Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch pedal bump stop

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
futureZ4buyer

Clutch pedal bump stop

Post by futureZ4buyer » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:57 am

I understand. Interesting. I never had that problem with any car, but I have long legs :rofl:
E85 2.2i

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Clutch pedal bump stop

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm

I’m fairly long of leg (6’ tall, 33-34” inside leg), so have no problem achieving full excursion of the clutch pedal. I tried a clutch stop a few years ago to see if reducing the pedal travel to little more than that required for the clutch to disengage would speed up my gear shifts on track. However, the clutch in my Zed disengages in the last third of the pedal travel, relatively close to the bulkhead, so the clutch stop prevented the clutch from fully disengaging.
The bite point of my clutch hasn’t changed in the last 90k miles ago, so I don’t think it’s indicative that the clutch is worn.
Regarding clutch pedal technique, I floor the pedal to the bulkhead when starting the car and during very fast, aggressive gear changes, but I tend to float the pedal just below the bite point when manoeuvring or in very slow moving traffic.
Holding the pedal off the floor requires much more muscular effort and finer control than simply pushing it against the hard stop of the bulkhead. The former requires synergistic contraction of quadriceps and hamstrings, and is highly dependent on neuromuscular feed back for precise control. There’s a significant risk of position drift with fatigue. The latter simply requires sustained contraction of the knee extensors against the immovable object that is the bulkhead with minimal finesse or control.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

futureZ4buyer

Clutch pedal bump stop

Post by futureZ4buyer » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:15 pm

Yeah, I figured that it might be different for every car. I won't experiment with this one. I understand the benefits but it is not worth it in my opinion.
E85 2.2i

Wozzich

Clutch pedal bump stop

Post by Wozzich » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 am

Here's my 2 cents / experience / what I did. (Might be useful)
The reason i wanted one was because I'm 1930mm tall (6'4) and I have the sports seats. The seat is all the way back and down, I would prefer if it went down another 20-30mm but that's a much larger project. My knees are quite bent upwards so prefer the seat base tilted upwards at the front for support. But I found that with the full throw of the stock clutch stop there was a big mismatch between my right and left leg position.

Because getting anything out to Western Australia is slow and expensive (The UUC Big Boy is about $100au landed), I made my own.

I tried an M10 bolt, but found it was actually 3/8th (A little South Carolina in my German car). My local hardware store had these table feet. I needed to cut down the thread by about 20mm and then added a stick on pad to the bottom.

Cost about $7au and one hour of my time.
So far perfect.
Attachments
20240406_171615.jpg
20240406_171615.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 41 times