Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Formula 1 coming in HD!!!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
templed

Formula 1 coming in HD!!!

Post by templed » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Since F1 has been hot in the news lately, I was reminded of some great news for us fans in the U.S. ...

As some of you may know, DirecTV has recently launched a new satellite which is bringing their HD capacity up to 150 national HD channels, 100 of which are scheduled to be on line by year's end. News has leaked on various broadcast news sites that the first HD channel rollout (~20-40 HD channels) will happen next Wednesday 9/19. The 2nd rollout is supposed to happen at the end of Sept/early Oct.

The 2nd rollout is rumored to include Speed HD!!! And, if anyone watched the U.S., Canadian, French, or British GPs this year on Fox, we all know they are at least capable of delivering F1 in HD ...

Keep your eye peeled, as we may get to watch (albeit early in the morning) the last few GPs this year in HD.

Yeah baby!!!! :thumbsup:
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Formula 1 coming in HD!!!

Post by WLH » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:15 pm

Excellent News... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:36 am

I wonder if Dish network will be doing the same sometime soon.

templed

Post by templed » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:34 am

20ducks wrote:I wonder if Dish network will be doing the same sometime soon.
By all accounts they probably will eventually. The HD race is on between the sat-casters. Dish/Echostar had a minor setback a few months ago when their latest satellite blew up (KABLAMMO!!!) on the launch pad ... not their fault, the rocket just failed.

Dish is a bit more tight-lipped about their plans, but it's probably reasonable to expect them to catch up with DirecTV by spring or summer of next year in HD totality. That said, Dish does have history of turning on channels (1 here, 2 there) without much hoopla ... History HD getting turned on permanently last weekend for example. If I had Dish, I would just keep checking the listings to see if Speed in HD shows up. I'm sure a few emails from "concerned" fans would help to force the issue as well.
'05 Z4 3.0i, olivine green, 6 speed man., sport package, M seats, CDV mod, BMW strut brace, H&R rear sway bar, clutch-stop, non-RFTs!!!

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:46 am

I remember the good ol days with Direct TV and the infamous "Football" cards. :roll: :wink: :oops:

templed

Post by templed » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm

FYI ... the DirecTV receiver updates should start to get pushed down tonight to support the new satellite, so the first round of HD channels looks like it will happen tomorrow as expected :thumbsup:

I'll be checking the transponder signal strengths tonight for the new bird which should be showing non-zero values, indicating things are up and running. :D

templed

Post by templed » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Well, after some unknown delays, they're finally here ... no Speed yet, but that should happen in October

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dchannellaunch092607.htm