Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Revisiting Cassettes Tapes

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:46 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:55 pm
BeeEmm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 pm
True-Blue wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:12 pm Why?…..

This is going to sound way worse than any decent modern phone with earbuds or headphones… some things are best left in the past :cry:
I agree with this. I always want to listen to music the way the artist intended when recording. Todays available high end speakers, headphones and high quality streaming services get very close to that. If I want to feel something tactile while listening to music, I turn my champagne glass round and round in my hand. :D
No good though if you're listening era is the 60s, good to listen to the music how it was recorded at the time :wink:

Tim.
Except there was no one playing the lead ‘hiss’ or the double ‘crackle’ was there? :rofl:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:51 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:46 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:55 pm
BeeEmm wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 pm I agree with this. I always want to listen to music the way the artist intended when recording. Todays available high end speakers, headphones and high quality streaming services get very close to that. If I want to feel something tactile while listening to music, I turn my champagne glass round and round in my hand. :D
No good though if you're listening era is the 60s, good to listen to the music how it was recorded at the time :wink:

Tim.
Except there was no one playing the lead ‘hiss’ or the double ‘crackle’ was there? :rofl:
:lol: it was there it just gets filtered out in the digital process :?

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:29 pm

I've still got some unused TDK cassettes that I don't know what to do with!

Still in the cellophane, six C60 and five C74 (you could usually get an album on each side). Let me know if they'd be any use to you.

Pretty sure I've still got a Walkman somewhere too. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:29 pm I've still got some unused TDK cassettes that I don't know what to do with!

Still in the cellophane, six C60 and five C74 (you could usually get an album on each side). Let me know if they'd be any use to you.

Pretty sure I've still got a Walkman somewhere too. :roll:
Many thanks thats really kind of you, if I can get my CD player working again so I can record will let you know :thumbsup: If you still have your Walkman, depending on which model it is it could be worth a bob or two. Have a look on ebay.

This seller on ebay has loads of them at pretty prices :cry:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item= ... =farish_98

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm Many thanks thats really kind of you, if I can get my CD player working again so I can record will let you know If you still have your Walkman, depending on which model it is it could be worth a bob or two. Have a look on ebay.

This seller on ebay has loads of them at pretty prices

Tim.
My Walkman is nothing fancy, but it looks like it might have some value. :thumbsup:

I've got a cheap "Discman" type thing somewhere too so you could probably record from that via the headphone socket.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:04 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:59 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm Many thanks thats really kind of you, if I can get my CD player working again so I can record will let you know If you still have your Walkman, depending on which model it is it could be worth a bob or two. Have a look on ebay.

This seller on ebay has loads of them at pretty prices

Tim.
My Walkman is nothing fancy, but it looks like it might have some value. :thumbsup:

I've got a cheap "Discman" type thing somewhere too so you could probably record from that via the headphone socket.
Hopefully I can get my CD payer up an running again, all part of the fun :)

At least my radio from 1969 is still going strong :)

Nice and compact so I can take it on holiday :lol:

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:17 pm

Ah Grundig!
Our first colour TV was Grundig. As soon as I saw the name I can smell the plasticky/ transistory smell of the very basic remote control.
Happy days! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm I wonder if you can get a digital processor that you can feed in a decent digital signal in from and then make it sound like your listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night? :tumbleweed: :rofl:
Sign me up for Radio Luxembourg on a dark night any time. 8) :thumbsup:

As for Cassette tapes. They where pish when they came out and stayed pish to this day. :wink:
Last edited by buzyg on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:17 pm Ah Grundig!
Our first colour TV was Grundig. As soon as I saw the name I can smell the plasticky/ transistory smell of the very basic remote control.
Happy days! :)
It smells like that inside :D The telescopic aerial extends to around 20 feet, I'm sure in 1969 it would have picked up the moon landings :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:25 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm I wonder if you can get a digital processor that you can feed in a decent digital signal in from and then make it sound like your listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night? :tumbleweed: :rofl:
If you can sign me up for one. 8) :thumbsup:

As for Cassette tapes. They where pish when they came out and stayed pish to this day. :wink:
Thats why they sound so good so once you've had a bottle or two it makes no difference :lol:

Tim.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:26 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:34 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night?
Is that when it used to fade in and out ?? My Dad told me it was due to the waves and for ages I thought he meant the waves as it came over the sea :rofl:
Correct ..the signal could only get to most folks in the UK by bouncing off one of the many charged layers in the earths ionosphere…usually the D layer but sometimes the F layer.

As these are not stable, affected by many factors the signals would fade in and out,.

FWIW
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:27 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 pm
Sign me up for Radio Luxembourg on a dark night any time. 8) :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:29 pm

Well I'm with you Tim....nostalgia is the name of this game.

I started looking at National Panasonic 'music centres' on eBay a while ago, as we had one in the living room when I was a kid. That also had a very memorable 'smell' (of burning dust, plastic and basic PCBs).
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:32 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:26 pm Correct ..the signal could only get to most folks in the UK by bouncing off one of the many charged layers in the earths ionosphere…usually the D layer but sometimes the F layer.
I always thought is was the F..ing C layer. :?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:48 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:29 pm Well I'm with you Tim....nostalgia is the name of this game.

I started looking at National Panasonic 'music centres' on eBay a while ago, as we had one in the living room when I was a kid. That also had a very memorable 'smell' (of burning dust, plastic and basic PCBs).
Always like the old as well as the new, when I bought a new guitar amplifier a few years back in had to be a valve amp purely as the tone is better when cranked up and the valves are cooking. I also have a valve ipod player so old and new together. Thats why people still prefer vinyl to digital for a warmer sound, tapes the same although you can do alsorts with that, yes it can all be digitally synthesised now to mimic certain sound types from back in the day but its still not the same, plus I like things with lots of buttons :lol:

Tim.