Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DCT gearbox maps

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:47 pm

I've been mulling this over for a while. I had my 35i stage 1 mapped about 4 years ago and since then I've considering getting the DCT gearbox mapped as well. Who else has had the box mapped and what improvements did you notice as the box is quite good as standard ?
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:07 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:47 pm I've been mulling this over for a while. I had my 35i stage 1 mapped about 4 years ago and since then I've considering getting the DCT gearbox mapped as well. Who else has had the box mapped and what improvements did you notice as the box is quite good as standard ?
You can get a third party to map it..or you can buy xHP which is the most popular / very good easy to use re-map tool..as a by the by many 3rd party tuners use xHP..

With that you can tailor it to suit your preferred styles..and as you learn you can keep revising things..unlike a one off re-map..l

It makes what IMHO is a pretty average shift logic to one that is so so much better..

There are some esoteric other options but you need a rocket science degree to use them…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:43 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:07 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:47 pm I've been mulling this over for a while. I had my 35i stage 1 mapped about 4 years ago and since then I've considering getting the DCT gearbox mapped as well. Who else has had the box mapped and what improvements did you notice as the box is quite good as standard ?
You can get a third party to map it..or you can buy xHP which is the most popular / very good easy to use re-map tool..as a by the by many 3rd party tuners use xHP..

With that you can tailor it to suit your preferred styles..and as you learn you can keep revising things..unlike a one off re-map..l

It makes what IMHO is a pretty average shift logic to one that is so so much better..

There are some esoteric other options but you need a rocket science degree to use them…
Cheers, I'll look into the xHP, I was going to take car to my local Indy that did my Stage 1 map as he has now set up his new Dyno room too but will look at the xHP first :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver

B21
Lifer
Lifer

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:46 pm

Depends on what car /engine / gearbox you have..with some cars it’s best to use a tuner ..IMHO…with a N54 car there is such a wealth of 3rd party support and tools that unless you go really off piste the off the shelf tools do as good a job as a tuner plus you can revisit / develop your capabilities..

If you have any questions pls to answe them :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:03 pm

I put my car in my first post, 35i with 7 speed dct and its a stage 1 map so about 370bhp.

I'll speak with my Indy and see what they use, they are a good bunch and see what they charge, also just had a quick look at the xHP and could see various packages like a full license or a 123 map pack.
2009 35i DCT silver

Marcoose

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Marcoose » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:33 am

xHP was a great improvement with downshifts in Sport+. The OE map is super slow.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

mcbutler

DCT gearbox maps

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:55 pm

if you want to buy Hhp wait till new year they generally do really good sales, so do MHD for the engine maps :thumbsup:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

1536Z4

DCT gearbox maps

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:53 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:47 pm Who else has had the box mapped
xHp on an E86 not E89 . Paid for the stage 3 map so I can choose which one to run or improvise my own . Very easy set up and much better shifts . A very good upgrade . :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:39 pm

Cheers all :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver

R.E92

DCT gearbox maps

Post by R.E92 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:45 pm

I had xHP for a while and it was an improvement over the original BMW software in some ways, faster downshifts and better shift points but still not perfect and a fair bit more jerky.

There is a guy over on the Spoolstreet forums that modified a version of the M3 GTS software to work with the Z4 and it's on another level. I paid him around £100 for the software so about 25% the cost of xHP. He basically just took the original BMW software from the E92 M3 GTS and adjusted it to work with the lower N54 RPM limit, final drive and different shifter.

It's a really popular conversion for E9x M3s.

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:50 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:45 pm I had xHP for a while and it was an improvement over the original BMW software in some ways, faster downshifts and better shift points but still not perfect and a fair bit more jerky.

There is a guy over on the Spoolstreet forums that modified a version of the M3 GTS software to work with the Z4 and it's on another level. I paid him around £100 for the software so about 25% the cost of xHP. He basically just took the original BMW software from the E92 M3 GTS and adjusted it to work with the lower N54 RPM limit, final drive and different shifter.

It's a really popular conversion for E9x M3s.
:thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:16 pm

Right then, after going to see my local bm Indy garage JWS to book the car in for a couple of exhaust gaskets and bolts to be change I chatted to them about the DCT Gearbox remap. This is the garage that did my stage 1 tune and said that they create their own programs for the gearbox. I told them about not wanting to lose the pops that my exhaust gives on up changes between 1st 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th at just over 4000rpm, they said I would probably be better off with the xHP flash tool so that I could try loads of different settings to suit what I wanted and could play about with it until I got it just right.
My question now is do I purchase just the xHP flash license package or go for the xHP flash combo package which adds the map pack which is the 3 pre programmed maps (big difference in price) :idunno:
2009 35i DCT silver

matsmith749

DCT gearbox maps

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:46 pm

Without buying the maps, what will you flash?
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Jollyjoiner

DCT gearbox maps

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:44 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:46 pm Without buying the maps, what will you flash?
So what you are saying is you have to buy the license which then allows you to load the pre designed maps and then alter and customise those maps ?
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the license allowed you to alter the standard settings creating your own map in affect 🤔
2009 35i DCT silver

B21
Lifer
Lifer

DCT gearbox maps

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:38 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:44 pm
matsmith749 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:46 pm Without buying the maps, what will you flash?
So what you are saying is you have to buy the license which then allows you to load the pre designed maps and then alter and customise those maps ?
Forgive my ignorance but I thought the license allowed you to alter the standard settings creating your own map in affect 🤔
You can do many things without buying a map pack..but do you know what you are doing?

With some experience and a map pack it’s easier then to go off piste…

Quite a few people have got themselves in a pickle when DIY

Some things like increased clutch pressures AFAIK are only available with a custom tune or map pack..

Personally if I couldn’t afford / didn’t want to spend the money on the map pack I’d just stick with stock settings..