Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WANTED Chaser tool for rewiring

You must have a post count >25 to post adverts in here (private sales only, no traders)
kis
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by kis » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 am

Morning gents

After a chasing tool for wiring routes for a room I’m rewiring. Just maintenance, nothing fancy!

If anyone has a tool they’re looking to sell or don’t mind me borrowing (hire). Please do let me know?

As with most things, pointless me getting my own for just a few days work, after which it probably won’t ever see daylight again :lol:

Thanks in advance! Kis
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by MikeyH » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:04 pm

Never bothered with such fancy things, hammer and chisel works fine for me every time :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:12 pm

MikeyH wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:04 pm Never bothered with such fancy things, hammer and chisel works fine for me every time :thumbsup:
Agreed. Or hammer and bolster. Chasing tools make horrendous amounts of dust. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

jock156

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by jock156 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:30 pm

Your local hire place such as HSS rent them out per day/ weekend! :D

Umfaan

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Umfaan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:40 pm

Modern Chasing Tools are Silent and Dust freehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJcP9ZBScs :D

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by MikeyH » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:52 pm

Not as much fun as bashing things with a hammer though :rofl: :evil: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:53 pm

At my previous house I wanted to put some wires under a wooden floor, so before I laid the floor I cut two lines across the concrete screed with a small angle grinder then chased between the lines with an SDS drill and a chisel attachment.

Worked really well, but I had to spend ages clearing up afterwards! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Pondrew » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:18 pm

Umfaan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:40 pm Modern Chasing Tools are Silent and Dust freehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJcP9ZBScs :D
Only on youtube and when you are being paid to advertise them!

BTW it is illegal to carry out rewiring work (even in your own home) without a 'Part P' electrical certificate and has been for a good few years. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:18 pm BTW it is illegal to carry out rewiring work (even in your own home) without a 'Part P' electrical certificate and has been for a good few years. :thumbsup:
Maybe, but it's only illegal if you get caught. :lol:

But when I was cutting a channel in my floor in 2012 it was only to get connections to a Sky Dish and internet modem to the other side of the room for my TV so Part P probably didn't apply. Then again these days you never know. :?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Pondrew » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:18 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 pm But when I was cutting a channel in my floor in 2012 it was only to get connections to a Sky Dish and internet modem to the other side of the room for my TV so Part P probably didn't apply. Then again these days you never know. :?
Only applies to mains voltage cabling. :P
It's a safety thing to stop people burning their houses down and for others' safety, especially when it comes to chasing cables which are then hidden.
There are very specific 'rules' for chasing cables and your average 'DIYer' may not know them. Years later someone may presume a cable is in 'x' place in a wall but it may not be if the installer didn't know the rules.

I am not usually one for 'nanny state' rules and regulations, but when it comes to potentially lethal electrics, I am all for it TBH.

Some of the DIY electrics I have seen over the years when renovating houses would make your toes curl. :o

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:18 am
I am not usually one for 'nanny state' rules and regulations, but when it comes to potentially lethal electrics, I am all for it TBH.

Some of the DIY electrics I have seen over the years when renovating houses would make your toes curl. :o
I've had a buzz from a few DIY installations in previous houses, but 240V hasn't killed me - yet! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by Pondrew » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:55 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 am I've had a buzz from a few DIY installations in previous houses, but 240V hasn't killed me - yet! :lol:
You have been lucky, then. 240v 'holds you on', 415v 'throws you off'.

it's not the voltage per se, it's the fact that mains electrics has a frequency of 50hz, so the electricity tries to make your heart beat at 50 times a second. That's what kills people; cardiac arrest or physically bursting the heart. All good fun!

Anyway, back to chasing tools..... :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by john-e89 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:03 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:18 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 pm But when I was cutting a channel in my floor in 2012 it was only to get connections to a Sky Dish and internet modem to the other side of the room for my TV so Part P probably didn't apply. Then again these days you never know. :?
Only applies to mains voltage cabling. :P
It's a safety thing to stop people burning their houses down and for others' safety, especially when it comes to chasing cables which are then hidden.
There are very specific 'rules' for chasing cables and your average 'DIYer' may not know them. Years later someone may presume a cable is in 'x' place in a wall but it may not be if the installer didn't know the rules.

If anyone ‘Presumes’ anything doing any work beit lekky or water then they ought not to be going anywhere near it.

Makes zero difference what the rules are, if a cable or pipe won’t go where it’s supposed to it’ll get routed another way, always been this way and always will, If you don’t know that then leave well alone.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by kis » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 pm

Cheers for the info/recommendations guys.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I was after Barry, just not keen on buying new kit that expensive as it's not something I'll be using frequently enough.

Interesting to read about part P stuff. I always thought maintenance, i.e. like for like works can be undertaken by the homeowner (if so inclined). That was the route I was going, and obviously I'd need to get a new cable into the wall somehow... hence being able to chase and not fall foul of current regs. Am I wrong?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Chaser tool for rewiring

Post by john-e89 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:27 pm

kis wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 pm Cheers for the info/recommendations guys.

Yes, that's the kind of thing I was after Barry, just not keen on buying new kit that expensive as it's not something I'll be using frequently enough.

Interesting to read about part P stuff. I always thought maintenance, i.e. like for like works can be undertaken by the homeowner (if so inclined). That was the route I was going, and obviously I'd need to get a new cable into the wall somehow... hence being able to chase and not fall foul of current regs. Am I wrong?
You’re fine to do your own work Kis, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to buy anything without an electricians cert… :lol:

Part P is for signing off extensions, new builds, anything out of the ordinary etc, you don’t need it to add a circuit or the type of work you’re doing to your own home Kis, you’re good to go.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29