Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Android Head Unit installation for OEM Amp w/ DSP, w/ SWC

ashir

Post by ashir » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:53 pm

First of all, this is my first post here but I have been reading the forum a lot...

Hello there!
IMG_20230702_135958.jpg
IMG_20230702_135958.jpg (234.88 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
2004 BMW Z4, 3.0 (E85)
w/ S677 HiFi System Professional DSP

After extensive research for a month, I have finally been able to install the Joying Android HU on my car with stock speakers, amp, harness, etc. Maybe I will call it a plug-and-play setup with a twist - you will have to attach the cables and modules to the Head unit beforehand. I don't want fellow enthusiasts to go through the pain and remorse I went through. That's why I have created this installation guide. There are too many people out there who will tell you that this cannot be done without replacing your all speakers and amp. But trust me, even an electrical newbie like me was able to install this without any shocks or heat burns.
IMG_20230901_165305.jpg
IMG_20230901_165305.jpg (128.78 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
The guide is a long, well-detailed pdf with images and links for further support. I will post the equipment checklist here and link the pdf. There was supposedly a similar set of instructions someone made a long time ago which was lost and the OP was unreachable -
viewtopic.php?t=122211
However, my link will remain online as it is hosted here, as well as on public Facebook groups. Someone else with more experience can post links here as I am not sure if the forum allows linking to social media.

I will reiterate - this is an easy installation of any Android HU (with USB input) on E85/86 HiFi Pro DSP with working audio and steering wheel controls with stock speakers and AMP. So let's get into it -

Make sure you have a factory-installed amp with DSP Correct harnesses and adaptors Android head unit with USB input
  • I used Joying 10.1 single din android 10 unit – link
  • Dash Kit – link and M5 screw | do not use this alternative, as it is very flimsy, and the unit slips through it.
Following are the One Drive public links -
Installation manual
Print Edition

Working video.
https://youtu.be/FP2yhgPt6Sg?si=LGHUtzQsg7ojH_Gq
I had to replace the song with a non-copyright song on YouTube. I really love the Backstreet Boys :)
Feel free to reach out in case of any queries or feedback on the manual.

happy driving!
Attachments
Android_HU_Installation_E85_DSP_Ashir.zip
(7.56 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
[_] 2004 BMW Z4 3.0 (E85)
[_] 2018 BMW 530e (G30)

feket663

Post by feket663 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:53 am

Hello Ashir! Thanks for this manual, a lot has been clarified. My main problem is that I have the 10 speaker "premium hi-fi" system built into my car, but no DSP. Can I still trigger the built-in factory amplifier with the I-BUS app?

Thanks for help!!!

ashir

Post by ashir » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:51 pm

feket663 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:53 am Can I still trigger the built-in factory amplifier with the I-BUS app?
That is a good question. I was not aware of such a configuration.
The customer support of the I-BUS app was pretty good and they should be able to answer your question.
[_] 2004 BMW Z4 3.0 (E85)
[_] 2018 BMW 530e (G30)

z4Soxa

Post by z4Soxa » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:25 pm

feket663 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:53 am Hello Ashir! Thanks for this manual, a lot has been clarified. My main problem is that I have the 10 speaker "premium hi-fi" system built into my car, but no DSP. Can I still trigger the built-in factory amplifier with the I-BUS app?

Thanks for help!!!

Hey, so for our systems with 10 speaker with built in amp , but no DSP, You have to buy this specific harness.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-VW03B-Af ... r=8-2&th=1

On this harness there is a blue and White wire. This harness you take the blue and white wire , also you will take the red (ACC) wire and twist these two together. You will run these two wires to the red wire on the harness that comes with the new radio itself ! This will trigger our amp and you do not have to buy the blue bus or canbus!. I’m going to use Ashir’s write up and see if I can wire in the wires for the SWC functions. This is the only thing currently not working on my system and haven’t wired in. I’ll keep you guys posted, but I hope this helps :)

I have done this in my Z4 recently, this is how I know. I have a 06. 3.0 :)
Attachments
IMG_2064.jpeg
IMG_2064.jpeg (215.91 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

feket663

Post by feket663 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:29 pm

z4Soxa wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:25 pm
feket663 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:53 am Hello Ashir! Thanks for this manual, a lot has been clarified. My main problem is that I have the 10 speaker "premium hi-fi" system built into my car, but no DSP. Can I still trigger the built-in factory amplifier with the I-BUS app?

Thanks for help!!!

Hey, so for our systems with 10 speaker with built in amp , but no DSP, You have to buy this specific harness.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-VW03B-Af ... r=8-2&th=1

On this harness there is a blue and White wire. This harness you take the blue and white wire , also you will take the red (ACC) wire and twist these two together. You will run these two wires to the red wire on the harness that comes with the new radio itself ! This will trigger our amp and you do not have to buy the blue bus or canbus!. I’m going to use Ashir’s write up and see if I can wire in the wires for the SWC functions. This is the only thing currently not working on my system and haven’t wired in. I’ll keep you guys posted, but I hope this helps :)

I have done this in my Z4 recently, this is how I know. I have a 06. 3.0 :)
I chose another method to install the Android Head Unit:
I had a bluetooth adapter called Bluemusic installed in my car. It emulates an original CD changer and is plugged into the CD player's CD changer input. At first I just connected the Android head unit's line output cables, but that way there was no CD changer option in the original radio. I started to think about it and realised that the CD changer simulation wouldn't work until the bluetooth adapter was back in the system, because it also has a K-Bus connector, I guess that send the signal to the original head unit that there is a CD changer in the system. Once I plugged in the BT adapter the power and the K-Bus connectors, everything was up and running. The music sounded perfectly acceptable to me.
I'm aware that this connection may not be the most practical, but it's the cheapest I could get with my existing equipment.

https://youtu.be/7huafVZhi4o