Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Basic stereo 6 speaker upgrade..update Amp added..final update, active subwoofer installed

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Yoghurt

Basic stereo 6 speaker upgrade..update Amp added..final update, active subwoofer installed

Post by Yoghurt » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 pm

Thanks Silverstar

I was not going to change the rears as I understood it was not worth it unless changing the amp (beyond my skills). However (and I know sound is subjective) did you do this and see an improvement with the original amp? I agree it would make sense to get the component set as the crossover cables are smaller than the box I was looking at.
I was going to see how the door speakers made a difference and then maybe upgrade the foot speakers to the same ones mentioned in the start of this thread.
Silverstar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:55 am
Yoghurt wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:03 pm Finally got round to adding the Crunch door speakers using the advice here which was great.
To save me taking the door card off again I added some additional wire from the door speaker and left it behind the tweeter housing which is currently empty.
Thinking of getting these matching Crunch tweeters.
Need to find a place for the Crossover box, assuming I need it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265690069408 ... BMwJT845pj
Yes you will need the crossovers, so you would need to find space on or inside the door to fit them. But why not just change them out for the Crunch component set: https://www.crunchaudio.de/english/DSX4-2E.html

They come with very compact crossovers which you easily place on the door and doesn’t require a lot of space. If you haven’t changed the rear speakers you could then use the ones you installed in the doors in the rear instead.
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:53 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:21 pm Thanks Silverstar

I was not going to change the rears as I understood it was not worth it unless changing the amp (beyond my skills). However (and I know sound is subjective) did you do this and see an improvement with the original amp? I agree it would make sense to get the component set as the crossover cables are smaller than the box I was looking at.
I was going to see how the door speakers made a difference and then maybe upgrade the foot speakers to the same ones mentioned in the start of this thread.
Short answer yes! My first step of the audio upgrade was to change the rear speakers and put the components in the front door and from all of them I could tell the difference. The thing with the standard amp is you don't get much volume from the rears but you can still hear the difference. Adding the amp allows you to turn up the gain (within specs) on the rears so they become more audible but still even without the amp I would say it's still worth doing especially given the low cost for these Crunch speakers. Might be a different case if you spending big bucks on some custom fit options.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:56 pm

I should add according to some car audio experts regarding sound stage, the rears should be just for fill, i.e. you are supposed to just about hear them when you turn your head left or right. I think this is why BMW have tuned them not to have so much volume as the fronts.

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 pm

Thanks very much Silverstar,
I’m tempted so had a look and found the DSX4.2E for £100 but also saw these DSX4.2C for £80 and they look very similar spec
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124604289808 ... R_zbn7KbYw

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:05 pm Thanks very much Silverstar,
I’m tempted so had a look and found the DSX4.2E for £100 but also saw these DSX4.2C for £80 and they look very similar spec
Those are the ones I got (DSX4.2C) I think they might be the older model but doubt there will be much difference so you may as well save a bit of cash. :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:44 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:56 pm I should add according to some car audio experts regarding sound stage, the rears should be just for fill, i.e. you are supposed to just about hear them when you turn your head left or right. I think this is why BMW have tuned them not to have so much volume as the fronts.
:thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:02 pm

Thanks Silverstar

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:46 am

The EBay seller accepted an offer of £66 in the end so that may be useful to anyone thinking of changing their speakers (see link above, assuming he has stock still )

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:00 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:46 am The EBay seller accepted an offer of £66 in the end so that may be useful to anyone thinking of changing their speakers (see link above, assuming he has stock still )
Can't go wrong at that price!

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:28 pm

Speakers arrived promptly and they were the DSX4.2E version !

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:56 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:28 pm Speakers arrived promptly and they were the DSX4.2E version !
They're a great speaker for little money.. nice to see these threads still proving useful :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:45 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 pm
Those are the ones I got (DSX4.2C) I think they might be the older model but doubt there will be much difference so you may as well save a bit of cash. :thumbsup:
How does the 4 square post fitting work with the BMW 3 post design?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:50 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:45 pm
Silverstar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 pm
How does the 4 square post fitting work with the BMW 3 post design?
Been a while since I done mine but if I remember correct you have to snap of one post. I think the info is somewhere in this thread. Not very difficult to do and these are seriously impressive speakers for what little they cost.

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:33 pm

2 of the Crunch speaker holes align with 2 of the 3 speaker screw holes so it seems pretty secure (so I did not end up taking a Dremel to the original speakers ).

Fitted my door speakers including the tweeters and could hear the difference immediately although not sure if that was just adding the tweeters, need to test them more.
Unfortunately one of the crossover units is faulty so for now I have just connected the feed to both tweeter and main speaker and am awaiting a reply from the seller .

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:35 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:33 pm 2 of the Crunch speaker holes align with 2 of the 3 speaker screw holes so it seems pretty secure (so I did not end up taking a Dremel to the original speakers ).

Fitted my door speakers including the tweeters and could hear the difference immediately although not sure if that was just adding the tweeters, need to test them more.
Unfortunately one of the crossover units is faulty so for now I have just connected the feed to both tweeter and main speaker and am awaiting a reply from the seller .
Not a clever idea to not use the cross over..especially with an underpowered amp…easily destroy a tweeter in seconds.. :tumbleweed: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: