Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag Resistor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
clubinmonkey

Airbag Resistor

Post by clubinmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:26 am

Hi everyone!

I was hoping to see if someone else has had this issue...

My airbag light has been on for almost a year and now my MOT is around the corner!

I've had the car diagnosed and it is a faulty airbag resistor (low voltage) on the passenger side. (Error code 93E7 SIM)

I'm struggling to find a garage willing to sort the problem. The part looks relatively cheap online, but I can't find clear information on the location of the airbag resistor... I've also read that sometimes a bypass is installed on the airbag system? Which could be the case for mine as the roof motor was relocated prior to me buying the car.

ALSO, I have a lot of water ingress in passenger side from the roof cavity which I'm guessing may have caused this issue. I've had piper cleaners up the drain plug hole, got some gunk out but it's atill not draining so I'm guessing it's also blocked from above!

Any tips?

Thank you!!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by bigwinn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 am

Morning

Where you based?

I’d say the issue is water ingress probably from a failed door membrane will have killed the module- is the area under the seat damp?

I wouldn’t try to bypass the airbag unless it’s the last option- best to get a new module and code to the car once you have sorted the water issues!

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 am

If it's all wet on that side then it could possibly be the left airbag module, that sits almost on the floor at the base of the B-pillar.
Whip the carpet up in that corner and see if it is wet, or corroded around the plugs.
(This is assuming it's a pre-facelift?)
If you can define exactly which component is at fault then I can possibly help you out.
I have a few modules here, but would need to double check against your part number.
I can fit and recode in 2 hours or less.

I'd suggest a good search on the forum for that code.
For example, bigwinn found his was just a dodgy connection.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

clubinmonkey

Airbag Resistor

Post by clubinmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am

Thank you for the speedy replies!

I'm based in Kent and my z4 is a 3.0l manual 2003 plate.

I'm currently at work so I'll have a look into the connections this evening. Should I disconnect the battery while looking? Thanks a lot for your tips! I will reply once I've had a rummage.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by bigwinn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:51 am

Deffo disconnect the battery when dealing with airbags and let them sit for 20 mins

The other issues I’ve seen connection wise are in the door connector where corrosion causes pin issues

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 am

clubinmonkey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am Thank you for the speedy replies!

I'm based in Kent and my z4 is a 3.0l manual 2003 plate.

I'm currently at work so I'll have a look into the connections this evening. Should I disconnect the battery while looking? Thanks a lot for your tips! I will reply once I've had a rummage.
Don’t disturb any airbag plugs with the battery connected. It will give you even more faults. Disconnect and wait twenty minutes.
If you prise out the coin holder behind the handbrake you can just about get at the plug on the centre module (SIM85).
I’m a couple of hours from you but if you need a module sorting let me know.
However it will have to be after 25th March as I’m away on holiday.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by Zedebee » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:07 pm

bigwinn, enuff_zed. Out of interest, why wait 20 mins after disconnecting the battery? Do the modules have an internal power supply, or is it a case of letting any residual charge in capacitors dissipate?
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:35 pm

Zedebee wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:07 pm bigwinn, enuff_zed. Out of interest, why wait 20 mins after disconnecting the battery? Do the modules have an internal power supply, or is it a case of letting any residual charge in capacitors dissipate?
Dunno. Except a BMW tech told me ten minutes and I’m doubly cautious 🤣

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Airbag Resistor

Post by bigwinn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:55 pm

I think it’s about ensuring any residual current (and maybe even static energy) is out of the system. I don’t think there are any capacitor type products in the circuit but it makes me feel safer

EWS Delete PM me