Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie (Car SOS)

First port of call for new members
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:10 am

Chippie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:03 pm
Goshawk01 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:28 pm First question should I clear all codes and start again, too make sure they are all new codes?
I’d say make a note of the codes you have then clear them. scan it again without touching anything and noting the faults down, then start the car and try everything and rescan again.
Agreed as you have no idea what is relevant and what is just historic.
However, it is possible that the weak battery has upset something else, so post up the remaining codes and let's see what you've got.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:17 am

Goshawk01, just had a thought about the roof. It may not know the state of the windows as they can lose their memory after a battery disconnect.
Sit in the car with doors closed.
Using the drivers door switches, wind one window fully down.
When it reaches the bottom press and release the switch down four times within ten seconds.
Wind the window up and repeat the switch press procedure only up this time.
Repeat the whole sequence for the other window.
Now when you open the doors the window should drop a few mm.
Now try the roof. Fingers crossed.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:40 pm

I cleared all the codes. Switch off the ignition and then back on ( but did not start) I read the codes and there are 3 codes:

INSTR Instrument Cluster 3

Code 1: 87 K bus
Code 2: 2B020220 _ The Fault code is not found in the database. Please contact us to confirm.
Code 3: BE Data-filing different to central light module

I then cleared these codes, switched off the ignition. Then I started the car. Then switched off. Then switched on the ignition but did not start the car and rescanned. The same code came back.

Where to start??

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:49 pm

Goshawk01 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:40 pm I cleared all the codes. Switch off the ignition and then back on ( but did not start) I read the codes and there are 3 codes:

INSTR Instrument Cluster 3

Code 2: 2B020220 _ The Fault code is not found in the database. Please contact us to confirm.
Code 3: BE Data-filing different to central light module

I then cleared these codes, switched off the ignition. Then I started the car. Then switched off. Then switched on the ignition but did not start the car and rescanned. The same code came back.

Where to start??
As a double check can you individually check each module rather than a full system scan. Just to see if there are any modules that the scanner can't communicate with. That would lead us further towards a K-Bus issue.
Have you had a chance to speak to colb yet?
I used Scanner 1.4 on mine and it showed lots of modules it couldn't see, which eventually led to the K-Bus issue.

Check this thread
viewtopic.php?p=2002745

Seems I had the same codes you did.
Turned out to be some kind of sugary drink that had been balanced on the open storage lid and spilt down into the airbag module.

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:46 pm

I tried posting, thought I had but cant find it now??

I may be repeating myself but the codes are

INSTR Instrument Cluster 3 codes

Code 2: 2B020220 - The fault is not found in the database. Please contact us to confirm
Code 3: BE Data-filing different to central light module.

where to start???

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:54 pm

Goshawk01, yes you did post and I replied, scroll up a little bit.
Then take the time to read the other thread I linked to. :thumbsup:

colb

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by colb » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:57 pm

Note down the codes for reference then clear the codes, if they are hard codes (fault still active) the code will not clear and reappear on the next scan. See what the rescan comes back with and report back here so we know what you are faced with and offer advice on the way forward. Your welcome to pay me a visit in Newport and let me scan the car with my Launch Tablet, will be away 31st July to 13th August, planning on attending the Brynmawr Car Show Sunday in the town, will have the Launch Scanner in the boot.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:13 pm

colb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:57 pm Note down the codes for reference then clear the codes, if they are hard codes (fault still active) the code will not clear and reappear on the next scan. See what the rescan comes back with and report back here so we know what you are faced with and offer advice on the way forward. Your welcome to pay me a visit in Newport and let me scan the car with my Launch Tablet, will be away 31st July to 13th August, planning on attending the Brynmawr Car Show Sunday in the town, will have the Launch Scanner in the boot.
Bit of confusion in the thread I think, possibly due to all this lag on the forum lately. Anyway, he has cleared and rechecked and it does seem he is getting the same codes as I did with that airbag module mess recently.
colb, I think the next step is to definitely get you to scan it more deeply. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that it can't see a lot of the modules that sit on the K-Bus.

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:15 pm

Brynmawr is on my door step. I was a bit reluctant to drive the car down to Newport just in case I get stuck. But I think I can risk a trip up to Brynmawr on Sunday. I will also scan the codes individually rather than a complete scan to see if I get the same results or if its can not connect.

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:46 pm

I cleared all the codes then scanned each module individually. There were 36 to scan. INSTR Instrument Cluster had one Code: 87 K bus.

31 modules had communication errors and could not connect, the rest had no codes.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:11 pm

Pretty sure it’s a module on the Kbus corrupting all those other modules then. Definitely need to talk to Colb

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:58 pm

Job one, check all connections under the seats - Done - all look ok.
Job two, removed the centre console to get to the air bag module behind the handbrake. Removed and all looked ok until I unplugged the connections. One looks fine but the other. I'm sure it should not look like this. Not wet as such but very sticky.
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 2.jpg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Time for a coffee and then start cleaning.

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:02 pm

Job one, check all connections under the seats - Done - all look ok.
Job two, removed the centre console to get to the air bag module behind the handbrake. Removed and all looked ok until I unplugged the connections. One looks fine but the other. I'm sure it should not look like this. Not wet but very sticky.

Time for a coffee and then start cleaning.
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 2.jpg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 334 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:40 pm

Err, permission to feel smug?
Think you’ve found the problem tbh.
Give the plug a damn good clean out and keep your fingers crossed.
But I just had to splice a complete new plug in as the pins are so small and when they are full of crud it is nigh on impossible to clean it out

Goshawk01

Newbie (Car SOS)

Post by Goshawk01 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:14 pm

I'm not that lucky, its needs a bit more than a clean. One of the pins has rusted away. I think I can rescue the plug, but needs a new socket. To do this properly I need to get hold of a good socket and solder it into the PCB and also replace the plug. Not that difficult but where to get a plug and socket. Alternatively I can 'mad max' it and solder some wires to the PCB at the back of the socket and replace the missing pins with wires push connectors.
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 3.jpg (147.89 KiB) Viewed 323 times