Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice NC500

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Baza

Advice NC500

Post by Baza » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:37 pm

Planning to do the NC500 next year, I have heard it can be a bit of a procession in the summer months ,I am quite happy to go earlier in the year if it means less traffic on the route ,any recommendations would late April or May be a good time? Which would be the best direction as laid out or reverse direction. Any help /pointers welcome
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Advice NC500

Post by B21 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:00 pm

Hello me again :thumbsup:

I’ve done the NC500 now 7 times..twice in one year.

It can get silly in summer and school holidays..bear in mind Scottish school holidays are out of sync with English dates.

Each way has its own vistas so either way works.

Next year I plan to go mid April..after Easter.

It’s best to take a chill pill and not treat it like a race track…there is mixed use..big camper vans, small camper vans, push bikes, lots of motorcycles often in large groups, foreign visitors of mixed skill level and of course the locals…some of which move very quickly in sometimes highly inappropriate vehicles.

Before Easter most things are closed..the season runs into October but again things start to shut down then.

There are many interesting bays, lochs and villages just off the route ..but they burn time..

You can do it in 3 reasonably long driving days ..which is what we do..some people take a longer period to do some more touristy things.

Midges are problematic from late May through early September when conditions are suitable…ie you can be eaten alive in a few minutes if stopped..

The section from Inverness to John 0 Groats is congested with commercial traffic..and compared to other parts not the greatest scenery..although compared to many parts of the UK still better than many places.

The section along the top from John o Groats to Bettyhill is less heavy in traffic but scenery wise same sort of logic applies.

From Bettyhill along the rest of the way to Dungeness and then south to Ullapool is fabulous and just keeps on giving with epic scenery..

The section from Ullapool back to Inverness is pretty good compared to most road trips but not quite as good as the previous section.

Roads have been heavily resurfaced over the last couple of years..but it’s a mixed bag..there are a few miles of Gaza level potholes..

There’s an art to progressing well on the single track roads of which there are quite a few..this is the point where it can go downhill rapidly with increased Grockle count…

Police enforcement outside of peak session seems light..but the6 do send out special patrols from Inverness specifically for enforcement.

Direction wise I’d say anti clockwise I prefer but I’m going clockwise next year for novelty..

There are some lovely roads and scenery in the hinterland if time permits..in part captured by the Grand Tour trip..

Getting decent accommodation at a reasonable price is problematic especially for larger groups.

You’ll enjoy it for sure…weather is a Russian roulette..most trips I’ve had two half days of poorer weather out of 3 days on the route..no guarantees on that either way..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Baza

Advice NC500

Post by Baza » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:08 pm

Wow thanks for your voluminous description a lot to take in but all valuable. Having been in retirement mode for many years time is not an issue so a chill pill is my standard format. Looks like I need to start planning, coming from the soft south I need a couple of days just to get in striking distance of the route. Thanks for the timing tips looks like April might suit best. No room this time for the spare.
Panther Kallista 2.8

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Advice NC500

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:34 pm

Baza wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:08 pm Wow thanks for your voluminous description a lot to take in but all valuable. Having been in retirement mode for many years time is not an issue so a chill pill is my standard format. Looks like I need to start planning, coming from the soft south I need a couple of days just to get in striking distance of the route. Thanks for the timing tips looks like April might suit best. No room this time for the spare.
I went on B21s NC500 trip in early May and it was fantastic! So you could always think about joining his trip next year, although it's more about driving than taking in the scenery! So maybe not ideal if you have a passenger. :wink:

I'm further South than you but I drove to Duns in about 7 hours (396 miles) the day before I met up because I wanted to visit the Jim Clark Museum.

But however you do it make sure you do.

I did take my spare, but I was on my own.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

pvr
Legend
Legend

Advice NC500

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:34 am

I am in the minority as I have done it, and the damage to the paintwork of my car was around the £9k mark due to the bad road surfaces up there, so would never do it again. I know that Porsches are probably a bit more sensitive on the rear arches (wide body) than the Z, but it even stripped the plastic protectors from the arches.

I have done 5 Highlander trips before which were absolutely fine, but the NC500 has specifically bad surfaces in places.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Advice NC500

Post by MrPT » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:57 am

Anticlockwise, I reckon, if it's the first time.

The long slog to/from Scotland can really put a downer on the trip, so it's worth thinking about that too. I see you’re based around here - you could go M1/A1M/A68 and stop overnight in Edinburgh, which will at least give you some lovely driving at the end of the first day and lots of nice options in terms of dinner/overnighting.

Then, for Day 2, maybe even consider going up to Inverness via the Old Military Road (through Glenshee and Braemar instead of via the A9) and head straight up to Tongue via Lairg instead of doing the north east bit of the NC500. It's a great option, if you have a limited amount of time and prefer driving to staring at vast expanses of bird poo.

Agree about potential paintwork damage. :o
Last edited by MrPT on Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Advice NC500

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:49 am

Baza wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:08 pm Wow thanks for your voluminous description a lot to take in but all valuable. Having been in retirement mode for many years time is not an issue so a chill pill is my standard format. Looks like I need to start planning, coming from the soft south I need a couple of days just to get in striking distance of the route. Thanks for the timing tips looks like April might suit best. No room this time for the spare.
As MrPT pointed out there are some great routes in Scotland to and from Inverness..he mentioned the Blairgowrie..Spittal of Glenshee, Braemar, `Tomintoul route..that is a fab route..a lot of heavy artillery use that route often at great speed :tumbleweed:

Also intersting route from Inverness on the east side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus then taking in Glencoe which again is an epic vista / road with the option of doing the James Bond Skyfall pose..

If you want any pointers on accomo etc pm me ..enjoy the trip :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Baza

Advice NC500

Post by Baza » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:11 am

Well I asked for some help and pointers and I am not disappointed. Thanks guys, your info will be taken on board and the optional routes will be investigated. Good to get first hand knowledge. time to get the maps out.
Panther Kallista 2.8

brillomaster

Advice NC500

Post by brillomaster » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:12 pm

personally, i think the full NC500 is a bit overrated... the east coast isn't that exciting in my opinion, i would focus my efforts on the west coast. base yourself in Ullapool, and get a good early morning drive up to Durness with no traffic, on one of the best roads in the world. have lunch, then a leisurely cruise back in the afternoon.

Oh also if you can, get across to the Isle of Skye, some really stunning scenery and roads over there too.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Advice NC500

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:14 pm

Ullapool is an excellent base, stayed there many times. Say hello to the seals :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

obewan

Advice NC500

Post by obewan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:04 pm

Concur with the advice given previously. Info/comments on how we did the NC500.

We went clockwise, but there’s no obvious advantage whichever way you go that I can see. (Other than you see the best views first, rather than ‘leaving best ‘til last’)

Many people complain of the amount of traffic on the route. I think we were lucky in that when we went it was just after one of the Covid lock downs ended, (June 21). The roads were very quiet, you could drive for 15-20 mins and not see another car! Watch out for Police speed traps, we didn’t see any, but others have mentioned it. Also unmarked cars & bikes are often used by the Police.

All the B&B’s had vacancies on the night we stayed, which the owners said was unheard of normally.

Tips
• Get a huge fold-out map of the region. We stuck it on the wall and highlighted the route. Then using Google maps for driving times you can circle the area you want to be looking for accommodation each day.
• I planned on about 2-3 hours actual driving per day, and it worked well. Longest day (B&B to B&B) was about 6 hours as we stopped a lot to admire views, go for walks or explore small towns.
• Many of the B&Bs are 10 miles further on than the middle of nowhere! Book ahead for meals if they do them. If not, plan to stop on route. We had to back track a couple of times to the nearest small town to find somewhere to eat. Even then it may only be a small hotel/bar that was not open to non-residents and a takeaway was the only option.
• Particularly in far North and West coast, if you see a petrol pump, fill up! You use more fuel than normal on the twisty roads. Pumps are scarce and hard to spot. (Not always garage forecourts as we know them) Also ‘Bert’ may have decided not to open on the day you go through or he’s gone for lunch!
• We took a large AA style map book as well as Sat Nav. Good for the Co-pilot to follow the route and suggest detours to local beauty spots. Added advantage that it kept you on the correct route as the Sat Nav tries to take you the quickest way.
• There are loads and loads of places to pull off the road and admire the views, so don’t worry if you pass one, there’ll be another in 200m or so.
• If you come up behind another car, they are good at pulling over to let you past (just remember to do the same)
• We didn’t do the Applecross loop on the West coast as it looked long, single track and steep in places. Talking to my neighbour on our return he told me I’d missed a great section of Atlantic coastal views.
• If you detour slightly at Glencoe it takes you to the ‘James Bond Skyfall Road’
• Be careful and don’t take any risks – A sign in a shop at Durness warns that the nearest hospital A&E dept is 150miles away!!!!
• Midges – only encountered them a couple of times. Everyone recommends Avon ‘Skin so Soft’ spray. It’s a dry oil spray with Lemon in it. Think I got it off Amazon.
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Baza

Advice NC500

Post by Baza » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:44 am

obewan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:04 pm Info/comments on how we did the NC500.
Thanks for the solid advice
Panther Kallista 2.8

earthdweller

Advice NC500

Post by earthdweller » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:49 am

It’s well worth doing at least once ( in each direction )

I’ve done it in both directions but in honesty Scotland has much better driving roads elsewhere than the Nc500 route

I’d do it again but I’d probably miss out the north east section as really there isn’t anything there

Possibly my views on it may be controversial but having had my eyes opened to other parts of Scotland I’m firmly of the belief that the NC500 is hype over substance
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

plenty

Advice NC500

Post by plenty » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:35 pm

earthdweller wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:49 am Possibly my views on it may be controversial but having had my eyes opened to other parts of Scotland I’m firmly of the belief that the NC500 is hype over substance
Not controversial. The NC500 wasn't created for maximum driving thrills. They wanted to bring tourists to the Highlands, and excluding the NE from this would not have been politically viable for the project.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Advice NC500

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:33 pm

Baza wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:11 am Well I asked for some help and pointers and I am not disappointed. Thanks guys, your info will be taken on board and the optional routes will be investigated. Good to get first hand knowledge. time to get the maps out.
Hi there,
Having done it several times,or in parts over the years, before it was an official route as such, including doing various group trips including some through this forum that I organised with upto 12 +cars on....
My takeway is
Imo,it's best done Anti Clockwise,to do the best bits,scenery and driving wise last,but is good either way.
For scenery/things to visit, definitely worth looking at Waligo steps,Smoo caves(has unique attributes of both Salt water and Fresh water waterfalls that run into it,but sadly no longer the wee boat man Trips into the deeper parts of the caves)
Definitely worth a visit, likewise is the Zip line up near Durness as well as several lovely looking beaches,which can be almost tropical in their appearance at times.
For Driving roads,some are in poor condition,but most haven't been too bad any time I have done it.
Favourites are the Roads in the West coast,the Applecross roads/Bealach na Ba, which is very scenic if views allow from the viewpoint (if not misty/clouded over)and many more,not to mention the excellent bit from Tongue up to Durness,the bit just after leaving from the Tongue hotel is one of my favourites on the whole route.

The East coast is worth doing, although not as interesting to some as the West coast side, still worth doing.
There's a wee Go kart track in Golspie ,but sadly not open to public (Clarkson and co went there a few years back)
The road from there cutting upwards from East to West is also nice to do,ala Grand Tour esque route,but haven't done that particular bit for many ,years,so can't say to conditions of road surfaces on that but,but it's not part of the NC500 Route,as it cuts out John O Groats and the Obligatory photo op of the Sign,as well as the views over to Stroma etc.
Also,Duncasby Head Lighthouse and nearby Sea Stacks are worth a stop/picture of,as it's the actual most Northern tip of Scotland/The UK.

Enjoy your trip,and book accommodation as far in advance as possible :driving: :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)