Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Missing Comforts Would Be Deal Breakers ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
SwissTone

Post by SwissTone » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:06 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:29 pm So many replies about air conditioning being a 'must'. They are convertibles! What is wrong with you lot? :roll: :poke:

Parking sensors on an E89 is the most useful option IMHO. You can't see feck all of the thing when in the driving seat. I drive my daughter's (POS) Mini quite a bit which hasn't got any sensors. I struggle to reverse it onto our drive as am so used to them on all the other cars.

A 'must' for me with an E89 would be not to have the N54 engine. It's great....but boy it is troublesome and expensive when it goes wrong (which it will). :P
Being on the short side you could get a booster seat :P
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

SwissTone

Post by SwissTone » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:14 pm

Aircon is super useful IMHO …. During the wet winter months it clears quicker and during the super hot days I’ll put the roof up when stuck in traffic.

Mine came with little to no options added (Paintwork, Interior upgrade, wind deflector) so I have added a few bits that I found I wanted/needed…thanks to our wonderful Dave’s support and guidance

1) iDrive/609/Combox etc (added a MrVolt box which is a lifesaver with the crappy old maps)
2) Cruise helps me keep to speed limits when i get distracted
3) Folding mirrors … handy for the garage
4) PDC (i have a tendency to bounce into things in the Zed compared to my other car)
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:54 pm

You forgot see-through windscreens! :lol: :thumbsup:

Sometimes things seem to bounce into your Zed!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

SwissTone

Post by SwissTone » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 pm

I can see in HD now!!

My G20 got a lovely stone chip in the screen the other day and it doesn’t look like it’s repairable :cry:
E89 20i ish M Sport

Cheeky Charlie

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 am

tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm ....
Parking sensors are probably great for all you old boys who can't see too well any more, but I don't really see the point. :poke:

My favourite feature is probably the auto angling-down passenger wing mirror when reversing, so helpful in avoiding scraped alloys! May I refer you to your previous comment!! :rofl: :poke:
tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm IDrive? Not really sure what the point of that is 15 years later. Stick your phone on the dash and have a much better experience.
It may be an old system but what can't it do?
If using your phone to change tracks you either have to touch the screen, taking your concentration off the road (which is now illegal to touch your phone while driving), or ask Siri or hey Google, if it'll pick your voice up, which isn't always possible especially if you have the roof down and at speed.
With iDrive you have everything at your fingertips,

Radio (+DAB)
CD/DVD (CDC/DVDC)
Built-in hard drive (Music storage)
USB & AUX input
Bluetooth handsfree & music streaming
Sat-Nav (updatable, current version 2024/1) - Still gives alternative routes for accidents/roadworks in real time

Also with the potential to add an MMI box for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto - More music and nav options.

But at the end of the day it's Horses-for-courses :D
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:03 am

SwissTone wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:14 pm Aircon is super useful IMHO …. During the wet winter months it clears quicker and during the super hot days I’ll put the roof up when stuck in traffic.

Mine came with little to no options added (Paintwork, Interior upgrade, wind deflector) so I have added a few bits that I found I wanted/needed…thanks to our wonderful Dave’s support and guidance

1) iDrive/609/Combox etc (added a MrVolt box which is a lifesaver with the crappy old maps)
2) Cruise helps me keep to speed limits when i get distracted
3) Folding mirrors … handy for the garage
4) PDC (i have a tendency to bounce into things in the Zed compared to my other car)
We were stuck in a hold up on the A46 round Leicester the other weekend, it was red hot and we had the roof down. Debated whether to put the roof back up, but just decided to put the air-con on full blast instead. Probably not the most efficient way to do it but it did the trick until we got moving again :driving: :rofl:

Always happy to help Charlie, glad you're sorted now :thumbsup:
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:26 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 am
tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm ....
Parking sensors are probably great for all you old boys who can't see too well any more, but I don't really see the point. :poke:

My favourite feature is probably the auto angling-down passenger wing mirror when reversing, so helpful in avoiding scraped alloys! May I refer you to your previous comment!! :rofl: :poke:
tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm IDrive? Not really sure what the point of that is 15 years later. Stick your phone on the dash and have a much better experience.
It may be an old system but what can't it do?
If using your phone to change tracks you either have to touch the screen, taking your concentration off the road (which is now illegal to touch your phone while driving), or ask Siri or hey Google, if it'll pick your voice up, which isn't always possible especially if you have the roof down and at speed.
With iDrive you have everything at your fingertips,

Radio (+DAB)
CD/DVD (CDC/DVDC)
Built-in hard drive (Music storage)
USB & AUX input
Bluetooth handsfree & music streaming
Sat-Nav (updatable, current version 2024/1) - Still gives alternative routes for accidents/roadworks in real time

Also with the potential to add an MMI box for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto - More music and nav options.

But at the end of the day it's Horses-for-courses :D
FWIW I just hate cabins where you’ve got things stuck on air vents or glued to windscreens with external wires etc running across the cabin..others seem to be happy with Christmas trees of adapters etc… :tumbleweed:

As was said if you are driving a roadster thr roof should be down so Siri etc tend to be useless..that means taking your hands off the wheel to answer phones, change nav etc etc.. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:19 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:26 pm
FWIW I just hate cabins where you’ve got things stuck on air vents or glued to windscreens with external wires etc running across the cabin..others seem to be happy with Christmas trees of adapters etc… :tumbleweed:
[Hides dashcam]

I take it you're not a fan of the Japanese car scene then, especially the Bosozoku craze :rofl: :driving:
Dave

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:23 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 am With iDrive you have everything at your fingertips...
Perhaps our iDrives are different, or more likely I still haven't wrapped the old noggin around using it properly. But for most iDrive functions in my car, I have to move one hand off the steering wheel onto the knob, and gaze into the screen.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:34 pm

Marcoose wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:23 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 am With iDrive you have everything at your fingertips...
Perhaps our iDrives are different, or more likely I still haven't wrapped the old noggin around using it properly. But for most iDrive functions in my car, I have to move one hand off the steering wheel onto the knob, and gaze into the screen.
Yes thats correct, your fingertips are on the end of your hand! :rofl: :poke:
Seriously though, you press the Voice button (left side block, top right button) and ask for what you want, radio, USB, nav, CD etc (full list of usable words are in the manual) 👍 that is assuming you have full Voice (VO code 620)
Dave

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:28 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:34 pm Seriously though, you press the Voice button (left side block, top right button) and ask for what you want, radio, USB, nav, CD etc (full list of usable words are in the manual) 👍 that is assuming you have full Voice (VO code 620)
I have it. And now and then I give it another try. It's hit and miss. Yes, English is not my mother tongue and I have a 'charming' accent. But it's the same with my all-American English-only wife, our indy, etc. For me, the voice function is rubbish. iDrive is one of those comforts that, knowing what I know now, I could've done without. It adds nothing to my joy of driving.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:45 pm

A car with massive spec , all the options but iffy history & not in pristine order against a lowly specced car but immaculate & over serviced :oops: now that is always a dilemma :roll:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:49 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:34 pm
ronk wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:14 pm I’m happy to say that my old bus has got all the toys with the exception of high beam assist. (I wish it had!)
High beam assist is rubbish. You ain't missing anything Ron. I've now had three cars with it (all different makes) and they were all terrible. It gets embarrassing when you are constantly blinding oncoming traffic, or dips the high beam for a road sign! :roll:
I specced my 2016 F20 with high beam assist and have to say for the most part it worked quite well, where it struggled was on steep inclines but otherwise no issues. For me it wouldn't be a deal breaker if the car I was looking at didn't have it, I would classify it as nice to have.

When I was looking for a Z4, my must have were the following (in no particular order) and mine had them all with the exception of the wind deflector which was very easy to retrofit hence not a deal breaker when searching for the car.

1. M Sport seats, they are just so much more comfortable and hold you in place in the bends.

2. iDrive - Yes it is 14 year old blah blah BUT it is still super functional and the maps (updated) still work great and when you add an MMI box well then it just doesn't compare to sticking your phone on the dash. :rofl:

3. Cruise control - Isn't the E89 more of a GT than a true sports car? Super useful on long drives and even short ones sometimes. Sure it isn't the type of cruise that brakes for you if there is an obstacle infront but my Golf 7.5 has that and I find it irritating.

4. Wind deflector

5. Parking sensors - say what you will about being the best driver in the world and I don't need sensors blah blah, fact is couple with the pictogram on the iDrive they are super useful when getting the car into very tight spaces.

6. Folding door mirrors - just useful in tight spaces and when parked on the road to avoid risking someone snapping the mirror off.

7. Automatic gearbox - of course would prefer a sportier DCT type box but the N52 didn't come with one. The vast majority of manuals in BMWs just aren't that great and the auto is better suited to the car.

8. Auto lights and wipers, self dimming mirror and drivers mirror that drops down when reversing - Once again super useful

Nice to have but not essential:
Extended light package

Really doesn't matter:
Comfort access
Sound system - better to upgrade it with an aftermarket system which will always sound better and the basic system is easiest to upgrade for a low cost.
Adaptive lights
Adaptive suspension - if you want better handling again you would be better off with one the afterrmarket options

Alot of what I have mentioned above is specific to the Z4 and on some other car it might be the other way around e.g. manual instead of auto box etc.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:59 pm

Marcoose wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:28 pm I have it. And now and then I give it another try. It's hit and miss. Yes, English is not my mother tongue and I have a 'charming' accent. But it's the same with my all-American English-only wife, our indy, etc. For me, the voice function is rubbish. iDrive is one of those comforts that, knowing what I know now, I could've done without. It adds nothing to my joy of driving.
Yeah to be fair I have it as well, but never use it, so I'd be using the controller to change things. Saying that though once I'm in Android Auto and playing a playlist it's very rare I bother to change anything, apart from the odd track skip, and that's the steering wheel buttons. :thumbsup:
Dave

Gwest44

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:08 pm

For me less is more it's why I love my Z3 - manual roof and no heated seats or SatNav. Always makes me laugh that unlike the E85, E86 & E89 it does have a spare tyre and electric seats were standard on all models.

On the E85's & E89's I've had I do like the folding exterior mirrors and think bluetooth music capability is a must - SatNav is always a big no-no for me and let's be honest the cup holder's are always pointless.

Not had one yet with the heated steering wheel - I'd be scared they'd render my driving gloves pointless :rofl:
Screenshot_20230920_210635_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20230920_210635_Amazon Shopping.jpg (64.86 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 8xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's