Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hypothetical question…

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Humour me….

Last Tuesday I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrack from a dealer in Carmarthenshire, South Wales, 2021 plate with 25k miles on, one owner, serviced etc, etc, Drove it home Tuesday night all good. Wednesday morning I started it, it didn’t sound right tbh, bit rattly, I got 200 yards up the hill to work before it spat a con rod out of the block, went with a fair old bang, not surprisingly….im assuming it’s a rod, got underneath it, oil in the sump guard trays so it’s breached somewhere, and with the rattle and the noise it made I’m pretty sure the rod bolts have come loose and it’s thrown one.

So, it’s gone back to Wales, I’ve been refunded all the price less £100 which I’ll get when I return the V5. Im out a months tax, £87 insurance…£54 admin fees and two days insurance, robbing f**ks :roll: taxi money to get to Carmarthenshire from Derbyshire, half a tank of diesel. The dealers have been very apologetic, thanked me for not ranting at them, it’s hardly anyone’s fault is it, but I’m out of pocket a fair bit as described, so here’s the question….i still hold the V5 in my name, I’m going to suggest, not ask for, suggest a contribution to my costs, if they tell me to go and do one, what happens if I don’t send the V5..?

It’s totally hypothetical and if they don’t want to be nice about it then that’s up to them, it’s not the first time…. :roll: I’m just curious as to how much of a pain I could be in theory…. :lol:

Pic of its last stand….🙄
Attachments
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 472 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:32 pm

I don't know but don't think you would benefit at all by being 'difficult'. End of the day they have refunded you, so the car belongs to them again now.
If you don't surrender the V5 you will not get any tax back and the dealer could get the DVLA involved, potentially.

If you get all your purchase price back, then I would consider that as fair as you can hope for. Any other costs you have incurred are down to you, unfortunately. It isn't the dealers fault that the insurance and DVLA charge by the minute. If they do pay something towards your costs, I would look at that as a bonus TBH.

I am with you, though, I wouldn't like to be out of pocket at all in this situation.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:36 pm

I'm guessing it would be in your interest to notify the DVLA you've sold/returned the vehicle back to the seller so you'll get any vehicle tax refund and avoid any potential driving offences/fines that could come your way as its still according to the DVLA in your ownership. Isn't it also an offence for failing to notify if no longer in your ownership?

I'm always a little jittery with dealers when part exing a car as they will normally offer to sort out notifying the DVLA on your behalf for your part ex. Hyundai dealer did this recently for me when I part exchanged but as its easily done online now they did it there and then in my company so I knew it had been done.

Bad luck on the car and can see why not being happy being out of pocket.

Tim.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Yep true enough on the tax and dvla points Pondy.

Like I say it’s hypothetical, no one’s fault and they didn’t sell me knowing it was a lemon….i don’t think…😆

s**t happens…again…🙄
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:51 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 pm s**t happens…again…
Yep.....BUT better to happen now than 6 months down the line, when no-one would be interested! I can't believe I'm looking at the bright side. :o
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:58 pm

What’s puzzling is how it’s done 25k miles no issues, that I know of…and it’s gone bang so suddenly. Tbh it did sound a touch rattly at the dealers, I know as my transit custom is the same age and has the same engine, i put it down to probably been standing for a few months on site and needed a run.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Hypothetical question…

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Seems consequential loss (like insurance cancellation, 1/12 road tax and fuel you out in ) is not covered under anything. Seems unfair to me as that is not your fault.

However, goodwill is another matter.

As a business we do everything to recompense the customer in that case, even if it is not our fault but reputation is more important than the £100 it would cost.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:55 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:08 pm Seems consequential loss (like insurance cancellation, 1/12 road tax and fuel you out in ) is not covered under anything. Seems unfair to me as that is not your fault.

However, goodwill is another matter.

As a business we do everything to recompense the customer in that case, even if it is not our fault but reputation is more important than the £100 it would cost.
Things do go wrong but it’s how they are addressed that really matters in my opinion.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Holding on to the v5 would only inconvenience them a little, it wouldn't stop them reselling the car.
My work bought an ex scottish gas van last year without the v5. We had to apply to dvla for a new v5. The only hassle was that it couldn't be done online or over the phone. It had to be done by post after filling in the correct forms and sending a check for the new v5.
The reason all this had to be done was apparently some companies don't bother sending the v5s back once they have sold them.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hypothetical question…

Post by buzyg » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:25 pm

No sensible reason to hold on to the V5, whatever they say.

I had similar trouble with a Nissan Primera mk1 many moons ago. I got my original cheque back and a tank of fuel, in the one I replaced it with the next morning. I had the RAC chase me for the recovery cost. I never did pay the RAC and don't know if the garage did. Both the garage and the breakdown were within 20miles of home, so no other expensive for me. It was pure chance that I spotted the replacement from the bus on my way home and was able to buy it so quickly. As I was commuting back to Plymouth, from Portsmouth, the next day and that would have been a pain with no car.

Replace it and move on, life is to short. :wink:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:34 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:58 pm What’s puzzling is how it’s done 25k miles no issues, that I know of…and it’s gone bang so suddenly.
Being a high up truck and the amount of rain lately, could maybe have been through a big puddle, ingested a small amount of water which damaged the piston/conrod but not catastrophically until now? You would expect it to smash the turbo first, though! :?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

r2uzenblot

Hypothetical question…

Post by r2uzenblot » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:54 pm

It's a bad experience but at the end of the day the dealer swiftly refunded you the purchase price. Yes a bit unfortunate that you travelled a fair distance but getting the purchase price back no quibbles is something. Or did they already know something.........?
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:03 pm

I'm training on handovers at the minute, when we do the V5 the customers email ges inputted and they get confirmation here and then it's done.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Gee

Hypothetical question…

Post by Gee » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:42 pm

Ah the old contribution towards costs conundrum. That's interesting because when I took a deposit on a car and outlayed on a hotel and train, the "buyer" didn't want to know when they demanded their full deposit back. It's strange how the tables turn... :rofl:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Hypothetical question…

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Gee wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:42 pm Ah the old contribution towards costs conundrum. That's interesting because when I took a deposit on a car and outlayed on a hotel and train, the "buyer" didn't want to know when they demanded their full deposit back. It's strange how the tables turn... :rofl:
You really want to get into this again little boy…?

Did you book a train and hotel, answer that without lying… No you didn’t, hence you couldn’t show me receipts plus you changed your story from staying in a hotel to your cousin bringing you down instead.

If you want to lie and cheat at least have some, just some decency and tell the truth, not hide behind your keyboard and lie like a scared little rat boy. That kid of yours doesn’t stand a chance, he’ll be yet another cheat with no morals or principles with you as his dad.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29