Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Flat laquer. Best cutting compound to use?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
barnyg

Post by barnyg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am

Really need to do this soon. Have been planning to get a DA and get the whole car done, but I live in such a dusty area with no garage, so I keep putting it off!

Great results though :thumbsup:
[SOLD] 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe: Montego Blue, Cirrus Dash, Cruise Control, Nav, 18" CSL Reps, Eibach lowered, MM Tips, ZHP Gearknob, Sport Button mod, GROM BT3

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:40 am

john-e89 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am
Chris_D wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:43 am
john-e89 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 am You surely clay barred or mitted it first right Christefer...?
Of course Johnny. That's a bit of a 'given' though isn't it? :?
I used my trusty old Bilt Hamber blue claybar and just soapy demineralised water in a spraybottle. Does just as well as the ridiculously overpriced 'claybar lubricant' sprays.

I was also using a 50/50 mix of demin water and alcohol to wipe down every so often as there's a cherry tree close to where I was buffing that seems to be shedding an obnoxious amount of dust and dead leaves at the moment. Outrageous. :x
Try a clay mitt squire, so much easier than a bar and much quicker too boot. You can get a much better feel of how it’s going with a mitt too. :)
Nah. I prefer claybar. Lasts longer than a mitt as you can use it over and over. Plus, if you accidentally drop a mitt on the ground it's toast. You'll never be sure that you have all the contamination out of it even after washing it.
Been using the same scone-size dollop for 5 years now and never had an issue. Keep it wrapped in baking paper and the plakky box when not in use and it's always had the same level of pliability and pickup.

I don't really agree with what you say about being able to feel more with a mitt as I run my finger directly over the wet soapy paint right after claying sections, you can't get a more accurate or direct feeling than than that!
'Orses for courses tho init?
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.