Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bad back

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
PointedMarlin

Bad back

Post by PointedMarlin » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:29 am

Hi all,

Not driven my e89 a long distance in months & took it out yesterday for 100 miles or so.

I’ve woken this morning with a really bad stiff back, whilst historically this isn’t unusual it’s the first time it’s happened in months … coincidence?

I’m running 326’s & run flats so is that my problem or is it ultimately the driving position that’s screwing me?

Thoughts?

I’ve never given it much thought before but remember Ryan Giggs having hamstring problems as a result of his car so wondering if any of you have experienced similar or is it all psychological

Phoenixboy

Bad back

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:45 am

run flats certainly wont help the ride quality, but it can sometimes be difficult to get the seat just right, especially after moving it around.
it seems to be a trial and error thing unless you have electric memory seats, or we are just old and never comfy unless were in our armchair....
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Bad back

Post by B21 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:58 am

It does seem that fine adjustment of the position can have a big impact on subsequent back pain…

My pain seems to be ameliorated by shortening the reach to the peddles a little and as much tilt on the seat pan plus a moderate use of the adjustable seat bolster..

I found that also moving the position a little whilst on a longer trip helps to adjust your driving position…electrical adjustable sears helps for that one..

At my age I’ve started using NSAIDs regularly as I have arthritis in my shoulders too and helps me with everyday chores etc..

Not sure if any of those will help you…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Phoenixboy

Bad back

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:07 am

B21 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:58 am It does seem that fine adjustment of the position can have a big impact on subsequent back pain…

My pain seems to be ameliorated by shortening the reach to the peddles a little and as much tilt on the seat pan plus a moderate use of the adjustable seat bolster..

I found that also moving the position a little whilst on a longer trip helps to adjust your driving position…electrical adjustable sears helps for that one..

At my age I’ve started using NSAIDs regularly as I have arthritis in my shoulders too and helps me with everyday chores etc..

[/quote
i agree, small alterations, especially on a longer trip, can help with the comfort.
And as you say, a small change on the various adjustments can make a bit of difference.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

wanderer

Bad back

Post by wanderer » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:40 am

Is your car manual or auto?
My wife swore she would not drive an auto but after I bought an automatic Saab she switched over after 10mins and has not looked back.

I think that using the clutch on a regular basis affects the back, knee and sciatica.

My Z4 is auto, with non-runflats and I don't have problems.

That being said, I work at a desk at home all day long.
I found that after moving to a high table and riseable Bar chair type stool I don't have back problems any longer.

AnubisZed

Bad back

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:03 pm

I'm just not sure which one will hurt on any particular day, as I've got a bad back, 2 knackered knees, arthritic left ankle and arthritic left elbow in a manual car! :rofl: :driving: So do I live with it or give up the Zed? To be honest I live with it, as I have no choice, they all hurt driving my wife's Kuga so no advantage in changing cars.
Saying that the seat positioning can make a huge difference. But you can't adjust for getting in and out.
I wish you the best in finding a solution that works for you :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

N4LLY

Bad back

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:26 pm

Did 994 miles for the Lake district meet few weeks back.
No problem and i'm in my 60's
I use a situp and beg style of driving, maybe bring your seat position one notch closer to the wheel ?

Those that drive laying down and arms fully stretched, Weird :?

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Christopher72

Bad back

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:47 pm

I don't think the car is the challenge and the real fix has nothing to do with the car. Which stinks because that would be much easier. As we get older and often sedentary we lose fitness and health. After a surgery on my Achilles, I was on my arse for a year and went through a lot of new pain associated with degradation of ability, including back pain that was excruciating.... all of the cushions in the world did nothing. The muscles had atrophied.
Doctor recommended taking up an active sport... something to push me into a regimented recovery that i would enjoy. I took up martial arts at 49. After several months of even more muscle and tendon pain my body had built back up primary and support muscle fitness. My back pain disappeared, I feel 10 years younger. I still practice and spar twice a week. Life is much better.

My path shared may not be yours, but i would recommend to find something that pushes you towards better fitness that would improve your core muscles and reduce your back pain. If anything is hard to do... like squatting down or bending over, you need to do much more of it. The Get Busy Livin... model. Best of luck.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Bad back

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:04 pm

I had back issues when I first had my zed,15 minutes and agony, took a little bot of messing but got the seat where I had no issues with my back, my god the manual gearbox killed my knees but think that was age related more than the car.

The back pain can be removed but it takes some messing to get it right
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Use the link to gain £50 credit when you sign up to Octopus energy - https://share.octopus.energy/alive-raven-300

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Bad back

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:11 pm

N4LLY wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:26 pm Did 994 miles for the Lake district meet few weeks back.
No problem and i'm in my 60's
I use a situp and beg style of driving, maybe bring your seat position one notch closer to the wheel ?

Those that drive laying down and arms fully stretched, Weird
I'm also 60+ but I only did 877 miles that weekend!

No back problems at all but I did find it easier to make small adjustments to the seat with electric adjustment than in my 3 Series with manual adjustment - but I've finally got that sorted too.

Like you I also wonder why some people like being reclined when they drive. :?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Bad back

Post by MikeyH » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:24 am

Okay so I have an E85 and have always moaned about the seats to the point of almost getting more padding added. Mine are the sports seats and having adjusted them per what a fellow member suggested ie lift the front squab up and put the back more straight I’m finding them okay and back pain has gone. Perhaps as has been said play with the adjustments. Hope you can sort this out because back pain is awful. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Bad back

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:58 am

Took my body or should say right leg a year to get used to the driving position.
Even now 10 years on the steering wheel position gives me arm wrist ache.
I couldn't do a long trip say 50 miles until recently i changed some suspension parts to make car more stable.
It's ok for my daily drive of 14 miles round trip.
Also no lumber support, my old Peugeot 106 had adjustable lumber support for goodness sake..

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Bad back

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:02 am

B21 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:58 am It does seem that fine adjustment of the position can have a big impact on subsequent back pain…

Be careful taking Nsaids, i took for a week due back and leg ache, had heart attack. Never again taking naproxin.

craigdm

Bad back

Post by craigdm » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:29 pm

Swapped my 19" 326 with run flats for 18" and non-run flats and it's the best change I've ever made to a car.

I was on the verge of selling it until the change.
Z3 rare 2L Straight 6. Should have kept it!
E85 3.0Si sold back in 2014. Should have kept it!
E89 20i just arrived 2021

NS66

Bad back

Post by NS66 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:45 pm

I am 57 and have persistent back issues - getting old is no fun!!
not long done 700 trip - 4 days north wales and find the Z4 E85 so comfortably ( Sports seats / no runflats ). Much more comfortable than my daily EV (yuk!)
Getting in and out takes its toll mind but once in find it great.