Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Amp upgrade suggestions for 676 stereo

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:58 pm

The match 7 adapter has a different part number to the match 8..

You need to sit in a darkened room and slowly work it out..

As an aside I had incipient heart failure today as I was fitting the match 10 to my 677 system..

There were two floating cables which need to go the rear centre speaker..both labelled with a +ve label..going into a completely different slot on the molex…sorted it out no will try n power up after lunch..

As an aside AF sound set up for E89 doesn’t include subs..go figure..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:40 pm

Ha, yeah, plug and play this isn't! I realised the Match 7/8 looms were different yesterday evening - initially I must have seen on a dealer site they were offered as the same, but the AF site makes it clear - the wire colours and number of connector blocks are different, for starters.

I've done some research, and it looks like there are 2 missing pins on the Match loom on the BMW side that don't exist, which feed into the woofers. Im not sure if all that needs to happen is to wire these in - either using the spare output from the amp, or making one of the sub connectors feed into this. I have ordered pins / parts from eBay to see if it works. I'm not even sure the spare channel is actually useable on the BMW variant, but it is on the standard Match8DSP.

In the third photo above its the 2 pins on the bottom left which power the woofers - which I <think> are 41 & 42, according to newTIS.

How this is then resolved in the DSP software will be a different story.

I guess I'll find out this weekend if it is this is simply rewiring, or the amp blows up... I'll keep the post updated once theres progress one way or another. Good luck with yours!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:58 pm

Mines came alive after a firmware update to the remote Director box..just need to install a new CIC unit as the original is dying..

Yet to run a system test which I can’t do till I put the new CIC unit in tomorrow
Attachments
IMG_8757.jpeg
IMG_8757.jpeg (165.04 KiB) Viewed 230 times
IMG_2532.jpeg
IMG_2532.jpeg (194.3 KiB) Viewed 230 times
IMG_2535.jpeg
IMG_2535.jpeg (155.37 KiB) Viewed 230 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:08 am

Wow, that’s quite the upgrade. Did you manage t get it sorted? - that does look like a lot of work though! Are you putting in a new iDrive unit, or an MMI with a screen?

I’ve decided to replace an older MMI box to the Mr12Volt one, for better audio quality - it came today, so another job on the list… it’s funny how this happens. Originally Looking for cheap / reasonable / easy amp options and now in the dirt with wiring looms and other upgrades to on top… it’d hurt if it wasn’t actually quite fun!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:40 am

Braveatom wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:08 am Wow, that’s quite the upgrade. Did you manage t get it sorted? - that does look like a lot of work though! Are you putting in a new iDrive unit, or an MMI with a screen?

I’ve decided to replace an older MMI box to the Mr12Volt one, for better audio quality - it came today, so another job on the list… it’s funny how this happens. Originally Looking for cheap / reasonable / easy amp options and now in the dirt with wiring looms and other upgrades to on top… it’d hurt if it wasn’t actually quite fun!
The old idrive is in place..the DSP/amp has a remote head that allows you to change the sound stage ..in my case different stages for roof up /roof down/roof down windows down..

I have a Mr12 Volt MMI box sitting on the MOST bus..

My main issue is the CIC unit is dying and causing great difficulties setting it up…I have a new CIC unit but it’s not been programmed for my car and I’m having K/D CAN data bus issues which prevents it from being remotely programmed…may have to send it off to have it bench programmed,,heh ho..

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:01 pm

That sounds painful no matter how you approach it. Unfortunately no updates here - it’s been non stop drizzle today and I don’t have a garage, so no progress my side, despite now having everything I need. I’m away for a couple of weeks so this is just gonna have to simmer away until I’m back. Quite annoying really.

I’ll update when I’m back, in the mean time interested to see how your improvements continue!

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:47 pm

Some good news! It's possible to wire up the missing channel in the Match8 - a bit of faff but got there. It involves connecting up the wires I mentioned in the photos above, and a bit of messing with the DSP software and it's now active. TBH, its a bit silly that they don't include it by default, the tricky part (for me at least) was making sure I had the right connectors on both the BMW and amp side and learning to crimp properly...

I have realised how bad the audio is through my MMI box - it's an older one and compared to the normal stereo is appalling. I have a MR12Volt sat here so thats the next step, then on to tuning...

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 pm

Braveatom wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:47 pm Some good news! It's possible to wire up the missing channel in the Match8 - a bit of faff but got there. It involves connecting up the wires I mentioned in the photos above, and a bit of messing with the DSP software and it's now active. TBH, its a bit silly that they don't include it by default, the tricky part (for me at least) was making sure I had the right connectors on both the BMW and amp side and learning to crimp properly...

I have realised how bad the audio is through my MMI box - it's an older one and compared to the normal stereo is appalling. I have a MR12Volt sat here so thats the next step, then on to tuning...
The core problem is that afaik all the harnesses are made for E90 type and the E89 is just that bit different..