Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox oil change

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4Mariner

Gearbox oil change

Post by Z4Mariner » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:38 am

I watched the same video before addressing my E86 manual transmission fluid change - but with the hex bit well-seated the plugs came out pretty easily. On the other hand, I'm fortunate that my 2006 coupe hasn't been driven in winter, so road salt corrosion wasn't operating on them. I used new plugs mostly because I had ordered them ahead.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

x-driver

Gearbox oil change

Post by x-driver » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:12 pm

I'm preparing for an oil change in my '03 3.0i manual.

Any thougts about Ravenol MF2? Or some other suggestions? Normal/sporty road usage.
I've read that more people didn't really like the Motul Gear 300...

Z4Mariner

Gearbox oil change

Post by Z4Mariner » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:13 pm

I used BMW MTL2 for my transmission fluid change a year ago. It improved shift feel a bit, but mine was not bad before.

I have no experience with Ravenol. In the US, they are relatively new, though they have a history of over 75 years in Germany. I did a quick Google search, and found some discussion on "Bob Is the Oil Guy" forum. They seem to be a reputable supplier of high performance fluids, but that's all I have for you. Maybe others can chime in with personal experiences.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

x-driver

Gearbox oil change

Post by x-driver » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

:thumbsup:

I might just try Ravenol as one of Slovenian most known and trusted oil merchant sells it besides Motul and some others less known to me.

FixMyZ4

Gearbox oil change

Post by FixMyZ4 » Sun May 05, 2024 10:13 pm

Just done my gearbox oil.
17mm socket with extension and I struggled to loosen both plugs - not sure why these were so tight.
For me it was just shy of 1L to drain and I put whole liter back (minus tiny spill) - I had car slightly tillted up from fill plug side, so potentially 200ml was sloshed to side.

colb

Gearbox oil change

Post by colb » Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am

When it comes to refilling I always use a long length of plastic tube and feed it down through the engine bay and insert it to the filler hole. Attach the oil bottle to the tube and feed the oil down the tube by squeezing the bottle. Once it overflows extract the tube and fit the plug back in the box. Do this on the Z3 and Z4. You always need to buy 2 bottles of oil to get the right amount into the box. There should be a label on the side of the gearbox to indicate what type of oil the box takes, either gearbox oil or ATF. Owners handbook should also list what is required. If you go to the Opie Oils website that can list the recommended fluids based on the model of your car. Also if you buy from Opie put the code in for the Forum discount.
Example for a 2.5 car here, just change vehicle to yours
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-337-oil-fluids.aspx
Personally I tend to use Millers Oils fully synthetic for gearbox and engine, Engine filters are usually Mann brand as these come with the O rings for the filter stem, others do not include these.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

STC_Zed

Gearbox oil change

Post by STC_Zed » Sat May 11, 2024 12:52 pm

The gearbox should be easy to change the oil on having done a few 1 and 3 series now.

As already said, take the fill plug out first just in case. I use a large syringe with some plastic tube on end to fill. I’ve used Redline oil in they last few I’ve done and it’s always improved the shift no end.

FixMyZ4

Gearbox oil change

Post by FixMyZ4 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:00 pm

colb wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am There should be a label on the side of the gearbox to indicate what type of oil the box takes, either gearbox oil or ATF.
Not used oppie oils before, handy page, yet confused me with M54 engine code, but I think mine is E85.

I did not see anything there, but she was a bit dirty, old oil mist/spill - will get it cleaned to check - would not think there is such info beded into box - thanks for tip.

I agree on oil filters - Mann has all the bits :)
Thanks

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Gearbox oil change

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 11, 2024 9:21 pm

FixMyZ4 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:00 pm
colb wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am There should be a label on the side of the gearbox to indicate what type of oil the box takes, either gearbox oil or ATF.
Not used oppie oils before, handy page, yet confused me with M54 engine code, but I think mine is E85.

I did not see anything there, but she was a bit dirty, old oil mist/spill - will get it cleaned to check - would not think there is such info beded into box - thanks for tip.

I agree on oil filters - Mann has all the bits :)
Thanks
E85 is the model.
If you have a 6-cylinder with a dipstick it is an M54, if it is a facelift model without a dipstick it is N52.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

FixMyZ4

Gearbox oil change

Post by FixMyZ4 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:55 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:21 pm
FixMyZ4 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:00 pm
colb wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am
E85 is the model.
If you have a 6-cylinder with a dipstick it is an M54, if it is a facelift model without a dipstick it is N52.
Thanks, that is my first BMW and not clued in codes :)
Yes I have a dipstick - very sticky one, always tough to remove it, just like oil cap - sucked in be vacum.