Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My rear end is much tighter now!

How-To articles are in here.
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:05 pm

Having done a major assault on the front end of the car with E90 M3 steering linkages, monoball top bearings, Meyle HD steering tie rods, adjustable camber plates, Ohlins coilovers..I was left feeling ‘loose’ in comparison at the other end…

I’d fitted adjustable camber arms but because the way the aged rear trailing arm system works as you adjust toe it interacts with camber.

However the rear trailing arm mounting plates have very little adjustment room and as toe in was a priority I was left with 2.5 degrees of rear camber which with wider wheels / tyres results in more trailing.

When I had the alignment done the boys said that the various bushes in the rear assembly were looking ‘tired’..

So a return visit with some very expensive better rear trailing arm bushes..thicker more adjustable toe plates and better rear linkage bushes with upmarket better bearings in adjustable ARB links were fitted today..

A nice 150 potter down a series of A and B roads from East Kilbride to Lancaster showed a much much tighter ‘ controlled rear end.

The linkage bushes were shot and the RTAB were definitely soft..

Deep joy..

Some pictures of the new bits, the old toe plates and a complete set of Lemforder / Meyle HD new parts which I had in case the snake oil remedy promised by the upmarket bushes didn’t materialise..

I’ve got the brand new OE / uprated items for sale if anyone is interested?
Attachments
IMG_7871.jpeg
IMG_7871.jpeg (191.54 KiB) Viewed 798 times
IMG_7877.jpeg
IMG_7877.jpeg (223.16 KiB) Viewed 798 times
IMG_7879.jpeg
IMG_7879.jpeg (202.57 KiB) Viewed 798 times
IMG_1901.jpeg
IMG_1901.jpeg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 798 times
IMG_1902.jpeg
IMG_1902.jpeg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 798 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:40 pm

How many miles has your car done? I think most of these Zed's suspension would be tired now due to age and mileage, even just replacing them with brand new stock items I suspect would make a big difference.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:57 pm

12 years and 70k miles

The N54 powered versions are much tougher on their rubber bits

Weight n power takes its toll

Age certainly doesn’t help

For sure just stock new rubbers would be better

A classic case of BMWs cheapest parts consistent with design objectives with the emphasis on comfort rather than performance

So so many parts on these cars are cost engineered to oblivion

Which is OK unless you are 10 years on and you want some half decent capabilities
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:48 pm

Revised geometry..focus on straight line stability at the expense of turn in and in corner grip…

More castor than stock circa 2 degrees…perfect toe in front and rear..more front camber less rear..overall quite close to Z4M / G20 M40i geometry..

Pre adjustment shows impact of removing front subframe to fit new turbos..
Attachments
IMG_1903.jpeg
IMG_1903.jpeg (130.26 KiB) Viewed 750 times

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:45 pm

Got to admit just replacing the front wishbones on my 23i transformed the driving pleasure of the car.
I know the rear toe on these cars makes them a awkward to reverse.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:51 pm

And there was me thinking you were just back from a weekend with John E89. :wink: