Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wireless Apple Car Play (MMi Box)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:14 pm

I have the MMI box fitted and use it exclusively wirelessly but have noticed that my iphone heats up a lot and battery drops quickly. So I connected the phone via cable to a charger via the usb port under the armrest and that keeps the battery charged up but the phone still runs hot (not sure if that is because of the wireless connection to the Mmi box or because it's being charged).

My question is for those that use the MMI box with a cable connection i.e cable from the phone to the MMI box, have you noticed these issues i.e. phone heating a lot and or battery dropping or does the phone work fine?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:16 pm

Mine is connected via the wire, to keep it charged, but it does get warm. Probably not as much as wirelessly though.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:58 pm

The MMI connection works well with an iPhone but barely maintains charge.

Doesn’t run very warm but obviously our ambient temperature is much lower in Scotland…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:46 am

This is the thing temperatures here are at the moment between 33 and 40 even seen 49 one day and where the phone sits in the car the sun hits it, so maybe that is a factor too. I'll guess I will have to connect the cable to the MMI box and try it with it and see if it makes a difference. The phone heating up can't be good for it.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:02 am

I've used an iphone 12 pro max & a samsung galaxy s23 ultra in my z4 for carplay / android auto.

Using wireless they both get warm (not hot - but noticeably warm). Connecting with a cable for fast charging (not data), they feel pretty similar & get warm.

The warmness only feels similar to how they warm up when playing a game for an hour - it's just intensive usage of the fone & nothing out of the ordinary. I'm guessing that the OP never games on a fone, maybe car use is the only time the fone gets stressed?

I think it's just the way it is, and not a zed thing at all.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:14 am

Silverstar wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:46 am This is the thing temperatures here are at the moment between 33 and 40 even seen 49 one day and where the phone sits in the car the sun hits it, so maybe that is a factor too. I'll guess I will have to connect the cable to the MMI box and try it with it and see if it makes a difference. The phone heating up can't be good for it.
If you're using it wirelessly then don't have it out, place it in the glovebox or centre console away from the heat of the sun (should never leave phones in direct sun anyway)
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:27 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:02 am I'm guessing that the OP never games on a fone, maybe car use is the only time the fone gets stressed?

I think it's just the way it is, and not a zed thing at all.
You've got that right, I don't play games on my phone and it's definitely nothing to do with the car itself. It's either the phone and or the MMI box. The other day it got so hot that phone stopped working and I had a message on screen saying something about shutting down to protect agains the heat or thereabouts, it gets uncomfortably hot.
AnubisZed wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:14 am If you're using it wirelessly then don't have it out, place it in the glovebox or centre console away from the heat of the sun (should never leave phones in direct sun anyway)
That is a good point. Tomorrow I wil try it wirelessly but with the phone in the console / door pocket or somewhere out of sight and see if it makes a difference.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:10 pm

Depending on your phone, you may have an option for a battery conserving mode, this reduces the performance a bit (likely you don't notice) but makes it run much cooler under load.

Samsung galaxy do this for sure.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:09 pm

So for the past couple of days have been driving with the phone in the door pocket but still connected wirelessly to CarPlay and voila it's not getting extremely hot! Thanks Dave for the suggestion, I didn't realise how much this hot sun was affecting the phone even with the air con turned on and roof closed!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:23 pm

Silverstar wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:09 pm So for the past couple of days have been driving with the phone in the door pocket but still connected wirelessly to CarPlay and voila it's not getting extremely hot! Thanks Dave for the suggestion, I didn't realise how much this hot sun was affecting the phone even with the air con turned on and roof closed!
I had mine on Carplay for 5 hours yesterday in the centre armest box, connected via the USB MMI port..it was just mildly warm..

When we were using iPAds in the aircraft cockpits they would shut down preety frequently with the extra solar radiation at 10k feet ..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup: