Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing indicator stalk to a cruise control stalk

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 am

Just a quickie.
I'm in the process of retrofitting cruise control.
I took off the bog standard stalk, and got hold of a 3 series cruise control stalk.
I haven't yet coded it all in, that for next weekend (or when my protocols dongle arrives.

Now, this morning, first time I've gone to use the car, I e noticed that none of the controls on the steering wheel work. I plugged everything in, but am wondering why the steering wheel controls aren't working. Have I done something wrong, or is there something else I need to do?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:22 pm

The cruise control stalk is added along with the indicator stalk in a different place. You don't replace the indicator stalk with the cruise control one.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:42 pm

You will have to cut a little notch out of the shroud to accommodate the stalk
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:05 pm

Nooo I know you don't replace indicator stalk with cruise control ....I had a stalk assembly with Indicators and light stalks...replaced whole assembly with one with the extra stalk, being the cruise control... Steering wheel controls seem to have stopped working since the swap, but I'm wondering if it's because I've not coded in the cruise controls yet (next weekend d job) whether THAT has had an effect on the steering wheel buttons?

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:16 pm

Ah, it sounds like you have replaced the slip ring (clock spring). Did you plug the steering wheel controls back into the slip ring when you refitted the steering wheel? Could it have become disconnected again? Did you plug the connector from the car into the back of the slip ring? Again, check connection. If none of those, you may have a dodgy slip ring.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:25 pm

Hi,

I have just re-watched vid on YouTube...I think where I went wrong, is that I should have taken the old slip ring off the cruise control assembly, and put my own original one onto it...that's what the man says on his video...might have to swap that over and see if it makes a difference...I just used the whole cruise control stalk assembly as is 😬

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:30 pm

OK, lets sort this out for you.....

So you've swapped the stalk assembly over and now what exactly doesn't work?
Wipers
Indicator/high beam?
Buttons on the actual steering wheel?

So when I retrofit cruise after reconnecting the battery I check all functions of the new stalks to make sure they work. Now these stalks are used units and may have faults, hence the check. Now you can't check the cruise until it's coded, but you can check the other two.
If it is a faulty set of stalks, cut you losses now and contact the seller stating they are faulty and either get them replaced or refunded.
Now the other thing is to make sure that the plugs are both inserted fully on the rear of the stalk assembly.

Get back to us with your findings and we can go from there :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:31 pm

Steham wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:25 pm Hi,

I have just re-watched vid on YouTube...I think where I went wrong, is that I should have taken the old slip ring off the cruise control assembly, and put my own original one onto it...that's what the man says on his video...might have to swap that over and see if it makes a difference...I just used the whole cruise control stalk assembly as is 😬
The slip ring only affects the steering wheel buttons (Phone, Voice, Volume, Skip Track etc)
EDIT** Oh and the airbag
Dave

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm

It's all the buttons on the actual wheel that dont work...all stalks work...I think it's because I didn't swap the slip ring off the cruise control fitting and put my own slip ring originally fitted on my car onto it

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:36 pm

Steham wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm It's all the buttons on the actual wheel that dont work...all stalks work...I think it's because I didn't swap the slip ring off the cruise control fitting and put my own slip ring originally fitted on my car onto it
Ahh, I see, your title confused me :D

Yes I always recommend swapping the slip ring over as you know it's a good working one :thumbsup:
Dave

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:17 pm

Sorry for the confusion!!
I'll swap the slip ring over to my original car's one, and see if things are better

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:26 pm

Thanks for your suggestions guys, really appreciate it!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm

Steham wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:17 pm Sorry for the confusion!!
I'll swap the slip ring over to my original car's one, and see if things are better
No problem, always happy to help.
Give me a shout if you have any problems with the coding. The same with your iDrive retrofit, if you go ahead with it, as I've got tons of info on it :thumbsup:
Dave

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:05 pm

Smashing, thanks for that...I am gonna be getting the bits together for idrive retrofit too.

Steham

Post by Steham » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:20 pm

I got home, swapped the slip ring over, putting the original one back on the car, and now have fully working steering wheel buttons! I did look at the slip ring I HAD put on the car, and it appeared to be missing a white plastic pin/peg, so there was something not right with it.
Happy bunny...now to wait for bimmer geeks to deliver my Bluetooth OBD dongle, so I can use pro tool and get the cruise control coded in ...wish me luck!! 🤣🤣🤣