Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

All Season Tyres needed??

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
wolfgangCoupe

Post by wolfgangCoupe » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:19 pm

Hi there,

I'm in desperate need of some new tyres with all four almost as bald as phil mitchell. Just bought the car so not experienced my Pirelli P-zeros in winter.

I find the Goodyear Eagle F1's Asymmetric 6's to be highly recommended and reasonably priced (sort of) for what they are. However I'm worried about the winter season approaching.

I know they will perform in the wet but worried that in sub 7 degree temperatures might not be as safe for the 3.0l si coupe. Any advice on this matter welcome.

Would something like a Michelin Crossclimate 2 be more appropriate or just kill the ride. For context I live in Kent so not as cold perhaps it may get up north!! (also it's on 18" alloys)

Best

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:46 pm

As a big fan of winter & all season tyres generally after recent experience covering 3k with a new set of the Michelin cross climates i can't rate them highly enough , if you had to buy one set of rubber that will tick the most number of boxes then these are the ones .
Just my own opinion but for 99% of users they are a far better buy than the Ps4s everybody raves about .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:04 pm

Yes Michelin CC2 will cover 90% of normal driving in the UK…and they’re about the most ‘summer-biased’ of the all-seasons available in the UK.

The Goodyear Vector 4Season is better in the snow, but loses out in the dry. The Bridgestone Weathercontrol is better in the wet, but isn’t as good in snow or hot & dry.

The extreme dry grip is not there with the Cross-Climates vs Supersports or PS4 of course, so if you do like to drive like you stole it in the dry or on track, then a spare set would be the best route…and yes, I’ve taken Cross-Climate-shod cars around the ‘Ring, Oulton Park and Cadwell…and they do complain - but on a wet October/November day at the ‘Ring the Cross-Climates were the perfect tyre :thumbsup:

But my experiences above are on Alfa 147, BMW 330D, and BMW 320D daily drivers…I’ve not put all-seasons on the Z4MC because if it’s cold & snowing I will use another car…or stay in bed…although it has never been on anything but summer tyres all year round as it was my daily driver for 150,000 miles. I have been caught out when the weather changed, but I’ve always managed to get through safely by not driving like a dick :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:39 am

not for me, no. i dont have all seasons on either of my cars and thats in leamington spa, let alone all the way down in kent.

i know all season tyres perform better in low temps, but really, its trying to drive in snow where you'll get stuck - and how much snow do you get in kent?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:17 am

I’ve used the Conti TS830 winter tyre and Goodyear Vector 4Season tyre on my E89..I’m using the Michelin Cross Climate 2 on my Volvo (yawn)…

No doubt that the new generation of all season tyres work really well once summer has gone..the grip in cold damp conditions is much better than summer tyres..you don’t need snow to benefit from these tyres..

The new all season tyres don’t go off / wear rapidly when temps rise to say +18c unlike pure winter tyres

If you can afford the overhead / space to have a second set of winter wheels then you won’t regret it if your car is a daily or you just want to be able to use it through the winter..

After getting rid of runflat tyres it’s the next best thing you can do..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:20 pm

I suppose if you might have to use it in the event we get some snow they might be a good idea.

I've been fitting winter tyres to my 3 Series dailies very winter since 2015 but only ever drove it in snow once in 2018 - they made a massive difference! It means I can leave my Z4 at home too. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

wolfgangCoupe

Post by wolfgangCoupe » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I've decided to go for the Goodyear Eagle F1's Asymmetric 6's for now as I think I can still enjoy some good dry weather over the next couple months!

Ideally I could have a spare set of alloys but not feasible financially at the moment. Worst case scenario I might have to invest in some pre-worn winters that I can get somewhat cheap and chuck on the alloys while the weather is bad.

I was close to Michelin cross climates, but they don't come cheap and was already stretching for the Goodyear. Don't often get snow in kent but sods law shall prove me wrong this winter I'm sure, with every winter tyre within 50 miles sold out and I shall eat my hat.

Excited to try out the new boots, any advice on the most affordable alloys styles/best place to buy?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:20 am

103 and 107 wheels come up here regularly and on eBay ..solid wheels that will fit your car usually at low prices..

My first set of winter wheels were 103s…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:33 am

If you intend to keep the car for a few years, use the car throughout the year and it’s your daily then I would certainly invest in a good all season tyre for the winter months on a separate set of alloys. It will only cost you the alloys in the long run. I’m running Continental AllSeasonContacts and think they’re better than the the Michelins for 90% of the time.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:34 am

Oops
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible