Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Final flush using AC water condensate?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:01 pm

Hi,
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but someone must have done the thinking already… We had a new air conditioning device installed in our house a few weeks back, wonderful device during the hottest summer. The piping between the indoor and outdoor devices go through my garage and all water condensate from the indoor device is channeled to a sink in my garage — which led me to think, obviously, that if collected, would this condensate be any good washing cars? As a final stage rinse water?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:09 pm

DMike wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:01 pm Hi,
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but someone must have done the thinking already… We had a new air conditioning device installed in our house a few weeks back, wonderful device during the hottest summer. The piping between the indoor and outdoor devices go through my garage and all water condensate from the indoor device is channeled to a sink in my garage — which led me to think, obviously, that if collected, would this condensate be any good washing cars? As a final stage rinse water?
Short answer....yes! It is essentially distilled water from the atmosphere, so contains very little minerals and is as 'soft' as it gets.

The ONLY problem is you will need quite a bit and storing it is not a good idea. It is prone to harbouring Legionella.

OK if you keep it refrigerated, but that may not be practical!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

DMike

Post by DMike » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:09 pm

Thanks Pondrew, I’ll try to collect some to see how many days it takes to fill up a canister.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:29 pm

DMike wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:09 pm Thanks Pondrew, I’ll try to collect some to see how many days it takes to fill up a canister.
You did read the bit about Legionella, yes? :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

DMike

Post by DMike » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:29 pm
DMike wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:09 pm Thanks Pondrew, I’ll try to collect some to see how many days it takes to fill up a canister.
You did read the bit about Legionella, yes? :)
Yes, thats more a problem in evaporative ACs, not so much heat pumps. But storing water, which will have contaminations, will leave an opportunity for microbes. My plan was to use the water next day or so. Doubt that the AC will produce sufficient amounts, but we’ll see.