Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuss-free way of getting key fob to open/close roof….?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JimmyRichE85

Post by JimmyRichE85 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 pm

Hi … I’m trying to establish what might be the easiest way of getting my 2005 E85 to open/close the roof via the key fob? I’ve read about various OBD readers such as Carly can do this but that they can be a bit hit or miss in their success. I would have little use for an OBD device beyond this requirement so wondered if it’s easier (and possibly cheaper?) to just go somewhere and get it done? I live in Bath if anyone knows of someone local who might be able to do this. All advice is very much appreciated! Many Thanks 🙏
2005 E85 3.0i Manual - Black Sapphire
2019 G01 X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:11 pm

Long way to Southampton but I’ll be down there Wednesday 24th and could code it
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

steve69

Post by steve69 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 am

You need either a Carly kit or a CAM bus to USB adapter and BMW Scanner 1.4, i've just ordered the latter this morning as it goes and am Bristol based so I could do this for you, you'll have to wait until next week though once it arrives and i've tested that it's working properly on my own motor :thumbsup:

JPB

Post by JPB » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:57 am

Personally, I'd recommend the Gaptech roof module every time. It's about £95 delivered, you remove the ashtray and follow the instructions to connect the cables and then you can do it all off the key, or press the button inside for 0.5 sec and it'll automatically engage the movement, you can even drive off as it goes down.
http://gap-tech.co.uk/rchp.html
Totally fuss-free and simple-as to install. But I would do away with the connectors that come with it (though they do work) and opt for either chock blocks or maybe wago connectors or similar for a decent connection.
Jase
Z4 E85 3.0SI 2006, Sapphire Black.

Previously:
Z4 E85 3.0i 2003, Sterling Grey.

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm

Guys …just to add I have GAPTECH MODULE…which i will be listing on here this weekend once I have removed it from the car I’m dismantling.

steve69

Post by steve69 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 pm

I'm interested! Saves me holding the button down for 15 seconds. How much are you looking for?

JimmyRichE85

Post by JimmyRichE85 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm

Many thanks to all the responses on this topic.

An interesting twist took place today… previously I have tried to activate comfort opening after the car was already unlocked - today, I tried holding down the unlock button on the fob as the first operation and, to my surprise, the windows and roof duly opened 😎

I then tried the reverse - ie holding down the lock button on the fob and nothing at all happened bar the car locking- windows and roof remained down!

So, I’m reckoning that some recoding may have been undertaken but not certain whether it is user error or lack of coding that’s stopping the closing….

The mystery continues… 👀👀

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 pm

JimmyRichE85 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm Many thanks to all the responses on this topic.

An interesting twist took place today… previously I have tried to activate comfort opening after the car was already unlocked - today, I tried holding down the unlock button on the fob as the first operation and, to my surprise, the windows and roof duly opened 😎

I then tried the reverse - ie holding down the lock button on the fob and nothing at all happened bar the car locking- windows and roof remained down!

So, I’m reckoning that some recoding may have been undertaken but not certain whether it is user error or lack of coding that’s stopping the closing….

They mostly are set to open like that. Two minutes coding and I can get it to close for you as well.
My offer above still stands

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Bmwz4ruby

Post by Bmwz4ruby » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am

Not wishing to take this off topic but can the E85 be coded to flash indicators when unlocking and also do 3 flashes when changing lanes?
I also need to do something with the roof as only opening on the key is rather annoying.
2006 E86 3.0 Si Sport, Ruby Black
2006 E85 M Roadster, Sapphire Black

JimmyRichE85

Post by JimmyRichE85 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 pm
JimmyRichE85 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm Many thanks to all the responses on this topic.

They mostly are set to open like that. Two minutes coding and I can get it to close for you as well.
So sorry- I thought I had replied to you- my bad 😞 That’s a really kind offer but I’m afraid I’m away with work then. Really appreciate your offer of help so thank you sir 🙏🙏

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am

JimmyRichE85 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 pm

So sorry- I thought I had replied to you- my bad 😞 That’s a really kind offer but I’m afraid I’m away with work then. Really appreciate your offer of help so thank you sir 🙏🙏
No worries at all.
In the longer term a gaptech may be your solution anyway.