Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My loaner

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
fire-n-ice

My loaner

Post by fire-n-ice » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:29 pm

While waiting, very anxiously, to get my Z back, BMW saw it their hearts to give me a loaner :D . I asked for an M and they wanted to know if I'd been drinking that morning as they busted out in laughter. Hey, it's worth a try, right :idunno: ? So I begged them for at least a convertible and to their credit, they did try but just didn't have one available. So, I got stuck with this:
A 2007 335i twin turbo sedan with AHEM: ATTEN: ovrkll; real wood interior, and even though I don't have a convertible, they did pacify me with a sun-roof - not the peel-on kind lol!
As far as power/torque/ 0-60 and all that garbage, it has way more then my Z. But it is heavy and bulky and it feels less like part of the road then my Z. I especially don't like the manual transmission which steals my thunder. I love love love the steering wheel buttons and I could definitely get used to them. The cup holders are actually worth a sh!t, much heavier - held my coffee mug the other day just fine - not that I'd ever drink coffee in my Z but hell it ain't mine and I got to test it out. Going back to the steering wheel: it's too damn big around and too skinny, even for my sized small hands. It is the same width all the way around and I'm used to my sportier wheel which gives me more control over the car on curves - my favorite thing to indulge in. Backseats are useless but they're nice for a sedan...I guess. I am quite impressed with the front 1/2 of the car, it looks fantastic in my opinion. But when you get to the back, yuk! It looks like a cheap Ford product with taillights the size of my truck and a rear bumper that's just plain unattractive. It does not scream BMW like the front end does. And I know some folks have complained about the 'cheap' sound their Z's make when they close their doors, but the 335i sounds the same to me. Not cheap, just...like a door closing. I don't know yet if I like the key, it's just a square peg you stick in a slot, put your foot on the brake and push a button. This is what I think about that: :| . One more thing about the automatic in this car: the hesitation before acceleration really gets on my nerves. Even when you have it in m/s, it still hesitates - badly. That would have to be probably my main complaint. When I want to go, I want to go - NOW!
Well, that's my unprofessional synopsis. Hope you enjoyed,
T.
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

Color

Re: My loaner

Post by Color » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Well, at least they did not give you a 316, but something with a decent punch :)

But I have to say after reading your synopsis, you need to get yourself your behind the steering wheel of an ///M, woman!!! :D
It seems this little insignificant? letter is sucking away at your mind and better judgement :P , just like those of us whose willpower eventually lost the battle and we plunged into the pit.

It's pretty nice down in the pit, btw 8)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:43 pm

Nice review, I think it looks quite subtle as a 4 door - if it was debadged it would be a good sleeper. It's no looker though, is it?

Are they pumpkins in the pic, are you entering them in a competition?

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Hey, fire-n-ice, could you do us a BIG favor? Would you mind cross-posting this on E90Post.com? I'd love to see some of the E90 fanbois react to your real world review :D Pull an enfield and start some schit there! :lol:

And Wondermike's right... get an ///M, baby! The only thing that might bother you on the M is it's girthy steering wheel. :roll:
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

Color

Post by Color » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Rick Hunter wrote: And Wondermike's right... get an ///M, baby! The only thing that might bother you on the M is it's girthy steering wheel. :roll:
... Ahem . . . Wondermike? :)

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Hey, fire-n-ice, could you do us a BIG favor? Would you mind cross-posting this on E90Post.com? I'd love to see some of the E90 fanbois react to your real world review :D
The only thing that might bother you on the M is it's girthy steering wheel. :roll:
I would cross post but I don't know how :idunno:
Oh and, somehow I don't think the M's steering wheel would bother me that much...Firetrucks ring any bells :D !

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:56 pm

fire-n-ice, interesting perspective on the 335I :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:37 pm

hehe... and it's gotta be better than the 116 piece of s**t they gave me... like driving a bloody boat!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Color wrote:
Rick Hunter wrote: And Wondermike's right... get an ///M, baby! The only thing that might bother you on the M is it's girthy steering wheel. :roll:
... Ahem . . . Wondermike? :)
Oops... I meant Color. :oops: Color wants more girth too.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:53 pm

:lol: :lol:

Did not take long for this thread to degenerate.

F-n-I, good write up. Thanks for posting it, along with the pics of the pumpkins :poke:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Color

Post by Color » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Oops... I meant Color. :oops: Color wants more girth too.
You can never get enough :P

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 pm

Get or have? :poke: :lol:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Color

Post by Color » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Even if you have enough, you can never get enough. Get what I mean? :wink:

EDIT: That sounds awfully confusing, let's just lay the subject dead before I get lost in my own wordings :P

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:52 am

Oh yea, my pumpkins: they are a little harder to grow here and these turned out pretty good I think. I cook a lot with pumpkin, it's very healthy and so versatile. These are up for grabs for family/friends who want them...they won't be there long, trust me :wink: . I just picked them a few days ago. I'll get home from work Sunday or something and one will be missing :lol: , I love it.
I hope I didn't offend anyone with my experience with the 335i, but I've had it 5 days and have driven it like a bitch :evil: . That's my personal experience. Certain things impressed me, some didn't. It's all in what you want and like. I like the throw-a-bility of the Z. The sedan is way too family-oriented for me.
T.

azroadie

Post by azroadie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:41 am

I think I got the same car as a loaner last month ;-) I found some of the same things as fire-n-ice, but some dfferences too.

First, looks...nothing special here. Exterior is nice so is the interior. Good quality, but the interior is never a big thing for me.

Second, driving and road feel. The only way I can describe the driving experience is...it's a sedan and drives like one. There's no "hug the road, push it around a corner at speed" confidence like I get from my Z. This was very noticeable on my favorite on-ramp. Plus, I always felt there was too much of a disconnect between me and the road. Just too cushy...but again, it's a sedan!

Third, power...under normal driving, the automatic was just fine...again, (say it with me now) it's a sedan! But I LOVED the manual/sport shift mode. Once I switched into this mode and the car turned into a different beast for me. I was easily able to ramp up the rpms to the 6000s before shifting, giving the car a fantastic feel. So I can only image this would be even better with a manual or SMG tranny.

So all-in-all, I'd never trade my Z for one, but this is on the top of my list for a second car. If you're cruising through the city, dealing with stop and go traffic all the time, an automatic is the way to go. But I feel that all that great power is wasted in an automatic. BUT adding the manual shifting option will really let you have fun and punch it when the mood suits you. So if you looking for a normal car 75% of the time and a fun car 25% of the time, I don't think you could go wrong with the 335i. It's definitely on my wish list.
Supercharged Metallic Grey 2003 2.5i Z4 roadster, Sport, Premium, convenience, DICE Ipod, tinted winows, xenon, heated seats, clear bra, Falken FK452s, Supersprint Race Exhaust, modified CDV, ESS TS2 Supercharger