Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G'day .. new member, old bloke from Kernow.

First port of call for new members
Brokenstick

Post by Brokenstick » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:21 pm

Thought daughters had forced enough web info into me for safe passage through forums an' stuff. Now not so sure .. just hoping this post works.
Did manage to contact another member, so I reckon there's a chance.
I'll happily rebuild most things mechanical, but these interweb shenanigans confuse the cr*p out of me.

Based in floating Cornwall, ex Big Healey pilot hoping to return to the straight six, 3.0 litre, rear drive, no roof brigade ... searching for pre-facelift Z4, but it turns out they have electrics, chips an' things.
Done lots of reading, but would appreciate any, specific to the breed, buying guidance .... also, feedback on this SMG paddle shift malarkey ... nice idea, but I assume there are problems.

Oh, incidentally anyone with a 3000 Mk1 or Mk3, for Z4 money ... please, please get in touch.

Thanks, hopefully, in advance.

Rick.
BTW ... jam on first.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum, always loved the look of the big Healey but never had the money to buy one. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:15 pm

Officially welcome, Rick.
...and mine is still for sale - now reduced to pay for that train fare :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=142057
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:26 pm

Hi Rick and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

From what I've seen the SMG can have issues and if they do it usually seems to mean the fix is expensive.

Z4s don't seem to suffer any more issues than other cars of their age although cooling systems, specifically split expansion tanks, are quite common. They can suffer oil leaks from cam-cover gaskets and oil filter housing gaskets.

Electrics aren't usually too problematic but you can get all sorts of random warning lights appearing if the battery is getting tired.

Crucial for the Roadsters is that roof motors get drowned in water from the roof drains. There are a few members on here who can sometimes revive dead ones but will also relocate them out of harm's way into the boot for sensible money which is a good preventative measure so it's worth looking to see if it has already been done. If not your nearest roof guru will be near Bristol.

Anyway good luck finding your straight 6 RWD car - and let us know how you get on - especially if it's a Healey! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Brokenstick

Post by Brokenstick » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:49 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:26 pm Hi Rick, welcome to the forum, always loved the look of the big Healey but never had the money to buy one. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the greeting .. much appreciated.

Paid £385 for our Mk3 ... in the early 70's! Yes .. I really, really, really do wish I'd kept it! Nothing like barrelling along with the good old iron lump firing once every telegraph pole ... always got out with the left trouser leg smouldering from the exhaust.
If y'all get the chance .. go test drive one .. you'll do a Robert Johnson.

Regards.
Rick.

Brokenstick

Post by Brokenstick » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:00 pm

inkey$ wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:15 pm Officially welcome, Rick.
viewtopic.php?t=142057
Thanks for the official flag waving .. always like an excuse for a pasty.

Trying to sort out the Forum PM thingie, so's I can organise a massive transcounty expedition across the Tamar to your outer limits of civilisation .. where are thee? Kent? That's very much abroad, so I'm informed.

Bear with me, Inkey$ ... I'm on the case.

Brokenstick

Post by Brokenstick » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:09 pm

inkey$ wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:15 pm Officially welcome, Rick.
viewtopic.php?t=142057
Thanks for the official flag waving .. always like an excuse for a pasty.

Trying to sort out the Forum PM thingie, so's I can organise a massive transcounty expedition across the Tamar to your outer limits of civilisation .. where are thee? Kent? That's very much abroad, so I'm informed.

Brokenstick

Post by Brokenstick » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:43 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:26 pm Hi Rick and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

From what I've seen the SMG can have issues and if they do it usually seems to mean the fix is expensive.

Z4s don't seem to suffer any more issues than other cars of their age although cooling systems, specifically split expansion tanks, are quite common. They can suffer oil leaks from cam-cover gaskets and oil filter housing gaskets.

Electrics aren't usually too problematic but you can get all sorts of random warning lights appearing if the battery is getting tired.

Crucial for the Roadsters is that roof motors get drowned in water from the roof drains. There are a few members on here who can sometimes revive dead ones but will also relocate them out of harm's way into the boot for sensible money which is a good preventative measure so it's worth looking to see if it has already been done. If not your nearest roof guru will be near Bristol.

Anyway good luck finding your straight 6 RWD car - and let us know how you get on - especially if it's a Healey! :lol:
Many thanks for the welcome ... and wisdom!

I'd clocked the roof motor and cooling system problems, it's the dirty fingernails underneath/suspension stuff that's always awkward to determine/diagnose when you're considering a purchase and really, really do NOT want to report to your other, and considerably better, half that you could just possibly have bought an oily, rusty, noisy, wet money pit.
It has been done!

Am looking at the logistics of a trip to see Inkey$ Zed .. our nearest relevant train station is 50 odd miles away!
Thanks again.
Rick.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Brokenstick wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:09 pm Trying to sort out the Forum PM thingie, so's I can organise a massive transcounty expedition across the Tamar to your outer limits of civilisation .. where are thee? Kent? That's very much abroad, so I'm informed.
All good, Rick. I'm currently based in Kent/SE London (Blackheath).
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0