Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Private pension. I don't understand!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:10 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm I don't do financial speak and have less idea how it all works. I just want to (when I'm ready) transfer all pensions into a single, simple draw-down product which will be as safe as can be.
To login to each one and look at how the money is invested, then examine what's happening in the world and financial markets in the broadest sense to see why the investments are moving isn't as hard as you might think. If it were me, I'd want to know what the exposure was and gain a rough idea of the reasons behind movements. I've chosen to manage my own self invested personal pension (SIPP) though, so I'm atypical. I can understand why you're put off as financial markets in general are an enormous and varied space.

Think about getting some financial advice. You could start here if you're eligible: https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensi ... nsion-wise (it's free, but I don't know how much they can offer). A few forum members have PM'd me details of financial advisors in the past (I haven't followed up and my needs are different) so I'm sure people can provide recommendations.

Apologies if the above ground has been covered - it's a five page thread and I dipped in and out.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:27 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:10 pm Think about getting some financial advice. You could start here if you're eligible: https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensi ... nsion-wise (it's free, but I don't know how much they can offer).
Thanks. I will speak to them once I have options from my current pension providers. I have spoken to "my" IFA, but he just sees pound notes coming his way IMO and has tried to 'blind me with science'. I am not paying anybody a percentage just to advise on a product, that's ridiculous.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:27 pm I have spoken to "my" IFA, but he just sees pound notes coming his way IMO and has tried to 'blind me with science'. I am not paying anybody a percentage just to advise on a product, that's ridiculous.
I'm opposed to that as well. I was looking for someone to charge a flat fee to discuss investment strategies with. I didn't look very hard but I kept running into the percentage charging structure.

This article on Which? covers a lot regarding financial advice, where to get it, what it costs, and where you can get it free or more cheaply: https://www.which.co.uk/money/investing ... Da70J6nYs7
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 pm

Thanks Mike, greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 am

Best wishes N4LLY, keep the faith and hang in there :thumbsup:

Re Pensions mine is a Local Government pension so feel lucky I could get out of the 9 to 5 dreary world at 58.

I think with any pension you soon find out the tax man is your mortal enemy. If you have any kind of private pension think carefully if your deciding to cash it in as a lump sum and the tax implications. I had an additional small private pension that I stopped paying into years ago and it just sat there maturing and decided to cash it in all in one go as it wasn't a massive amount and thought hell I deserved it. I was still stung to the tune of 7 grand tax I think it was so still pretty galling.

Even my Local Government pension tax free lump sum as it was paid to me 2 months late it accrued a couple of hundred quid interest which the HMRC have advised me I will need to declare after next April. So interest on a tax free lump sum may possibly be taxed :headbang: depending how much total interest I've accrued on savings. Simply put there out to get you no matter how hard you've worked :cry:

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am

TitanTim wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 am Re Pensions mine is a Local Government pension so feel lucky I could get out of the 9 to 5 dreary world at 58.

I think with any pension you soon find out the tax man is your mortal enemy. If you have any kind of private pension think carefully if your deciding to cash it in as a lump sum and the tax implications. I had an additional small private pension that I stopped paying into years ago and it just sat there maturing and decided to cash it in all in one go as it wasn't a massive amount and thought hell I deserved it. I was still stung to the tune of 7 grand tax I think it was so still pretty galling.

Even my Local Government pension tax free lump sum as it was paid to me 2 months late it accrued a couple of hundred quid interest which the HMRC have advised me I will need to declare after next April. So interest on a tax free lump sum may possibly be taxed depending how much total interest I've accrued on savings. Simply put there out to get you no matter how hard you've worked
No offence Tim, but you public sector workers and your (mostly) final salary pensions are living in a different world to rest of us.

There is no comparison of a public sector pension scheme and a private one. They are chalk and cheese. Council pensions are managed 'in house' by dedicated teams of Council employees.

Only the very very wealthy private sector workers could afford to retire in their fifties. As said, no offence meant, but you have no idea about the 'real world' when it comes to pensions.

Public sector pensions are funded by the taxpayer, the rest of us have to fund ourselves (and rely on global markets).

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:04 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am No offence Tim, but you public sector workers and your (mostly) final salary pensions are living in a different world to rest of us.

There is no comparison of a public sector pension scheme and a private one. They are chalk and cheese. Council pensions are managed 'in house' by dedicated teams of Council employees.

Only the very very wealthy private sector workers could afford to retire in their fifties. As said, no offence meant, but you have no idea about the 'real world' when it comes to pensions.

Public sector pensions are funded by the taxpayer, the rest of us have to fund ourselves (and rely on global markets).
No offence Andrew but I worked in the private sector all of my career and all of my pensions are final salary schemes - but financial services (insurance in my case) schemes tended to make up for lower salaries with better (and often non-contributory) pensions.

I stopped working at 56 because I took my workplace pensions early but was never very very wealthy - I just live within my limited means!

A self-employed mate of mine bought a 2nd house for his pension fund which has probably worked out better than relying on global markets.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:38 am

If you can draw down enough tax free lump sum to buy a property, then there is still a good market out there. Overall you won't see any more income than putting money into an inuity type product and of course you have to manage property. The benefit is, you still have the option to sell up or leave money to others. The system is designed so that we can't leave too much for our kids though, so be mindful of that.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:13 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am
TitanTim wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 am Re Pensions mine is a Local Government pension so feel lucky I could get out of the 9 to 5 dreary world at 58.

Even my Local Government pension tax free lump sum as it was paid to me 2 months late it accrued a couple of hundred quid interest which the HMRC have advised me I will need to declare after next April. So interest on a tax free lump sum may possibly be taxed depending how much total interest I've accrued on savings. Simply put there out to get you no matter how hard you've worked
No offence Tim, but you public sector workers and your (mostly) final salary pensions are living in a different world to rest of us.

No offence taken Andrew :wink: No I don't really have a clue on Pensions, think all I was trying to say is if you have any kind of pension lump sum you're thinking of cashing in do look at the tax implications carefully and get financial advice if you can which I didn't on the private pension I had. It was still a shock how much you pay out.

Yes I consider myself lucky. I knew at 17 when I went into Local Government it was basically a job for life, redundancies back then was unheard of and the pension scheme I knew was decent. They also paid for me to attend University for 4 years on a day release something they don't do now so always grateful for that. Especially when I had no clue on a career.

Having said that people seem to think a Local Government Pension is a golden gate, it can be if you work the full term but in my case I didnt, I've still been penalised for taking my Pension early. It wasn't like I hit 58 and thought I can put my feet up with no money worries ever. Still had to think long and hard that I could live a reasonable life if I took the Pension early. I decided to ask for my figures at 57 and worked out what my monthly Pension would be and basically lived on that for 12 months whilst working to see if it was workable before making a final decision. Still meant living within my means and changing lifestyle as I'm simply not on the income I was in employment.

For me it meant retiring before 60 no matter what. My dad passed away at 62 so never saw any retirement and two former work colleagues have passed away this year at 60 and 56 so it was just a priority to finish work if I could no matter what. Like Mr Tidy has said just a case of living within your means and cutting back on things and taking on board lifestyle changes to make it work for you. For me making those adjustments and going without certain things is worth it.

Tim.

DevonPaul

Post by DevonPaul » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am

I agree the Pensions are very different, Defined Benefit schemes put the risk on the employer (Rolls Royce was once regarded as a Pension Deficit Company with an Engineering arm), Defined Contribution (DC) relies on market returns and the investment choices of the individual. And Historically these have been poor, partly constrained by choice of Funds, but also personal choice. People tend to ignore their pensions. When I was a Pension Trustee we offerred members the option of carrying on with the default 'With Profits' fund (which were in the press as poor performers) or moving into a range of market options. less than 2% of people changed. The dotcom bust was recent news, and the 2008 Financial Crash was in full swing, so caution and inertia prevailed. As it turns out over the last 15 years the Global fund increased several fold more than the With Proifits one.

But you are only partly right, there is much more to the different schemes.

Local Govt pensions are not taxpayer funded, although they are pretty much the only Public Sector ones that aren't.
Secondly they aren't managed 'in house' by Council employees. Sure they have an administration section, same as any pension provider, but the Assets are managed by large investment houses who historically have made a lot of money for mediocre performance, pretty much like the Private sector :)

Lastly, anyone going at 58 would get a 35% or so reduction in their pension according to the reduction tables. Annoyingly I took mine 9.5 years early in Jan last year when the reductions for early retirement were higher, although I did get a 10% inflation linked increase :) And it is the last part that is the biggie, once in payment a DB scheme is risk free, and buying an index linked Annuity from a DC pot is expensive. The flipside is with a DC scheme these days you get the choice of Drawdown and keeping your pot.

However another thing to note is the salaries, In 2002/3 my wife was offerd double her Council salary to move to a Private firm doing PFI bids, although this was unusual. I took a 30%+ paycut to move to Local Govt, but at 37 hours rather than 40, more holidays, and their pension cotribution on top of my 6% being worth circa 20% (that was the pension contribution required from the employing company of TUPEd out employees to keep them in the LGPS), it made the hourly rate about the same. And there's the difference, if everyone in the Private Sector chucked 26% of their salary into Pensions every year, then early retirement would be much more common. But that doesn't happen very often.

I only joined the Council in about 2008 at 42, did 10 years but very sensibly transferred in my previous 5 year pot of DC Pension (which I'd been putting 20% into anyway) which I think turned out to be a good idea. However the bulk of my income still comes from 'Global Markets', PEPs and ISAs maxed for decades before Pension Freedom was an option (ISAs are taxed on the way in, Pensions on the way out, and I was damned if my hard earned savings were going to go on an annuity). I was also lucky to have a father who invested himself, and I too took an interest.

But to drag think back to your original question.....
Pondrew wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:43 am I have a 100% private pension, as I have worked for myself forever.

Suddenly in the last couple of months it has started to rise quite sharply again; I am talking 1% in a week!

Does anyone know why this would be? I have no idea how this financial wizardry works. I don't see the world economy suddenly getting stronger and certainly not the UK.
Sounds about right. Vanguard to a Global Tracker fund (actually an ETF) which much of my money is invested in. The ticker is VWRL, and there is an accumulation version VWRP. This fund effectively replicates every share in every market, it holds shares in 3700 different companies. The UK is a small part of the Global economy and has performed very badly over the last 20 years, hence a lot of UK centric Pension pots have not fared well. You can look at this chart and see how it fluctuates, set the chart style to 'percentage', it often changes by 1% or more in a day.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... are-charts

One of the advantages of managing your own money is it is easy to see what it is worth, the disadvantage is seeing your wealth drop by a year or so of takehome pay the day after the Brexit vote or by 3 years in a fortnight during the Pandemic, but if you can watch a year's money come and go in a week and not get too bothered, then self management is a lot better than paying some Fund Manager or IFA to do it for you :)

Paul
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

DevonPaul

Post by DevonPaul » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:11 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:48 pm Don't know if you have ever had to deal with inheritance tax cos that is a really good one.
A person works all their life, pays income tax, etc, then if they happen to die with more than £325,000 to their name, the HMRC want 40% of the extra.
And if you sell the deceased's property for more than the probate valuation; that's 28% capital gains they take!
Done a couple of these in the last 4 years so share your pain. Pay 40% when you earn it, 20% on the interest, and another 40% when you die.

It is not straightforward, but there can be up to £1M IHT exempt for a couple. Might be a bit late but often worth entering the Probate valuation for property on the higher side, avoids CGT on any significant gain and if there is IHT payable then you reclaim the overpayment if the realised sum is lower than the valuations.

As we're all getting on a bit, maybe we need a seperate board for Fiinances ;)
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:03 pm

What do you mean with the exempt bit for a couple? If one dies, isn’t the house free of iht for the remaining partner or did I read that wrong and it is about the children?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:49 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am No offence Tim, but you public sector workers and your (mostly) final salary pensions are living in a different world to rest of us.

I apologise for this post. It is none of my business what other people's financial status is and good luck to them! :)

It was a mix of beer (yes I know) and thinking about many of my family members who worked in the public sector. They have now been retired for longer than they worked and are on FSPs which I don't think is either fair or financially sustainable. They all worked at the Post Office, so no wonder stamps are so bloody expensive. And they all complain about how poor they are!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:01 pm

And we won’t mention train drivers …. :thumbsdown:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:08 pm

[/quote]Agree in part that us in public sector pensions schemes are in a totally different situation (I am lucky enough to have been in two and working on a third), however many moons ago I sat down and worked out how much I had paid in (Which was compulsory) and what I am now getting and having "retired" at 55 and taking that first pension, it will take me till I am 80 just to break even. Then the tax payer contributes.

The main benefits are that it is totally secure and the pension is guaranteed.

My sympathies go to those whose financial decisions can seriously effect their future quality of life.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White