Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Spa - Delivered!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by True-Blue » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:01 pm

The brittle lump of rubber and metal that was supposed to be the servo motor seal has long since relinquished its responsibilities!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

1536Z4

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:14 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:55 pm And that is as far as I got today.
How are you enjoying working on the N52 compared to what you are used to ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - YB07 VAE

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:21 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:14 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:55 pm And that is as far as I got today.
How are you enjoying working on the N52 compared to what you are used to ?
I am enjoying learning about it, but with so much practice on the M54 I still prefer that tbh.
The jobs I have done so far I am catching myself thinking how much easier the M54 equivalent is.
I'm sure I'll soon get used to it................... assuming I can fix this Vanos snag.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Project Spa - Or maybe not!

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 pm

Latest update is not an encouraging one I'm afraid.
Engine all rebuilt with the new eccentric cam sensor and all new seals and gaskets.
Fired it up. Still the same 2A82 Vanos Inlet code.
Fitted new Cam Position Sensors. No change. Then the very final thing was a new oil filter with new seals and a confirmation that the cage was secure. Sounds odd, but research shows that this can affect the oil feed to the vanos.
No such luck in this case.
I am completely out of ideas I'm sad to say.
Only thing left according to Google is a worn cam ledge bearing, letting oil bleed away from the vanos unit. To cure that can be a huge task. Not beyond my capabilities, but neither time nor budget will allow it.

So, to summarise what we have here:
Car starts on the button every time. Then it hunts a little before picking up to 2000rpm for about 1-2 seconds. It then drops back to a perfect idle and performs faultlessly.
Sometimes you get away with it, but on other starts it takes a second or two longer to stabilise, which is enough time for the Check Engine light to come on.
Personally, as a runabout, I can live with that, though it would take some strategic planning to get it through an MOT. However I cannot send Mark to Spa in a car that is doing this.

We do have other options: Mark could select another from my drive :roll: , but it would be nice to fix this one properly.

I am hoping someone has had this issue before and can suggest something I have overlooked?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 pm

Latest update is not an encouraging one I'm afraid.
Engine all rebuilt with the new eccentric cam sensor and all new seals and gaskets.
Fired it up. Still the same 2A82 Vanos Inlet code.
Fitted new Cam Position Sensors. No change. Then the very final thing was a new oil filter with new seals and a confirmation that the cage was secure. Sounds odd, but research shows that this can affect the oil feed to the vanos.
No such luck in this case.
I am completely out of ideas I'm sad to say.
Only thing left according to Google is a worn cam ledge bearing, letting oil bleed away from the vanos unit. To cure that can be a huge task. Not beyond my capabilities, but neither time nor budget will allow it.

So, to summarise what we have here:
Car starts on the button every time. Then it hunts a little before picking up to 2000rpm for about 1-2 seconds. It then drops back to a perfect idle and performs faultlessly.
Sometimes you get away with it, but on other starts it takes a second or two longer to stabilise, which is enough time for the Check Engine light to come on.
Personally, as a runabout, I can live with that, though it would take some strategic planning to get it through an MOT. However I cannot send Mark to Spa in a car that is doing this.

We do have other options: Mark could select another from my drive :roll: , but it would be nice to fix this one properly.

I am hoping someone has had this issue before and can suggest something I have overlooked?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:27 pm

Martin I’m just thinking out loud

Is this a similar DME issue we saw on your m54 engine, but on the n52?

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:36 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:27 pm Martin I’m just thinking out loud

Is this a similar DME issue we saw on your m54 engine, but on the n52?
I have no other codes than the Vanos Inlet one.
I would have expected at least a hint from the DME wouldn't you?
I guess it could be worth a try though, if I could locate the correct DME.

Wayo11

Post by Wayo11 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:20 pm

Thanks for the update and persistence, Martin. Fingers crossed the DME will be the answer as I don’t want to give up on taking this lovely looking 07 2.5si yet! 🤞 have a great holiday :D

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:22 pm

You could still drive it to Belgium. Just you may not get all the power in a certain Rev range with a lazy vanos.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:22 pm You could still drive it to Belgium. Just you may not get all the power in a certain Rev range with a lazy vanos.
I think he could tbh. I probably would, but then I’ve actually sat in one🤣
I’m just not sure I’d ever live with myself if something went wrong.
Plan is get back from my hols, prep my daily 2.2i as a substitute then run the project car and see what happens with it.
Still a random abs code to track down though.

Wayo11

Post by Wayo11 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:56 pm

That is good to know. And there would be no comeback on you at all Martin - I owe you too much!

What is involved with sorting the Cam ledge bearing, whatever that is? And is that the only possible cause if the DME fails to solve it? Ignoring my original budget for the sake of this question… many hours and pounds?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Wayo11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:56 pm That is good to know. And there would be no comeback on you at all Martin - I owe you too much!

What is involved with sorting the Cam ledge bearing, whatever that is? And is that the only possible cause if the DME fails to solve it? Ignoring my original budget for the sake of this question… many hours and pounds?
I would need to buy a complete new inlet cam mounting and all the timing and rigging tools. I think we are looking at another 50% of the car cost.
But the main issue is I have never done this before so it won’t be quick!
I am hoping from some N52 input from someone tbh

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:38 pm

Just for the sake of forum transparency the offer still stands to buy the car from you for your total outlay.
Plus potentially supply you a different one

Wayo11

Post by Wayo11 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 pm

Thanks Martin. Another £1k… is that the only thing it could be? I.e. it would definitely solve the issue?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:55 pm

Wayo11 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 pm Thanks Martin. Another £1k… is that the only thing it could be? I.e. it would definitely solve the issue?
I’ll be really honest, I am not sure at this point. Lot of money to throw at it.
Take an M54. So much easier