Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A slightly puzzling situation - self repairing Z4

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:55 pm

The sensors often go dicky with moisture / salt / lack of use etc etc..so not unusual to magically repair themselves…it’s seldom for ever..copper grease can cause issues to..best get it checked at your convenience…not on a rainy night by the breakdown servie..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:23 pm

Self repair, when bought my car, there was a nasty scratch just left of gear stick on the fake wood and lacquer trim.
Was there for years.
But now it's gone.
Not sure if solvent in furniture polish i use softened the lacquer and scratch healed up.
I always use Lidl beeswax polish all over car.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:41 pm

Divine intervention :o
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:10 am

MikeyH wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:41 pm Divine intervention :o
Yep, that could be it! God knows!? :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:09 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:10 am
MikeyH wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:41 pm Divine intervention :o
Yep, that could be it! God knows!? :)
:rofl:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Trav

Post by Trav » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:14 am

One other thing I have had on another car was a split reluctor ring causing a similar lot of faults. Sometimes the reluctor ring would catch and spin and clear the sensor fault. But others it would just sit stationary or part spin causing faults. They are not a very thick piece of metal and can get corroded.
Z4MR A.W.

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:00 pm

tell me about it, i am having some issues where the car will light up like a Christmas tree and go into limp mode, engine light remains on. However when i scan it there are only relatively minor issues showing and will drive perfectly. Happened twice now so reluctant to drive her at the moment.

viewtopic.php?t=145482

Mine looks like an electrical fault, could yours be similar, there are some similar symptoms?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:15 am

Part 1
Well, well, well ... had a similar situation on Thursday. Drove 70 miles to a Notts village. (Granddaughter foxhunting.) Parked on wet grass. On re-starting, rear wheels spun & rear end lurched. Car then drove normally for 2 miles. Parked on more wet grass. After 30 minutes, Blackpool Illuminations - ABS, e-brake, P position on gear lever, price of coffee in Munich et cetera - & wouldn't start.

Called AA. Rubbish. Really unhelpful. Called BMW Roadside Assistance. Excellent. Tech arrived within promised time. Car started immediately & drove normally. He then attached large laptop, which took several minutes to read it, but came to no major conclusions, so he suggested following me to my next destination, a couple of miles away. He then re-read the car, re-booted the gearbox and left, all the while being pleasant & positive about the situation.

I had some lunch and ... the car wouldn't start. So, I phoned him directly, he came back in 30 minutes, spent more time on the car, re-started it and ... at his insistence, followed me the 80 miles to my local BMW authorised dealer, where he checked in the car with Reception, told me that they were obliged to repair it within 48 hours (or I don't know what, but not just put it at the back of the queue). He then offered me a lift home.

(Just before switching the car off & leaving it, I ran its own display, which said, 'NO FAULTS'.)
Last edited by Busterboo on Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vidi, vici, veni

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Yeah, mine is baffling me. Got a feeling it may need to go to BMW. :headbang:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:33 am

Mystery Part 2
So, went back to the BMW authorised dealer to collect the car. "It was the battery, sir." It was 'non-standard' (or something like that - my ears stopped working at the mention of 'battery').
Acute embarrassment. I mean acute. (I'd been through all this for the childishly obvious reason of a battery?)
"We've replaced it, sir, given the car a 692-point health check, washed it & sent you a video. That'll be £335.95p."
So I drove home & had a cup of tea.
A bit later, decided to cheer myself up with a drive & ... yep, you've guessed it ... Blackpool Illuminations again et cetera & it wouldn't start.
"We're very sorry, sir. Please bring it back tomorrow & we'll work on it first thing."
(There was a fly in the ointment of this offer, of course.)
So, I phoned BMW Roadside Assistance & learnt another lesson: "Sorry, sir, you don't have 'Home Recovery'. We can collect it for you, sir, but that will be £175.' Quite a lot for about 8 miles, I thought.
Ever optimistic, I realised I could call the AA (who'd been crap last week, but very good from home years earlier).
Then a little voice said, 'Maybe ... just maybe, with a new battery, a bit of a drive and a snooze, the car's re-set itself & ... yep, you're right again, it had. Well, it drove, stopped & restarted 6 times, anyway.
Whether it will tomorrow, I have no idea, of course. But I do have the wife's Fiesta. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm

p.s.

Sytner BMW Leicester were helpful throughout their involvement and then phoned to see if all was well.
Vidi, vici, veni