Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spacers with standard suspension

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
robertg1939

Post by robertg1939 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:54 pm

Hi all, I’m in a bit of a quandary. I’m looking at replacing my e85 shocks with bilstein b4’s. While im steadily repairing the knackered bits on the z4 I’m looking to keep it fairly OEM as I’m a bit old to be classed as a boy racer. However, looking at how good the stance is improved with 10/15mm spacers its made me think it might be worth a look. Most people seem to install the eibach pro kit (30mm) in tandem with this but I wondered if anyone had installed spacers without the lowering kit?? Not totally against lowering but just wondered if it’s an all or nothing sort of thing? Any pics would be awesome 🙏🙏

Meds

Post by Meds » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:13 pm

I had a bad experience with Eibach Pro lowering performed by the previous owner.
It was too low, it was not uncomfortable (paired with Koni Sport Yellow dampers). Just, too low.
Speed bumps were a PITA, it would catch a curb on the front if you parked frontway in (my wife tried one and heard the scrape).
Also a horrible single track road I use to the next village is really lumpy and if I didnt exactly line the car up, it would catch on the underside. (this is rare use case, I agree)

It went back to OEM springs on the front and problems solved. (I still run Eibach on the rear :o )
Maybe, I had saggy springs as other folk say they have no issues. Some do, some dont.

Spacers will work perfecty and help with the very tucked in wheel offset they have from stock.
Most go for 12mm and 15mm.
E86 3.0si - Koni, Eibach, Eisenmann. viewtopic.php?t=143973
F31 340i MPPSK - Carrying family, bikes, kayaks and everything else.

robertg1939

Post by robertg1939 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:27 pm

Thanks Meds, i think you've helped my make my mind up. The same as you I have a horrific curb getting out of the carpark at work which would probably rip the front bumper off if it ends up as low as your saying.

So do you run spacers with the OEM front springs? Also, just out of interest,which springs di you go for on the front....Sachs?

Yeah was thinking 12mm front and 15mm rear, seems to be the consensus.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:49 pm

Spacers are able to be used without any real effect on the springs and dampers unless you go extravagantly wide with them.
You can in fact put 20mm on the rears with the standard set up.
Consider the change in geometry at the front end though. Some people (I'm one) don't like to space the front as it can have a detrimental effect on handling. Others do it and say there is no issue.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Meds

Post by Meds » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:47 pm

robertg1939 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:27 pm Thanks Meds, i think you've helped my make my mind up. The same as you I have a horrific curb getting out of the carpark at work which would probably rip the front bumper off if it ends up as low as your saying.

So do you run spacers with the OEM front springs? Also, just out of interest,which springs di you go for on the front....Sachs?

Yeah was thinking 12mm front and 15mm rear, seems to be the consensus.
I used Suplex springs.
I need to run spacers as my wheel setup is non standard and uses a 7.5" front with a very conservative offset.
E86 3.0si - Koni, Eibach, Eisenmann. viewtopic.php?t=143973
F31 340i MPPSK - Carrying family, bikes, kayaks and everything else.

Abbas

Post by Abbas » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:57 pm

Are you asking this in terms of how the car looks aesthetically with spacers and if it's worth fitting lowering springs for a better aesthetic, albeit at the compromise of ride quality? I'm in a similar boat myself.

I have 15mm spacers but only on the front. I have stock springs. I haven't got any decent photos yet! But I can take some. The stance is so much better though, as with with my Z4M wheels the front wheels sat inside the arch a tad too much while the rear wheels sat perfectly. I do have some Eibach Lowering Springs but I haven't fitted yet. It should drop it about 15mm front and rear? I think will look a lot better as the arch gap for me is slightly too big for my liking. However, as it's my daily driver I don't want to suddenly start worrying about bumps etc. So I'm abit undecided on if I lower it too. However I have no regrets about fitting the spacers. Much better.

I may just hold out on fitting some adjustable coilovers at some point so I can play around with the height till I'm happy with it.
BMW 3.0si Coupe
IG: @abbas2kk

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:50 pm

How strange, I’ve never thought there was a problem with the front end offset, and when I’ve tried spacers I’ve had rubbing. The rears definitely need a spacer though, I find 15mm about right for a standard wheel. I have stock M-sport suspension.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Abbas

Post by Abbas » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:48 pm

Zedebee wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:50 pm How strange, I’ve never thought there was a problem with the front end offset, and when I’ve tried spacers I’ve had rubbing. The rears definitely need a spacer though, I find 15mm about right for a standard wheel. I have stock M-sport suspension.
Could depend on the wheels and offset though! What wheels do you have on yours?
BMW 3.0si Coupe

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:30 am

Abbas wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:48 pm
Zedebee wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:50 pm How strange, I’ve never thought there was a problem with the front end offset, and when I’ve tried spacers I’ve had rubbing. The rears definitely need a spacer though, I find 15mm about right for a standard wheel. I have stock M-sport suspension.
With either 103s 8x17 square et47 or 108s 8x18 et47 and 8.5x18 et50, I use 15mm spacers on the back only. However I’ve currently got the car sitting on Alpina 8x18 square et34 without spacers and they look fine.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Abbas

Post by Abbas » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:30 am
Abbas wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:48 pm
With either 103s 8x17 square et47 or 108s 8x18 et47 and 8.5x18 et50, I use 15mm spacers on the back only. However I’ve currently got the car sitting on Alpina 8x18 square et34 without spacers and they look fine.
I believe mine are:

18x8 ET42
18x9 ET30

So a fair bit of difference between the front and back, I think it's a common thing for people to put spacers on the front with Z4M wheels as the front sits in a little too much. The et30 rear wheels sit totally in line with the wheel arches, could probably even sit inside a tad more so et34 sounds like it would sit well :thumbsup:

If I end up getting some new wheels I'll definitely get an offset in the low 30's for front and back to avoid spacers
BMW 3.0si Coupe

robertg1939

Post by robertg1939 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:27 pm

Its aesthetics more than anything else really. I like the look of a zed thats been lowered but just not sure i'd be happy with the reduction in ride quality (its not all about looks at the end of the day ;-) I'm the same as you, don't want to lower it and have to plan my routes to avoid speed bumps/crappy roads... But, on the other hand i think the stance could definitely be improved front and rear.

I am leaning towards the stock Suplex springs and 12mm front/15mm rear spacers and just seeing what it looks like. Any pictures you could put on of the 15mm spacers and stock springs would be really helpful though.

Abbas

Post by Abbas » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:11 pm

I only have these ones at an angle really, I need to take some proper photos. They fill the arches nicely, however, I'm in agreement, the arch gap could be a little smaller just to look more aggressive and planted. Looks like it's an off roader sometimes, particularly at the back, front isn't too bad. I have a splitter on the front which is probably 15mm in depth and I don't scrape it on anything, so tbf if you don't have a splitter and lower it the same you'll probably be just fine. I might be tempting fate abit with lowering + splitter however can cross that bridge when we get there :lol:

I'd recommend to check out Joel's IG. He's a member on here too somewhere. He's got same wheels as me but lowered, and I think it looks perfect and is what I'm aiming for eventually >> https://www.instagram.com/p/CxdhRr-q0o2/?img_index=1

I also think riding 18's rather than 19's would mitigate some of the harsher ride too. I'm planning on keeping mine as 18's.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 17.09.50.png
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 17.09.50.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 419 times
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 17.09.45.png
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 17.09.45.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 419 times
BMW 3.0si Coupe

robertg1939

Post by robertg1939 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:04 pm

Thanks for these mate, they're really helpful. Those wheels look awesome btw. I upgraded my piddly 16's to 18" MV2's but was looking for something like your's as they're easier to clean - couldn't find anything in my price range though.

Totally agree, the front is fine but the rear arch gap is a bit too big. Just checked mine and i have roughly 60mm rear and 40mm front. May try to find 20mm lowering springs for the rear, replace the front springs with suplex stock and add the spacers. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know...

I'm in the process of replacing all 4 shocks and springs hence all the questions - just want to make sure i'm getting the right and all your responses have been great, thanks. I'm new to the forum and wasn't expecting such comprehensive and quick responses so thank you all.

Just a note on changing to 19's, i reckon you're right staying on 18's. The guy i bought my MV2's from had upgraded to 19's hence the reason he was selling. The car looked awesome but he said the ride was super harsh on m sport springs, so much so thathis mrs would only be a passenger if she could sit on a cushion...

Abbas

Post by Abbas » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:24 pm

robertg1939 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:04 pm Thanks for these mate, they're really helpful. Those wheels look awesome btw. I upgraded my piddly 16's to 18" MV2's but was looking for something like your's as they're easier to clean - couldn't find anything in my price range though.

Totally agree, the front is fine but the rear arch gap is a bit too big. Just checked mine and i have roughly 60mm rear and 40mm front. May try to find 20mm lowering springs for the rear, replace the front springs with suplex stock and add the spacers. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know...

I'm in the process of replacing all 4 shocks and springs hence all the questions - just want to make sure i'm getting the right and all your responses have been great, thanks. I'm new to the forum and wasn't expecting such comprehensive and quick responses so thank you all.

Just a note on changing to 19's, i reckon you're right staying on 18's. The guy i bought my MV2's from had upgraded to 19's hence the reason he was selling. The car looked awesome but he said the ride was super harsh on m sport springs, so much so thathis mrs would only be a passenger if she could sit on a cushion...
That's a decent arch gap! I think it also depends on if you have sports suspension or not. 've got some Eibach lowering springs. I think between them and H&R, Eibach isn't as firm so I went with with those. I think I'm going to just go for it, seen as they're just lying around and doing nothing at the moment. It says around 30mm drop but that's with a stock suspension and I'm on a sports one, so in reality it should be about a 15mm drop apparently. A few on this forum have them fitted which is why I went for it. I'll eventually fit coilovers later if I like the ride height. I'll let you know how I get on if you like! Fitting next week.
BMW 3.0si Coupe

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:08 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:49 pm Spacers are able to be used without any real effect on the springs and dampers unless you go extravagantly wide with them.
You can in fact put 20mm on the rears with the standard set up.
Consider the change in geometry at the front end though. Some people (I'm one) don't like to space the front as it can have a detrimental effect on handling. Others do it and say there is no issue.
Agree completely. When I bought my current zed it was fitted with 20mm on the rear, and 10 or 12mm on the front (I think). The rear wheels looked great (and still do); the fronts looked fine, but the steering was awful. Simply moved those to the rear of my son's zed and we're both happy now!
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.