Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A68c roof error-solved just for information

Kimmer

Post by Kimmer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi guys. First post here. Looks like I have taken on backyard mechanic of yet another vehicle. Just thought I would post so if anyone had a similar issue, they would be able to search it.

Roof (unbeknownst to me) was having intermittent issues with stopping mid operation and then would work later. (Husband was driving and he believes if it ain’t good and broke, keep driving. Needless to say, I hear about the issues when they are good and broke).

Finally roof stopped working completely and trunk would not open and windows would not work. Pulled the codes and only code was A68c. The only information says hall sensor. Took it into the dealer to get it diagnosed because “Hey, it’s a beemer” not like I was working on my Chevy. Shop said it needed a wire harness on account of the connector being broken on the hall sensor roof module 2 (which wasn’t broken when I took it in.... hmmm). They asked for a payment of $5000 to replace harness.

That was the point where I decided the z4 was going to be my victim.

Started by splicing the connector back to the hall sensor. Same issue. Took the opportunity to replace battery because it was reading pretty low. Read a whole bunch of posts trying to find similar issue. Watched a bit of YouTube. Replaced salmon sensors since I read enough about them causing issues that I didn’t want to get if I didn’t already have them. Tested wiring harness on both sides and operation of the switches. All tested seemingly good. Ordered a hall sensor. Ordered a new connector to fix spliced in one. Replaced both. Same code. Same issue.

Thanks to all who came before and shared a lot of valuable information.

Anyway, had my husband help prop the module 2 up on some boxes to access the harness in a better position. Ordered some silicone sheathed tinned wires and some connectors and the front part of the harness. Replaced the harness and spliced wires from the hall sensor at sensor and module ( leaving some extra for installing the connectors when they come in.)

After clearing code, the red roof symbol flashed at start up with three bongs. The roof button was still flashing. Just needed to activate close roof once and it works again presto! Btw, the wires were testing good. The sheathing was intact. I am assuming if I stripped the sheathing, I would find some breaks there.

Thanks for all the help! I wouldn’t have know where to start. The newtis site was awesome for mapping the connections. Robbie was awesome for providing so much documentation. I’m billing the husband a modest $2000 for the family discount.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Well done with the repair and thank you for sharing how you fixed it, I’m sure others will have the same problem at some point :thumbsup:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Robogo22

Post by Robogo22 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:49 pm

Hello, I have the same problem.

Could you help me where this cable harness is located.

Thanks