Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Overheating issues

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
domsz4

Overheating issues

Post by domsz4 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:25 pm

Any ideas what might be causing an overheating issue? Thermostat and water pump have both been replaced. But it just runs up from cold straight to over heating.

No hot air is coming into the cabin and it looks like there is no hot water going into the radiator the top hose which connects to the expansion tank is hot but the bottom hose that connects the stat to the rad is cold
Proud Whip owner ;)

raymond.harper

Overheating issues

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:09 pm

Take the thermostat out test to see if it is stuck shut. There are plenty of failures of " quality" new parts at the moment. What engine do you have?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Overheating issues

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm

Which engine?
Funnily enough I have just spent this afternoon battling an N52 with the same issue after I replaced the dead electric pump and thermostat.
Turned out to be a massive airlock in the heater matrix.
Jacked it up as high as I could at the front and I think I counted another seven runs through the automated bleed procedure.
Finally sorted.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

domsz4

Overheating issues

Post by domsz4 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:21 pm

It’s the m54 3.0 engine…. taking the stat off (it’s all one unit) is an option as the only thing I can think of is it’s an airlock or some debris is blocking the system so draining and flushing the system is my next job
Proud Whip owner ;)

domsz4

Overheating issues

Post by domsz4 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:20 pm Which engine?
Funnily enough I have just spent this afternoon battling an N52 with the same issue after I replaced the dead electric pump and thermostat.
Turned out to be a massive airlock in the heater matrix.
Jacked it up as high as I could at the front and I think I counted another seven runs through the automated bleed procedure.
Finally sorted.
Kinda where I’m at
Proud Whip owner ;)

Trav

Overheating issues

Post by Trav » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:34 pm

If you can try to measure it in you will have an airlock if you don't get the full 8.3 litres of fluid in the system.
Z4MR A.W.

domsz4

Overheating issues

Post by domsz4 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:34 pm

Full drain drain down, back flushed the block, heater matrix, and radiator as best I can and then refilled seemed to have done the trick.
Proud Whip owner ;)