Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Water Leak in engine bay/Wet driver side floor

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:57 am

Well I'm not a betting man, but I think I found the problem...
IMG_20221107_230012174.jpg
IMG_20221107_230012174.jpg (143.6 KiB) Viewed 321 times
IMG_20221107_212736960.jpg
IMG_20221107_212736960.jpg (158.79 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Looks like I'm not the first one to be back here, but hopefully the last! All went well and even managed to swap out my door handles for shiny new ones.

Thanks again for both of your help! If you need my old door handles you're welcome to them :P

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:15 am

Love the optimistic use of masking tape on the passenger door. Holding what exactly? :rofl:

Hopefully all sorted now then....................... and at least you know the scuttle area is clean too. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:35 pm

skmattwell wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:57 am Looks like I'm not the first one to be back here, but hopefully the last!
The previous owner must have been a verewolf! :o
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 pm

Well, I've changed the driver side door seal with a new one from BMW. Cleared the scuttle out and cleared the drains from behind the driver and passenger seats. I've replaced the Yaw Sensor with a refurb from eBay, (all lights off!!). But...a bit but. I think I still have a wet floor under the drivers seat.
Any ideas anyone, are there any other places I need to look. I'm thinking blanking plugs, windscreen maybe ?

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 pm

[email protected] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 pm Well, I've changed the driver side door seal with a new one from BMW. Cleared the scuttle out and cleared the drains from behind the driver and passenger seats. I've replaced the Yaw Sensor with a refurb from eBay, (all lights off!!). But...a bit but. I think I still have a wet floor under the drivers seat.
Any ideas anyone, are there any other places I need to look. I'm thinking blanking plugs, windscreen maybe ?
Sure there are more knowledgeable people here, but maybe something as simple as a gap where the top of the window meets the soft top? Presuming you have a roadster that is.

Did you use new butyl tape when fitting the new seal?

If you've only just made the above fixes, would leave it a while for any existing water to dry out as it may just still be wet from before

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 am

[email protected] wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 pm Well, I've changed the driver side door seal with a new one from BMW. Cleared the scuttle out and cleared the drains from behind the driver and passenger seats. I've replaced the Yaw Sensor with a refurb from eBay, (all lights off!!). But...a bit but. I think I still have a wet floor under the drivers seat.
The foam holds gallons of water. Are you sure it's not just residual leaching out from that?
I'd suggest sealing the yaw sensor in a poly bag if you haven't already. Just in case.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:58 pm

Well all, I found another problem which I fixed, the bottom of the door card was flapping about and a big gap between it and the door. I think water was running down inside the bottom of the card and dripping driver side of the seal!
My membrane wasn't as bad as above but it was ripped. I sealed it all up with Gorilla Tape, I find it better than Duck Tape to be honest.
enff_zed, I took your advise and sealed the yaw sensor in a thick poy bag and sealed it all up with zip ties and insulation tape.
It chucked it down with rain the other night but I don't think it got through to the floor, I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for all your help :)
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG (316.94 KiB) Viewed 50 times