Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:34 pm

I didn’t get to charge into sorting the suspension out on the car this weekend due to poor weather last night and other distractions, including this one’s arrival

I also received a text to say that my refurbed wheels were ready for collection so I headed over to pick them up because it was easy to steal my wife’s E91. This is where this update might get a bit controversial….

I’ve never liked the 108’s but I struggled to find other options so ended up with a set of 261’s which I picked up last weekend. I decided to be a bit braver than silver / pale gunmetal so opted for a satin gold. I chose a colour which looked quite pale in the paint catalog (in my head I was thinking Porsche gold rather than something bolder like Ferrari gold). Upon arrival I had a bit of an oh s**t moment because they were much closer to the latter than the former particularly under the harsh light at the painters.

Anyway, I paid and took them home to get them ready for fitting with some trepidation. First up was a quick clean before applying a coupe of coats of Alien Magic ceramic spray. At this point, they were still looking very very bright.

It was then time to fit them.

Seeing them against the dark blue paint a made me start to feel a bit more at ease. It’s certainly quite bold, but I think it works.

It was then time to take a few better pictures but the colour proved quite difficult to capture accurately with a phone - it often looked really yellow. These are a few that look vaguely like it does in real life.

Whilst the outcome is a bit different to what I initially had in mind and it wasn’t love at first sight when collecting them, I’m actually pleased with how they’ve turned out. The colour works with the dark blue and suits the unusual shape of the car, but I’m well aware that they’ll be a bit marmite.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm

It's good to see something different and the colour works well with your dark blue car. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:30 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm It's good to see something different and the colour works well with your dark blue car. :thumbsup:
Thanks. They’ve proved to be a bit divisive, but I’m pleased and as you say the good works with the dark blue.

Meds

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Meds » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pm

Good to see you on here, Sam.
We move in similar ways.
130i Limited Edition to Z4 Coupe with 216 wheels.
Are we seeing you at Gaydon this weekend?
E86 3.0si - Koni, Eibach, Eisenmann. viewtopic.php?t=143973
F31 340i MPPSK - Carrying family, bikes, kayaks and everything else.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:58 pm

Meds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pm Good to see you on here, Sam.
We move in similar ways.
130i Limited Edition to Z4 Coupe with 216 wheels.
Are we seeing you at Gaydon this weekend?
Cheers mate.

Unfortunately I can’t make Gaydon this weekend due to catching up with family. Well have to get a C&M dinner sorted…

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

I removed the side badges last night for a slightly cleaner look.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm

Since having the car, it’s always had a tendency to tramline. Sometimes it’s ok, but other times it’s quite bad. It’s better since ditching the sh***y Dunlop tyres it came with.

So today, I set about replacing the front wishbones, drop links and ARB bushes. It took longer than anticipated because the nuts for the middle ball joint on the front wishbones was larger than I thought / read online. I had to make a mast minute dash to Halfords for a 22mm spanner and Sod’s Law, my local store didn’t have one in stock, so I had to go a bit further afield.

The passenger side was dead easy because access is better but it’s a pain in the bum on the drivers side because of an engine mount which restricts you to teeny turns.

I fitted the following:
  • Moog wishbones
  • Moog tie rod assemblies
  • Mood drop links
  • Powerflex ARB bushes
To my untrained eye, the existing bushes didn’t look too bad but I’m pretty sure they were original because the wishbones were BMW branded ones.

To improve access to the middle nut on the drivers side, I dropped the whole ARB (which is a bit crusty).

And all fitted.

It was my first time getting up close to the underside of my car, and a few things were spotted.
  • Access flap for the oil drain plug is missing so I’ll get one ordered
  • Oil sump is weeping ever so slightly
  • Passenger side disc was missing the retaining screw and it turns out the thread is shagged and very rusty. I’ll see if running a tap through will save it, if not the front hub will get replaced at some point
  • The fan had previously been removed and whoever fitted it missed the various groves and clips lower down so it was flapping about. This has been refitted properly now
Tomorrow I’m tacking a few rear jobs; new RTAB, bush carriers because mine are rusty as and rear drop links. I seem to have lots of front toe, so I need to adjust the tie rods if I get time.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Wed May 01, 2024 1:50 pm

Having replaced a few bits on the front end, I set about working on the rear end on Sunday. I was supposed to replace the rear drop links but I decided it was too much of a ball ache, especially with some of the bolts being so crusty. Access isn’t the best around the back end on these.

When I took the car for an alignment originally, the chap doing it was wary of adjusting the rear because the carriers for the RTAB were pretty crusty (he did show me) and the bolt heads didn’t look too clever, but they same out without too much fuss, I think one needed the socket forcing onto it.

Passenger side carrier free.

The bush looked a bit scabby.

The tool used for pressing out the old bush was an eBay special.

I needed to use a breaker bar on the tool, with the arm braced against the car with some wood and supported by a jack to stop it moving too much. It did come out though.

I had planned to use Powerflex Heritage RTAB, but they didn’t seem to fit into the arms very well and I couldn’t find a way to get the carriers over them whilst keeping the, in situ so I gave up and used the normal Powerflex bushes which seemed easier to install.

Once the passenger side was buttoned up, it was time to crack in with the drivers side. The carrier this side seemed far crustier.

The bush was also much more tired.

It was also much more of a sod to get out, requiring a lot of force.

The car was aligned on Monday and generally feels much better to drive. It’s nowhere as planted though as speeds pick up compared to my old 335i although that was running extra front camber plus as many M3 arms that would bolt on. It was also set up by String Theory, so I think I’ll treat this to a better quality alignment.

chanlon1

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by chanlon1 » Wed May 01, 2024 3:54 pm

That's a neat idea for the base of the axle stand to sit in and not damage the driveway.
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri May 03, 2024 9:26 am

chanlon1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:54 pm That's a neat idea for the base of the axle stand to sit in and not damage the driveway.
I made them to help get the car level when changing gearbox oil etc. my drive has a very slight slope.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri May 03, 2024 10:02 am

I ticked off a few little jobs last night.

The trim above the radiator was missing a few fixings, so these were replaced.
IMG_7514.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg (140.21 KiB) Viewed 30 times
IMG_7515.jpeg
IMG_7515.jpeg (140.07 KiB) Viewed 30 times
Whilst the plastic trim was off, I treated some surface rust with Jenolite. Giving that removing the whole piece looks like a big undertaking, I’ll just tidy it up with some Hammerite in due course.
IMG_7516.jpeg
IMG_7516.jpeg (173.23 KiB) Viewed 30 times
Next up was replacing the access hatch for the sump plug.
IMG_7517.jpeg
IMG_7517.jpeg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 30 times
The car was then washed, just in time for today’s forecast downpour. Joy.
IMG_7519.jpeg
IMG_7519.jpeg (170.26 KiB) Viewed 30 times
IMG_7520.jpeg
IMG_7520.jpeg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 30 times
I did notice a few more fixings missing in the engine bay, so these have been ordered.

I’m found to change the passenger side wheel bearing because the thread for the disc retaining screw is knackered. Whilst the bearing is off, I’m going to replace the dust shield which is currently held in place with zip ties. After that I can fit my new ATE discs and ceramic pads. The current pads create a lot of dust, so I can’t wait to change them.