Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Member Intro - kevink

First port of call for new members
kevink

Post by kevink » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:37 am

My name is Kevin and I have a 2012 Z4 sDrive35i
2012 White Z4 35i.jpg
2012 White Z4 35i.jpg (339.13 KiB) Viewed 307 times
I am the original owner.

I need help finding a size 8 e-torx replacement bolt that goes on the engine and some parts diagrams for the Z4 and e52. Details of my current situation below...

Started doing some of my own maintenance and repair when I smelled burning oil in the cabin of the car coming from the air vents when set to vent to/from the outside, not while set on recirculate. I did find find evidence of a slow engine oil leak on the exhaust headers. Assumed it was the valve cover gasket as the last time I took it to the local shop, the manager told me I would probably need a new valve cover gasket soon. Given the history of these engines according to information on this forum I decided to replace it myself.

I was able to successfully replace the valve cover gasket last week and to my dismay, the leak did not stop. The gasket was original and was no longer flexible so it needed to be replaced anyway.

Upon further close inspection, it turns out 1 of the 4 e-torx bolts used to hold a polished aluminum bracket that attaches to the engine below the valve cover but above the exhaust manifold was missing. To my surprise the tapped hole for the bolt was open into the valve area and was allowing a small amount of engine oil to come out and drip onto the exhaust manifold. One drop every 10 or so minutes. I removed one of the other e-torx bolts from the bracket, it did not have an opening into the valve area and so I put it in the bracket where the missing bolt was and the leak stopped. Problem solved. No more burning oil smell in the cabin. Also, there was a smell of exhaust in the cabin that also stopped when the bolt was replaced.

Now, I need help finding the replacement size 8 e-torx bolt so I have all 4 bolts to hold the bracket onto the engine. The bracket seems to support some kind of electronic devices that have what looks like vacuum hoses attached.

Can someone help me find a good set of parts diagrams for this car and engine please?

Thank You,
Kevin
Last edited by kevink on Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:36 am

Realoem.com is your friend;

https://www.realoem.com/

You need the last 7 digits from your VIN and you’re good to go.

You can order single bolts from BMW Cheltenham, if you tell them you’re on the forum you’ll get a discount but I can’t see a single bolt breaking the bank anyway. The site above will give you the part number.

If you need any further help, post 2 more times and send me a PM with the last 7 digits of your VIN and I’ll look it up and send you a screen shot of the diagram/part number :thumbsup:

Happy new year and welcome to the forum.
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:56 am

Welcome along- pics are always welcome on here if your z!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

kevink

Post by kevink » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:07 pm

I really appreciate the replies. Very helpful and encouraging... I will take a couple photos and add them to the original post. Maybe they will help other members someday.

Thanks Again,
Kevin

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Kevin. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:09 pm

Welcome aboard Kevin. :D

kevink

Post by kevink » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:13 pm

3 pictures to help show where the missing vacuum system bracket bolt caused burning oil smell and exhaust smell in the cabin.
In the last picture, you can see that I removed the 3rd bolt (starting at the back of the engine) and put it in the location of the 4th bolt location (where the bolt was missing and oil was coming out).
Engine View 1.jpg
Engine View 1.jpg (141.29 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Vacuum System Bracket.jpg
Vacuum System Bracket.jpg (115.26 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Vacuum System Bracket Bolt Underneath.jpg
Vacuum System Bracket Bolt Underneath.jpg (123.15 KiB) Viewed 301 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:52 pm

Odd thing to be missing..and a leak too..wonder how it came to be missing?

You could use off the shelf bolts from a bolt supplier if you have the dims of the oe bolt…

Looks like a lovely Zed….

North American based I assume ?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:36 am

Welcome Kevin, very nice looking Z4 :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

xmillionn

Post by xmillionn » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:21 pm

More relaxed here than other chat forums. Welcome . Nice Z4

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:29 pm

Welcome aboard Kevin :thumbsup:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red