Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Extended paddle shifters

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hejnfelt

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Hejnfelt » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:45 am

Someone requested me to look into extended Paddle shifters for the E89.

Researching it a little bit, I found that anyone with the MSport steering wheel with the Pull/Pull style paddle shifters can use F30 stick on extended paddle shifters of which there are many options readily available on the market.

Hope this helps anyone looking for this mod :)

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:10 pm

Howdy-Hey. It was me.

Indeed, there are heaps of stick-on and other affordable solutions on the market. But it would look horrible. I’m hopeful for form and function. At a reasonable price.

There’s a shop in Silicon Valley that make bespoke carbon fibre extended paddle shifters. They want US$1,000.00 for the pair. I wish them good luck.

The challenge continues.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Hejnfelt

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Hejnfelt » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:14 pm

Maybe I misunderstood the problem and desired solution. Do you wish to replace the factory paddles with differently designed paddles? I understood you just wanted the extenders to "stick on" to the factory solution.

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:03 pm

Hi again. The former. The OE paddles need to come out, and in their place, new and longer and pretty paddles.

Something like this, but for the E89, which for some reason has a very specific steering wheel. Go figure. Hence the fabrication.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4538 ... TeEALw_wcB
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Hejnfelt

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Hejnfelt » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:54 pm

There is a big difference between the design of the E89 paddle shifter internals and the F series paddle shifter internals. The F series uses a little regular circular spring which is "free" but on the E89 the 3 little straight springs are molded into a plastic piece which is stuck onto/into the metal paddle shifter. This combined piece is what is your "paddle" and what you essentially want to exchange. I do not think any regular person can safely remove this plastic piece from their metal paddles without risking breaking it. This plastic piece is essential to swapping out the E89 Paddles with something else.

E89 paddle internals
paddle shifter pin disassembly.png
paddle shifter pin disassembly.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 600 times
The piece must be manufactured to incredibly small tolerances which are not achievable in 3D printing unless maybe printing with resin. This piece must fit into the hinge mechanism of the actual paddle before both are hinged with the pin to the switch plate which mounts to the steering wheel. See the attached picture and you will understand that even while it is possible to manufacture new paddles, it is the process of exchanging the metal paddles that is really challenging and involves high risk of breaking critical parts which are irreplaceable unless you're willing to buy a new paddle assembly from BMW which is about 500 bucks.

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:12 pm

Indeed, it doesn’t seem like a trivial job.

There’s a thread here with a fellow that was fabricating an adapter between the E89 OE hardware, and (I think) the F30 extended paddle shifter. Sadly that fellow is MIA.

The challenge continues.

Hejnfelt

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Hejnfelt » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:21 pm

You can see here how the F30 paddles have different internal design and construction. Although they look similar, the internals on the E89 are much more complicated.
F30 paddle shifter internals.png
F30 paddle shifter internals.png (797.72 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:21 pm

Yes. We’re saying the same thing with different words. As often criticised here, English isn’t my first language.

I’ll find the thread and put a link here. You’ll see. The solution is an adapter.

Feel free to PM me, and exchange WhatsApp numbers for easier communication.

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm

Here’s the older thread with loads of interesting things.

viewtopic.php?t=139432

Busterboo

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Busterboo » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:25 pm

Marcoose wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:21 pm The solution is an adapter.
But is there a problem? :)

The OE paddles work just fine. :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:18 pm

Busterboo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:25 pm
Marcoose wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:21 pm The solution is an adapter.
But is there a problem? :)

The OE paddles work just fine. :thumbsup:
For my superior driving zkillz, I need greater equipment. You know, always blame the equipment.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hejnfelt

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Hejnfelt » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:11 am

Marcoose wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm Here’s the older thread with loads of interesting things.

viewtopic.php?t=139432
Ok, so let’s ensure I understand things right. You have a very specific problem of upshifting out of tight left handers because you move your right hand down the wheel. The stock paddles don’t extended down vertically and therefore you’re having trouble reaching your upshift paddle.

Not only is this annoying, it’s also dangerous as you’re going fast and trying to stay focused, but fumbling around trying to find your upshift paddle robs your attention from the driving. This is a constant reminder and kills the joy of your driving your car.

You do not have the same problem on right handers because your right hand will be “up” on the right side of the wheel and the stock paddles extend upwards and are easily reachable in the position.

You don’t actually have a problem with the stock paddles if it wouldn’t be for this reach issue.

You do not want a stick on solution because it looks tacky blending the stock paddles into another design that is glued to the back? (my assumption)

Your solution is the swap the actual paddles with new paddles that extend further down… Although you don’t need extra reach upwards?

You don’t actually care whether it’s a new paddles or a stick on solution or something else in between, you just don’t want the tacky look of a stick on solution that reminds you every time you look at your steering wheel of how AliExpress it looks?

Please correct me if anything is wrong and add if anything else is the matter with the stock paddles.

Marcoose

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Marcoose » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:54 am

It’s very nice of you to have read and summarised the other thread. I mean it.

The challenge continues. Longer, nice-looking paddle shifters. All other solutions and ideas will most certainly not meet the desired outcome.

If you can crack the adapter (or the entire paddle), I will be forever very grateful.

Thank you. (And feel free to PM me for faster communication.)

Hejnfelt

Extended paddle shifters

Post by Hejnfelt » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:43 am

The summary is to ensure I understand the problem from your perspective correctly before proposing a solution - which I already have - but which might not satisfy the entire problem from your perspective but which I think will satisfy the described problem as I understand it.

You happen to hit a problem that I have myself experienced once driving the Z4 and it indeed struck a nerve and I can relate to the general idea of problematic upshifts on left turns in motorcycle racing where I have a lot of experience… That’s why you use GP shift pattern in racing.

Looking at the paddle, wheel and space design, my proposed solution is a clip-on extender that only extends vertically down to solve the actual problem and nothing else. The intent is to clip on the original paddle in such a way that it neither seen or felt during the majority of regular driving scenarios and only really is obvious, when you need it. This way you won’t be reminded visually of the stick-on solution when you look at your steering wheel top half and you shouldn’t be feeling the clip-on when using the paddles regularly.

The solution would be plastic to be flexible enough to “clip” on and to keep costs low and it would be black to keep visual impact minimal.

The clips would retain on the top and underside inner most sharp edges of the OEM paddles and perhaps extend to a third point on the underside to provide horizontal stability. With material rigidity and 3 points of contact, the paddle should stay in place with no glue and no feel during normal driving.

Would such a solution work?

matsmith749

Extended paddle shifters

Post by matsmith749 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:20 am

We could 'simplify the problem' even more.

Nothing wrong with the stock paddles, but he likes the look of the fancy ones he has seen on some other vehicle.

That's about it? As good a reason as any other for a wild goose chase.

On your marks, get set, go!
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior