Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WANTED E86 MC weekend track car

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Hysteric

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Hysteric » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 pm

Hi all, as above I am in the market for a Z4MC for weekend fun with half a dozen track days a year.

It still needs to be able to do 3 hour motorway drives so cannot be too stripped out. OEM + mods welcomed.

Not fussed about mileage more on service history and appropriate preventative maintenance.

Cheers.

Simon 3.2M

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Simon 3.2M » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:19 am

Where are you located.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

Hysteric

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Hysteric » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:34 am

Hi Simon, I am in Woking, Surrey.

I don't mind travelling for the right car.

Ed Doe

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:37 pm

Excellent choice, good luck with your search!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Hysteric

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Hysteric » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 pm

Thanks Ed,

Seems like the z4 is a popular choice for track cars - are they a bit of a handful though? possibly a steep learning curve hopefully not ending up on the barriers!

Ed Doe

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:43 pm

Hysteric wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 pm Thanks Ed,

Seems like the z4 is a popular choice for track cars - are they a bit of a handful though? possibly a steep learning curve hopefully not ending up on the barriers!
Strangely I'd have said the opposite - they don't seem to be overly popular as track cars, certainly compared to E46/E92 M3s. It's quite rare in my experience to see any Z4MCs on a trackday.

I think it's in part due to the numbers made compared to M3s, but It may also be a little to do with the handling which is quite a bit spikier than the equivalent E46 M3..

Not to say they're awful - they're a riot on track, and can be very quick, but the fast steering rack, seating position (right out over the back wheels), and very stiff chassis (the Z4 Coupe has over twice the torsional rigidity of an E46 M3 Coupe!) means they can be quite snappy at the limit. Familiarity breeds confidence though, and I've always rather enjoyed the challenge! :)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:31 pm

The standard suspension is the first thing to replace IMHO.

It's too harsh for road use, and not adjustable/controlled enough for track use. On the track it's either load it up gradually or wobble, wobble, SNAP :P

I think the most Z4Ms, I've spotted are at Croft on the BMWCC track days...but e46/e36 M3s are much more common and parts are much more available/value for money.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Hysteric

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Hysteric » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:22 pm

Interesting - I had an e46 previously and whilst very capable I found it a little boring. Perhaps I am sucker for punishment and you just cannot beat the looks of the MC in my opinion. Need something a little more fun in my life.

I assume there are a lot of people in this forum who track their z4 - i will be lurking on this forum to understand the best bang for buck mods wise.

Is the Z4 a bad choice for the track?

Suspension - check!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm

Hysteric wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:22 pmIs the Z4 a bad choice for the track?

Suspension - check!
Well, I'd say it's a much better (and significantly cheaper) proposition than either of my e34 M5s - but they did about 100 track days & Ring trips between them :P

Although I do miss being able to carry a spare set of wheels on trips :x
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by tomscott » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:47 pm

Non Ms seem more popular because of cost and the limited numbers of Ms.

brillomaster

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by brillomaster » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:39 pm

i did a dozen trackdays in my E85 Z4 3.0i, that was great, only cost me £3k to buy. only mods i did was tyres and brake pads.

unless you're dead set on an MC i'd save £10k or more and just get an E86 coupe. 260bhp still plenty enough to get you into trouble, and spend the savings on decent tyres, brakes, suspension and then lots of trackdays!

alane29

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by alane29 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:21 pm

Hysteric wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 pm Hi all, as above I am in the market for a Z4MC for weekend fun with half a dozen track days a year.

It still needs to be able to do 3 hour motorway drives so cannot be too stripped out. OEM + mods welcomed.

Not fussed about mileage more on service history and appropriate preventative maintenance.

Cheers.
Hello Mate , i sent you a DM thinking of letting my M coupe go
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Zedebee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:35 pm

The non-M engine is super strong and low maintenance, which probably explains why it’s more popular on the track. I’ve never had a M, but I’m guessing that it goes out of tune over time, and time on track means more re-shimming is required.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Hysteric

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by Hysteric » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:56 pm

Thanks both - sound advice. Im aiming for perhaps 6 or so track days / year and then probably 10k highway mileage so not a dedicated track car.

Looking at pricing of the 3.0 and M now …. However if I get the M I’d have to get the carbon air box dammit! :D

AndyBeech

E86 MC weekend track car

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:01 pm

Sounds a bit like mine, enjoyable on the road but can handle a number of track days a year. I do about 6 a year though a bit less the last year. If financially your happy, go for the M every time. I never tracked my 3.0Si and although I enjoyed it on the road, I got bored fairly quickly and sold it after a year and the M was the only other option to try. 8 years later and I still enjoy a good blast on the roads in it and I can happily book a track day and know it's pretty capable, although not the quickest out there compared to modern machinery, as you'd probably expect.

A lot of the issues with the M are overblown TBH, once you've got the main bits sorted and you go in with your eyes open, it's no less reliable than other cars in that performance bracket. I've done about 15 track days in it since I put on some suitable mods and did some preventative / refreshing bits and it's never let me down as yet. I would certainly think about suspension / brakes upgrades personally, but apart from that it's pretty much good to go, other stuff you can do as and when you feel.

Go for it and enjoy, it's a great car on and off the track :thumbsup:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!