Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No fun being a car mod enthusiast in Hong Kong

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:40 pm

Not so bad here after all . A video about how seriously Hong Kong takes any modification to cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdSBpakvnI
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:52 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:40 pm Not so bad here after all . A video about how seriously Hong Kong takes any modification to cars
To be fair things are pretty relaxed here. :D

If I lived there I'd just leave my car standard!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:28 am

1536Z4 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:40 pm Not so bad here after all . A video about how seriously Hong Kong takes any modification to cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdSBpakvnI
Possibly political more than anything. Since we gave HK back to the Chinese, they have not had a good time of anything TBH. Communists have never been great lovers of freedoms of will, or expression, or anything IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:03 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:28 am Possibly political more than anything. Since we gave HK back to the Chinese, they have not had a good time of anything TBH. Communists have never been great lovers of freedoms of will, or expression, or anything IMO.
I think it's an Asian thing to be fair.

In April 2010 I boarded a flight in Melbourne to come home from a business trip but got "stranded" in Singapore because of a dust cloud from a volcano in Iceland closing all UK airports. Probably only got boarded because it was a Singapore Airlines flight and they'd rather put me up there than in Melbourne. I didn't mind as they put me in the 5 star Shangri-La with a remote that could open the curtains. :D

Sadly my employer also had an office in Singapore, and a colleague I used to sit next to in Windsor was running the department on an ex-pat deal. Chatting to him I discovered you needed a Certificate of Entitlement in Singapore to actually be allowed to buy a car there and a COE costs a minimum of S$104,000 now so about £60K!

Obviously our employer paid that as his OH needed a car to ferry their 3 children about but he just used the brilliant underground and taxis.

Japan doesn't seem to be keen on private car ownership either, so we get to buy JDMs.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:31 pm

Thanks for putting up the link - great video. Must try out that light wand technique for the monthly photo competition :D .
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

plenty

Post by plenty » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 pm

Not just an Asian thing. Driving a modified car will quickly get you into hot water in many EU countries.

Singapore has 2,500 people per mile of road compared with 250 in the UK and 50 in the US, hence they need to do something to control private vehicle ownership.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:14 pm

Roberltd2 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:31 pm Must try out that light wand technique for the monthly photo competition
:)
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 pm

plenty wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 pm they need to do something to control private vehicle ownership.
I can understand wanting to reduce car ownership in those circumstances but why modified cars or is it just that they are an easy win . I wonder if the cars that are impounded are just released with a fine or something worse ?

plenty

Post by plenty » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:18 am

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 pm
plenty wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 pm they need to do something to control private vehicle ownership.
I can understand wanting to reduce car ownership in those circumstances but why modified cars or is it just that they are an easy win . I wonder if the cars that are impounded are just released with a fine or something worse ?
The quoted post above was referring to Singapore.

Hong Kong for decades has had an active subculture of people meeting to drive fast on the roads at night, Fast & Furious style. It's not very popular with the general population and targeting conspicuously-modified cars is one way for the authorities to be seen to be taking action, regardless of whether or not their owners take part. This is not new, but no doubt the clampdown is intensifying as Hong Kong overall is becoming more of a police state every day.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:57 am

plenty wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:18 am The quoted post above was referring to Singapore.
:headbang: Oh yes . Note to self read more carefully :)