:41 pm Sadly unless they find water and cover soon the local neighbourhood cats and foxes will have them :cry:

Tim.
Never seen a fox here and there are only a couple of cats but they don't come near as we have a dog.
Not saying it can't happen but the mother has obviously been sitting on her nest for weeks with no ill effects.

I now feel responsible for their welfare, so need to find out the best thing to do with them. They obviously can't stay here for long. :(
Hopefully they will be ok if she can find a place with some cover. Were plagued by foxes at the moment they come every night, probably as next door has Guinea Pigs plus a couple of badgers :)

We had some ducklings at work some years ago and thought it best to move them to a nearby river but was advised to leave them as all it will do is stress them and the mother should know what to do. Unfortunately as the days passed we counted less and less of the ducklings until the mother finally led the remaining ones back to the river.

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:11 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:04 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:54 pm They are beautiful Andy and your garden is probably the safest place for them at the moment. We have a child’s plastic paddling pool if you want to borrow it. 👍
I made an impromptu 'pond' for them from a big shallow plant tray. It's about 3" deep but the mother just sat in it and the ducklings can't get up the sides! They struggled to get up the 2" step onto the patio earlier.

I have now put some timber 'steps' up to the new pond so they could get in but don't think they could get out! I don't want to drown the poor little buggers. :)
I think you are just using this as an excuse for not getting on with that car.😀

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:04 pm I made an impromptu 'pond' for them from a big shallow plant tray. It's about 3" deep but the mother just sat in it and the ducklings can't get up the sides! They struggled to get up the 2" step onto the patio earlier.

I have now put some timber 'steps' up to the new pond so they could get in but don't think they could get out! I don't want to drown the poor little buggers.
The mother probably came to you knowing that you were Pondrew!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:11 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:11 pm I think you are just using this as an excuse for not getting on with that car.
The irony is that her nest is about 5 feet from where the body is sat. So I haven't been able to do anything to it today. :roll:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:22 pm

You know you where moaning about your lawn the other day, I think god has given you a sign. Get digging :rofl: We have called the RSPCA a few times for injured birds and hedgehogs, they take them away. Get a big box, put the duckings in it wrap the duck in a large towel so it can’t flap and get hurt. Take them all to the river. :thumbsup: I get the wife to handle stray birds it’s safer that way :rofl:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:24 pm

You could gently spray them with water, they might like it.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Wed May 01, 2024 12:32 am

We have the River Soar at the bottom of our garden, duck families usually make camp there and swim off eventually.

A couple of years ago we found a brood in the middle of the village, we put the ducklings in a cardboard box and took them down to the river, followed all the way by the anxious mother duck. Released them all into the water, the mother duck gave us a look of severe disapproval.

Gratitude or what?
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 01, 2024 8:16 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:04 pm

I think you’ll find they float 😉
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 01, 2024 9:40 am

Mother and all twelve doing well this morning. Wandering around the garden without a care in the world.

Just got to watch for Sparrowhawks. We have a few around here. I have seen those take a full sized pigeon! :o

The dog went outside, took one look at them and came running back into the house! :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 01, 2024 11:11 am

Well I spoke too soon!
Mother duck decided it was time to leave, so managed to get the ducklings out of the garden by flying over one of the gates and calling them. They are small enough to get under.

She made her way down to the bottom of the cul-de sac and was sat there.
I went down to check and only counted 9 chicks (not 12)! I looked everywhere for the other 3 until I realised they had fallen down an open drain in the road!

With the help of a crowbar and a neighbour (to keep the mother away), I managed to pluck the three from the drain. I have put a board over the drain for now!
So all 12 back with mum but she has gone the wrong way and can't get out of the cul de sac! :(

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed May 01, 2024 12:53 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:11 pm The irony is that her nest is about 5 feet from where the body is sat. So I haven't been able to do anything to it today. :roll:
Not even give it a decent burial…best leave it wrapped in the tarp for now!
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone