Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not a Project but...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:39 pm

It's took about a year but its finally done...I'm now the proud owner of a 2005 Z4 3.0i! Pictures or it didn't happen I know but haven't had chance yet (will update in due course). So its a 3.0i, sapphire black, heated seats, business stereo (not sure if these are standard fitment or not?), wind deflector, aftermarket Bluetooth connectivity with music stream functionality, 106k miles so has some age related scars but nothing drastic or rust inducing. Engine runs sweet as a nut as far as I can see and roof works too. Oh it also has a drivers side cup holder :o :) .

Plans for it: drive it! I do need to fix the drivers door as to get in you have to press the door and pull the handle. Weird but hopefully it's a simple fix. If anyone has any ideas on what the issue might be, I'd be all ears :D .

What I am in need of is a car cover. It will eventually go in the garage but that needs sorting so for the time being, she'll have to a drive queen. Anybody have any good recommendations for a cover? I've never used one before so I haven't the foggiest of ideas which brands are good, bad or ugly.

Anyway, looking forward to getting miles in it with the roof down even in the cold weather. Cheers.

Note: now with photos below.

Edit: I'm going to use this thread to document what I've done to the car. I'm not going to call it a project thread as I don't plan on doing many changes to the car. Famous last words, in a years time I'll have the head off and some schrick cams in it running on ITBs :lol:
Last edited by Andrew J on Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Z4 E89 28i Sapphire Black - gone
Z4 E85 3.0i Sapphire Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Congrats.
I would suggest a half cover. It will stop water ingress but not damage the paint.
The door issue is most likely a stretched cable from the handle linkage to the lock assembly.
Fairly easy fix if you have small hands.
Still waiting on those photos 😁
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:22 pm

Hi and welcome to Z4 ownership. :thumbsup:

Expect to be encouraged to give your wallet a hammering!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm Congrats.
I would suggest a half cover. It will stop water ingress but not damage the paint.
The door issue is most likely a stretched cable from the handle linkage to the lock assembly.
Thanks. It's funny you shoukd mention a half cover as one came with the car. I just thought a full cover woukd protect the whole thing. Are full car covers known to damage the paintwork? Standing water the issue?
Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:22 pm Hi and welcome to Z4 ownership. :thumbsup:

Haha thanks. I've told myself I'll be sensible. Only time will tell!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:30 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm Thanks. It's funny you shoukd mention a half cover as one came with the car. I just thought a full cover woukd protect the whole thing. Are full car covers known to damage the paintwork? Standing water the issue?
I got a full Stormforce cover with my current Z4, but the instructions said it needed to be fitted when the car was clean and dry - unlikely circumstances for a car living outside! And if I took it off on a wet day the only place I could put it was in the living room, so I sold it!

I think the issue is that however well they fit in high winds they do move about a bit which over time will cause rubbing on the tops of wings, etc.

I think I'm doing this wrong - here I am recommending saving some money. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm

Nice one. Looking forward to the pictures. :wink:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:11 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm Congrats.
Thanks. It's funny you shoukd mention a half cover as one came with the car. I just thought a full cover woukd protect the whole thing. Are full car covers known to damage the paintwork? Standing water the issue?
Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:22 pm Hi and welcome to Z4 ownership. :thumbsup:

Haha thanks. I've told myself I'll be sensible. Only time will tell!
The paintwork will be fine with a layer of polish on it. The problem is water getting in through leaky door seals or building up around the roof motor due to blocked drains. A half cover prevents all that
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:26 pm

+1 for a half cover. Much easier to get on and off and stow in the boot, and the don’t abraid paint on the corners in the wind. Mine is a ukcustomcovers one, c.£70 on their website.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by paddy wright » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:32 am

Welcome along.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 am

It seems the concensus is to use a half cover. I'll just keep the one that came with the car. Haven't had chance to get any decent pictures yet. Weather has been rubbish. Next on the list is car insurance. I had a look around on the forum but didn't see/probably didn't dig deep enough to see many threads concerning insurance. Currently with one of thr major players just to tidy me over dor now but would like to get an agreed valuation policy set up. I used to own a classic mini and adrian flux were the company to use but this was 15 years ago so things might have changed. Anyone have any agreed valuation policies set up?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by pvr » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:45 am

I use Norton Insurance for agreed value for my Golf, but that is older. Premium just over £100 but you don't earn no claim bonus.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:54 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:45 am I use Norton Insurance for agreed value for my Golf, but that is older. Premium just over £100 but you don't earn no claim bonus.
Fantastic, thanks. I'll add them to the list.

Next question I have, is there different torque maps depending on what gear you are in? It seems to pick up better at 3k revs in 3rd than in 1st or 2nd. Just wondering whether this might be another DISA valve starting to fail or a vanos unit not sealing properly? These are two things I'd like to do in the near future for piece of mind along with a full service.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by Zedebee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:02 pm

Andrew J wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 am Next on the list is car insurance.
You should find the Z4 is pretty cheap to insure vs most other cars. If you are old enough for Saga, try them; mine is comfortably under £200 with just basic excess and protected NCD. I’m really not sure of the benefit of a “classic car” policy.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

pvr
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by pvr » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:10 pm

The only benefit is guaranteed value that I can think off.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:49 pm

Zedebee wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:02 pm
Andrew J wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 am Next on the list is car insurance.
You should find the Z4 is pretty cheap to insure vs most other cars. If you are old enough for Saga, try them; mine is comfortably under £200 with just basic excess and protected NCD. I’m really not sure of the benefit of a “classic car” policy.
It doesn't seem massively expensive so I'm fairly happy with the quote, especially given how much insurance has gone up in the last few months.

I am looking for a reliable vin decoder out there. I've tried bimmer work, mdecoder, bmwcat and a few others but all seem to fail when I put the vin into them. Anybody know of a reliable decoder at the minute?