Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lookign for my first Z4

First port of call for new members
Bear

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by Bear » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am

If it costs you £500 over 18 months you’ll be doing very well! They can bite you fast with various engine gaskets, brake lines, and other bits.

Or not, of course. But I’d have a bigger slush fund in mind than £500.

coldel

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by coldel » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:18 am

Maybe do get yourself up to speed on basics of mechanics if you have owned so many cars? You Tube is a great source of info.
It really isn't that hard to do some jobs, that would set you back a couple hundred quid in a garage.
Life skills as well, all transferable to the next car :thumbsup:
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:41 am

I take it that £500 is for unexpected bills and does not include VED/fuel/insurance etc?

Tbh a mechanical inspection is no guarantee that a big bill will not present itself a few weeks/months after purchasing. At that age and price point i'd be expecting some bills along the way.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Bear

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by Bear » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:19 am

You know that post I made up there, about £500 over 18 months being a bit lean possibly?

I then got in my car and the power steering ECU appears to have shat itself - £500 fix on the nose. So I didn’t even make it 1.8 hours let alone 18 months.

Edit: Sorry, I'm painting a bad picture of them - it was more the comical timing from drinking a coffee and posting that they can bite you, and then my own biting me for £500 an hour later!

They have foibles, they have 'problems' but the thing is they're not exaggerated - they're real! They will leak oil, they will fizzle brake lines, their expansion tanks will go and they will do other stuff like throw airbag module problems or apparently crap their PS ECU If you buy one and you get away without one or a few of these problems hitting you, then you will be doing well - and I hope you do, that one looks very nice and may have had a load of these things done already....that's what my advice would be - look for one of them.

Zed Baron

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:23 pm

Cars can throw up problems at any age, I must admit I've been very impressed by my E89. I've owned it 9 years and all that I've had to fix (touch wood...apart from serviceable items and tyres) were the two rear springs and a headlight adjusting rod, not bad for a car that will be 15 this year. Made me decide that its replacement will be another Z4, but this time I'll have a long warranty with it.... just incase :lol: .

coldel

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by coldel » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:41 pm

Both my E85 and E86 have been good as gold touch wood. I did though spend good amounts of time checking out multiple options and going for the best one on condition (rather than miles) and so far all good aside from a few little jobs I fixed myself.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Deepseaskateboard

Lookign for my first Z4

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:53 pm

You can take it to BMW for a health check.

They will inspect the car thoroughly as they want the business!

Search for BMW health check in google and have them do it.

I think it costs around £40-45

Also check MOT history and look for advisories and ask if they have been dealt with.

If they find anything you could use as a negotiation point.

Keep the other £2000 spare for service / maintenance & repairs. Expect some issues, but that is part of car ownership.