Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New car with a few teething problems..

"M" Specific discussion
CliveN

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:14 am

have now purchased a Z4M Coupe and its not bad in overall terms and was a private sale at a reasonable price. Pictures to follow. It has a few faults though. The window one touch on the drivers side doesn't work which seems to be a switch issue and the Airbag warning light came on 15o miles into my return journey. Bad news. I presume the car is drivable. I have looked widely on the forum and it appears that this is a relatively common issue but i really dent want someone just to reset it and then for it come on again later. Where is the usual problem please so I can tell my info where to look? Finally, I seem to have lost the service information on the cars computer. How do you access it? The manual is not clear. Or has that disappeared too? The car drives better than a Z3M but the gearbox is still notch and throttle response quite vivid lets say. Its not as smooth as an auto lets say. Please help!
Clive N
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:10 am

Many people like the Creator 310+ , it should read the code and reset the airbag, costs £65. You need to find out where the problem lies, it could be a minor wiring problem or a module. If you say where you are a member may be near enough to help.
Last edited by raymond.harper on Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:10 am

Welcome along. Sorry to hear you have had teething problems. The drivers window doesn’t have one touch. The airbag light could be a range of things from a low battery to a faulty module- really need a code read to know what it is. Service history should be in a book.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:33 am

Welcome to the forum Clive. Hope you get your niggles sorted quickly. :)

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:10 am

Hello thanks. So, even though the driver's window has a two stage switch it only operates while its being held up? If so, then that a problem less. The car is interlagos blue with Syrah blue leather. I will need to take it to an indy - I am near Bristol so I have Forza in Caldicot and I understand relish is in Bristol too. Can anyone please advise on how I access the service "mileage count down" on the dash please? Or is this only the regular E85/6? The book and receipts tell me it on paper. But i thought this had a "its time for a service" light?
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:12 am

by the way guys I have been on here as Bernev and Maria1 since 2017 but i am a lazy poster (but an avid reader) so each time I try to log in to post I find I have lost my details...so I created a new account this time with my real name!
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:42 pm

It does have one touch, probably just need to reset the windows, try this:

viewtopic.php?t=196

If you fancy a bimble down the M4 I'm near Chippenham, happy to read / clear codes for you.

The service countdown should come up on the dash when you switch the car on.....
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:05 pm

Hello Andy Beach thanks for the advice - yes I have found the service information. Doh. But all BMWs are different (at least from different eras). We are off to spain but when we are back (New Year) I will certainly be in touch as I need to start understanding the car!
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:21 pm

hi thanks for the window fix. Unfortunately it didn't to mine. Onwards and upwards. So, we have an airbag fault, and windows wgch dont operate quite properly and dont seem to go down enough - certainly a lot less than my E89. It also seems to have front shock boots split. The dealer who did the Inspection II quoted £500! Can it be done more simply?
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:58 pm

The window reset is fiddly to get working sometimes. Make sure the car is running with both doors shut and repeat the procedure until it works. Normally I just hold the switch up for a few seconds a couple of times at the top and the bottom to resolve.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:06 pm

CliveN wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:21 pm hi thanks for the window fix. Unfortunately it didn't to mine. Onwards and upwards. So, we have an airbag fault, and windows wgch dont operate quite properly and dont seem to go down enough - certainly a lot less than my E89. It also seems to have front shock boots split. The dealer who did the Inspection II quoted £500! Can it be done more simply?
Can't imagine either of those will take much to sort. I've got the BMW diagnostic software on a laptop, won't take more than 5/10 mintues to check and clear codes or at least find out what's causing the problem. Let me know if you want to pop round (drop me a PM).

Regards the shock boots, presume you mean the dust covers / boot that covers the strut rather than a CV joint or similar? If it's just the dust cover you'd be mad to pay anything to fix it TBH let alone £500. Not pretty but just use some adhesive or dare I say even duct tape on it if it really bothers you, it won't make much difference and depending on your mileage your shocks might be worth replacing in any case.....

It'll be £500 as the shock will need dropping from it's mount to put a new one on but absolutely a waste of money. A good independent mechanic should advise you better ways to deal with that issue, Redish are good as are Forza from what I've heard.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:54 pm

Thanks AndyB - I will be in touch! Yes it was the shock's dust covers. No I wont be taking the dealers offer up - it was on an invoice from the previous keeper from April this year. I will examine the issue when I take the wheels off. Another stupid question though - I travelled back 230 miles yesterday so the engine was nice and hot but still the final orange light on the Tacho didn't switch off. Is this normal?
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:59 pm

Welcome to the forum Clive, and to MC ownership. :thumbsup:

The last orange light on the tacho never goes out.

I hope you can get those other issues resolved, and I'd love to see some photos - that sounds like a unique colour combination!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:15 pm

CliveN wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:54 pm I travelled back 230 miles yesterday so the engine was nice and hot but still the final orange light on the Tacho didn't switch off. Is this normal?
Yup that's normal :wink:

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:38 pm

Thanks guys for your help and patience. Going back to B a fully analogue car means sone relearning! And stupid questions .
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS