Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK "NETT ZERO" ENERGY POLICY VERY TROUBLING

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:02 am

Good morning folks,
Well we have seen in recent months/last year or two how car ownership and enjoyment of non electric cars is being squeezed but on things are taking a turn for the worse it seems.
As many of you are aware this "were in a climate emergency " nonsense seems to be turning into hysteria by our so called leaders so much so that a new 442page climate /energy policy is/has been signed into law with only 9 vote against it I believe in the houses of Parliament.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for cutting pollution (is co2 pollution when plants thrive on it ??) You know the kind of pollution that China seems to produce by the coal burning bundle, but this energy policy for the uk citizens looks more like tyranny in my opinion.
Due to the 442 page depth of this government policy it seems to me the "nasty stuff they don't want you to see" is well hidden so I'll highlight a few points that may cause concern when this Nett Zero policy goes into action and is informed.
1. If any heating appliances in your house are deemed non sustainable or polluting (wood burner/gas or oil boiler) you will be required to stop using them and have them replaced or face a £15000fine and up to a year in prison
2. Your be required to fill out a form detailing what forms of heating you have in your home, failure to complete or accurately complete this form could make your liable to a £15000 fine .
3. Your energy supplier will be given powers (with police assistance) to enter your home to fit a smart meter.
4.your energy supplier will have the powers to monitor the energy use of all your appliances via your smart meter and remotely reduce your energy supply or cut off your supply if you exceed your co2 carbon allowance.
To get a better idea of how this legislation will affect us all there is a video on u tube ( Geoff buys cars ) that explains in more detail.
I think that's it for now, other than to say I'm seriously considering moving to North Korea because at least they have a bullet proof policy on immigration and illegals that try to enter their country (shot, imprisonment or deportation....I kinda like that)
I'll be interested to know your thoughts guys....its becoming a Brave New World
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:37 am

I live in a 400 year old house, I have a new boiler (under 3 years old) have insulted where I can, yes I have a wood burner and a smart meter - not certain what else I can.

While I agree we need to reduce usage and recycle etc. the idiots in power must also know that we need to live and move around, if they keep going they will turn the UK in 1960's Russia where you will need permission to drive an hour to the coast when its nice, the climate crazies are pushing it to far.

I can just see someone turning up in a street in the valleys with plod to force you to fit a smart meter - there will be riots.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:50 am

How about planting more trees and reduce lopping them at every excuse :roll:

Tim.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:02 am

As usual I suspect they happily let the 'worst case scenario' wind everyone up to the point of blind panic, then when they introduce actual measures we would have railed against initially, we are all so relieved we let them through without a word.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:22 am

These type of things are quite comical if you actually think of the practicalities of imposing them.
1 and 2 can only happen over a VERY long period of time. I mean, can you imagine the logistics, let alone the cost of replacing around 15 million boilers all at once? With regards number 2; just put down 'heat pump' and they will leave you alone as the UK government seems to think that the ASHP is the answer to all our prayers (which it definitely isn't). Who is going to check?
Number 3 has already been tried and failed. Lawyers will have a field day on that one!
Number 4 won't happen anytime soon (apart from maybe in new builds). Do they have any idea how hard it would be to monitor every circuit in an existing house? That is as far as they can go (unless every appliance has 'smart' capabilities and can relay when it is operating).

There are already new laws regarding wood-burning stoves. Nobody takes any notice as they are impossible to police.
There are new laws regarding private drainage (cesspits and septic tanks). Nobody takes any notice until it's time to sell, then it's down to the buyer. Nobody does anything because it's too expensive and again impossible to police.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:29 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:22 am These type of things are quite comical if you actually think of the practicalities of imposing them.
1 and 2 can only happen over a VERY long period of time. I mean, can you imagine the logistics, let alone the cost of replacing around 15 million boilers all at once? With regards number 2; just put down 'heat pump' and they will leave you alone as the UK government seems to think that the ASHP is the answer to all our prayers (which it definitely isn't). Who is going to check?
Number 3 has already been tried and failed. Lawyers will have a field day on that one!
Number 4 won't happen anytime soon (apart from maybe in new builds). Do they have any idea how hard it would be to monitor every circuit in an existing house? That is as far as they can go (unless every appliance has 'smart' capabilities and can relay when it is operating).

There are already new laws regarding wood-burning stoves. Nobody takes any notice as they are impossible to police.
There are new laws regarding private drainage (cesspits and septic tanks). Nobody takes any notice until it's time to sell, then it's down to the buyer. Nobody does anything because it's too expensive and again impossible to police.
So in addition to buying a classic car for ULEZ, there would also be a market for classic kettles, toasters, cookers etc.
I may start to stockpile for the inevitable rush. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:52 am

I am in the middle of a new shop fit where all this 'monitoring' equipment is being insisted on by the landlords.

The electrical costs are approximately £25,000 more than an equivalent shop. Our HVAC costs are double aswell.

All madness, as it doesn't actually make any difference to the energy consumption!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:36 pm

I'm on a roll now:

There is a huge wind turbine in the middle of a field next to where I used to live. It is a big one and had been running for about a year. Last summer it set itself on fire. It burned for days spewing out black, toxic, acrid smoke. Couldn't be put out as they couldn't get to it. For the last 18 months it has sat there motionless as they haven't bothered repairing it.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AvRzwUwqtU

'Green', or what? :x

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:37 pm

TOMGREEN413 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:02 am I'm seriously considering moving to North Korea because at least they have a bullet proof policy on immigration and illegals that try to enter their country (shot, imprisonment or deportation....I kinda like that)
:D
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:39 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:29 am
Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:22 am These type of things are quite comical if you actually think of the practicalities of imposing them.

So in addition to buying a classic car for ULEZ, there would also be a market for classic kettles, toasters, cookers etc.
I may start to stockpile for the inevitable rush. :rofl:
I have an old Cooper kettle and toaster anyone interested in it - even got an old whistle kettle for a gas hob, that will be worth a fortune next month :D
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:05 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:36 pm I'm on a roll now:

There is a huge wind turbine in the middle of a field next to where I used to live. It is a big one and had been running for about a year. Last summer it set itself on fire. It burned for days spewing out black, toxic, acrid smoke. Couldn't be put out as they couldn't get to it. For the last 18 months it has sat there motionless as they haven't bothered repairing it.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AvRzwUwqtU

'Green', or what? :x
Nice video thoroughly enjoyable viewing :thumbsup:

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:06 am

Yep, hopefully the policing and enforcement of these stupid laws will be impossible :thumbsup:

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:04 pm

The initial four points all sound like spurious nonsense to me. Apart from the obvious problems of killing people at the first winter, HM Gov wouldn't need to fine anybody for using a gas/oil boiler, they'd simply turn off the gas network and ban oil sales. Job done.

As with all things, whatever is at the back of all this will apply to new builds only. Government policy is almost never retrospective. See the 2006 changes to VED as an example where they added new bands, but only for new cars. So I imagine the rules would be aimed at people retro-fitting gas boilers or something like that.

Smart meters are another blind alley. Unless individual circuits in a property can be controlled (which certainly isn't a thing at the moment), the electric companies can't turn on and off whole buildings as it would a) cause chaos and b) kill people. The only thing that Smart meters will do (and has been done in industry for over 30 years) is to have a variable tariff for different parts of the day. This won't of course stop people using electric when they want to, just net the companies more cash.

And this one thing is where all of the eco-friendly ideas fall down - Joe Soap, on the whole, doesn't care. They just want to get on with their lives and don't understand the problem. One thing I find hilarious about the whole smart meter thing is the idea that people will monitor their consumption and use less. How thick do you have to be to not understand the correlation between how much you use of something and how much it costs. If you want to spend less, use less. But that is a concept that, time and again, passes people by.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:12 pm

In my case, I have an oil boiler as there is no gas here. So the suggestion would be that I would need a heat pump. Where do I get the electricity from to run that? It took me 3 months to get permission to have an EV charger installed as there was no capacity (and that is with me being the only one having an EV in the road out of 5 houses).

So if everyone is getting an EV and a heat pump, it isn’t going to work in my road.

I looked at solar panels to put on my barn, but due to the fact that burglars would be unprotected from a shock when trying to steal them, I would have to put a £15k security fence around the barn. Madness, so I didn’t go ahead.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:52 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:12 pm In my case, I have an oil boiler as there is no gas here. So the suggestion would be that I would need a heat pump. Where do I get the electricity from to run that?
Easy! Get yourself a diesel generator! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I keep saying, ASHPs are NOT the answer to all our prayers. They are pretty shite in a new build designed around them (underfloor heating, etc). They are much worse when retrofitted to an existing radiator system. They are also ridiculously expensive; only because the 'renewables' industry are profiteering on them. I know how much they cost to buy trade and it is a LOT less than is being charged to the public.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold