Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Spa - Delivered!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - Or maybe not!

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:55 pm

Wayo11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 pm Thanks Martin. Another £1k… is that the only thing it could be? I.e. it would definitely solve the issue?
I’ll be really honest, I am not sure at this point. Lot of money to throw at it.
Take an M54. So much easier
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:20 am

They never had this much trouble on the 'Top Gear' specials IIRC.

Mind you they had about £20 million budgets and an army of mechanics.

I've heard the weather in Spa is shite anyway! :oops:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:30 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 pm 2A82 Vanos Inlet code
Just so you can have some input from a N52 owner the answer is .............I don`t know but I am following your progress .Just found this post here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097516
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:16 am

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:30 am
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 pm 2A82 Vanos Inlet code
Just so you can have some input from a N52 owner the answer is .............I don`t know but I am following your progress .Just found this post here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097516
Thanks. Yes, that was the post that led me to carefully inspect the vanos unit for damage.
If you follow it through it almost matches the work I have done.
Pretty sure the answer now would be to replace the inlet cam carrier. Doable but damned expensive as far as I can make out.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 am

Just done a bit more research and realise I have been slightly misled.
Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems the exhaust cam sits on a replaceable ledge, but the inlet cam sits directly onto the machined head.
So I don't even have the option of replacing the ledge.
It's live with it or replace the cylinder head. :headbang:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 am Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems the exhaust cam sits on a replaceable ledge, but the inlet cam sits directly onto the machined head.
Yes I have just read the same . Could be worth a cheeky phone call to BMW parts department to check with them if it is replaceable or not . Going back to the solenoids I have read that you swapped the solenoids over but did you try swapping the connectors to check they are on the right way round as I can`t see that you have tried that in your posts anywhere ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:25 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 am Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems the exhaust cam sits on a replaceable ledge, but the inlet cam sits directly onto the machined head.
Yes I have just read the same . Could be worth a cheeky phone call to BMW parts department to check with them if it is replaceable or not . Going back to the solenoids I have read that you swapped the solenoids over but did you try swapping the connectors to check they are on the right way round as I can`t see that you have tried that in your posts anywhere ?
Yes I did double check that thanks. Compared it with the NewTIS illustrations where it actually states that they can be fitted wrongly. However, I'm not sure the routing would allow them to go on the wrong way round, not without them pulling tight and being obviously wrong.

This morning I went for a chat with the Mot-ists.
If the MIL comes on during the test it is a fail. However, they then reset it and providing it stays off they will sign up an immediate retest. As I provide them with a regular supply of Z4 tests to do it has been suggested that they may even reset it during the original test. I can neither confirm nor deny that statement though.
What this means is that even if Wayo11 decides not to risk it, then we can fall back on our original agreement, with me buying the car off him. I would happily use it as a daily runner as once it gets over itself on start up all is fine.

So, on my return from my hols, it's tax and insure it and I'll use it throughout April to see what transpires.

Whilst out and about I also popped in to see the old boy I take stuff beyond my abilities to. He listened to everything I had done and before I could even mention the cam ledge he said "You any good at fitting new cylinder heads?". :cry:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:25 pm "You any good at fitting new cylinder heads?".
:(

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:47 pm

Enuff_Zed,

Hope I'm not taking your thread too much off topic. As a happy-so-far N52 owner, I've been following this thread. A while ago I tried to search the forum for information on N52 cam ledge problems, but I didn't come up with anything significant (maybe my search was poor).

ZPost, one US-based vendor, and a variety of YouTubers have commented on this issue. Can you or your "old boy" help me with solid information whether the engines that experience "cam ledge failure" are primarily poorly-maintained, whether only certain production ranges were affected, or whether it's every N52 that still has the steel sealing rings?

There was apparently a BMW TSB (at least in the US) to check and replace the steel sealing rings with an updated reinforced polymer seal - similar to the Besian-developed VANOS update rings that I once installed on my M54. Trouble is, I have checked with my local BMW main dealer who informed me that here in the US the individual service records don't rest with BMW USA, but with the dealership . . . a "not us" answer. Most concerning to me, was that one Z4 owner (on ZPost, IIRC) shared that his car was listed as having the TSB performed, but when he replaced the VC gasket and removed the intake cam cap, he found it still had steel rings :(

I didn't know this when I replaced my VC gasket, ESS sensor & seal, and Valvetronic gasket (preventively, weeping ESS seal). Since I have the Silver Top (early) N52, inspecting my cylinder head (intake) and cam tray (exhaust) to see whether the TSB was performed will mean I need to re-do most of that work, along with new VC gasket and aluminum screws.

Maybe I just have to do that - before I experience any symptoms (at 98K just now). Thanks for your input !

Mark
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:55 pm

Well my research seems to suggest it happened some time in 2007, which is the year of this car. This engine is a black top.
I have no prior experience of this, and very little with the N52 in general. From the lack of forum input I'm guessing it is not something that happens very often.
The only real way to confirm it is to take things apart it seems. I could have dived in deeper, but the whole point of this project is to make it as cheap as possible.
Whilst I am not entirely convinced it will work, I have been offered another DME from a forum member, so after my holiday I will try that and see if it could possibly be a signal from that which isn't working.

As an aside, I would definitely recommend getting those two non-return valves out and cleaning the filters on them. It isn't quite as difficult as I thought it was, as long as you go in through the wheelarch.

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:51 am

Very interesting thread and progress so far. I’ve a silver top N52 E86 and have slight fluttering on start up, but not to the 2k that you refer to. I also just came across all that cam ledge stuff recently.

Two things…
Who or what is Janis? They are mentioned on page 1 and 2 but no idea who they are.
Secondly, could the idling be a vacuum leak in a pipe? They say the ccv breather pipe at the back of the engine can be brittle along with possible crack in the pipes around the throttle body. I didn’t see anywhere in the thread if you have checked those?
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

Wayo11

Post by Wayo11 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:54 am

Hi chanion1. Janis is the previous owner of the car who sold it to me. I will let Martin respond on your second question when he is back from his holiday but thanks for the suggestion!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 am

I have checked all the pipes etc. All in good nick.
I also suspect that would cause a continuous problem.
To clarify, I have started the engine while watching live data. The idle bumps up and then settles exactly in time with the inlet vanos angle suddenly jumping into life.
Usually the system recovers within a couple of seconds. There must be some type of timer in the DME as it only puts the check engine light on if the settling takes a little longer.
Home tomorrow, then it’s fresh oil and run it myself for a couple of weeks to see if I gain a better understanding.

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:35 am

Thanks wayo11 and enuff.
I’ve heard people in the past saying that sometimes a good blast and hard acceleration can sort out issues.
Not sure if they are having a laugh or not……
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:14 am

Bit far to go to Italy though 8)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo